Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Political views ruining our relationship watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If you two have lasted this long and you've been okay, then what's the big problem? So long as you're not continually arguing about this, then I fail to see how it's "ruining" your relationship at all. People disagree with each other, get over it. If you only have relationships with people who believe the same things as you, I think you'll be looking for your next girlfriend for quite some time.
    Yeah, because girls who aren't neo-Nazis are so hard to find.

I'm amazed that so many people have no standards whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    just imagine the situation - 'honey, i'm jewish'

ReputationRep:
    Coming from an area which has "active" BNP involvement (and comparatively a large scale) I would say that it depends on how much a big issue this is to you. If it really grates on you to an extent that it affects your relationship then you need to consider the future you both can/will have together, if not then it shouldn't be a problem. Although different to a relationship, I have friends who are both pro- and anti- BNP, again due to the local situation. I don't judge them on this as I've known some of them since we were in nappies, and they're not "Left-Wing lunatics who kick off at every protest" nor "Kill all people who aren't White heterosexuals". Like I said earlier, only you can know if you want this relationship to continue or not.

ReputationRep:
    This isnt even someone with strange political views - but also strange social and cultural views. I understand political differences can dent a relationship, or a potential one. I'm conservative and had a brief fling with someone who was a radical liberal - hence why it was "brief". We're friends though and we tolerate eachother.
    However, I'm pretty sure neither a conservative, nor radical liberal could tolerate someone like your girlfriend. People like her are kinda in a league of their own arent they.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    I've always been a Labour supporter but like alot of people am now just fed up with politics altogether. After seeing Gordon Brown on the news, I got talking with my girlfriend about politics and was shocked by her views. She basically said that all politicians are useless and the BNP is the only hope left for this country. She's against mixed-race relationships, immigration, homosexuality and thinks Muslims are all terrorists. I'm much more liberal and I've tried to ignore this but it comes up in my mind quite often. Is it best to forget it, apart from her political views, I like everything else about her:confused:
    Don't worry, I'm sure that you will both come to your senses one day.

ReputationRep:
    She sounds like a charmer.

However, if you can live with it, and you like her enough to do it, then it's your decision. Talk about things other than politics. Be prepared that there might be a breaking point for you - if it gets that you're actively embarrassed by what she says, or it annoys you so much you're off-put sexually, well, it's probably time to go.

Maybe don't expect much support if things go wrong for you. In my experience such cheery hate-mongers as your girlfriend tend not to have boundless reserves of sympathy or support for their loved ones. It's not hard-wired into someone like that to understand difference very well.

ReputationRep:
    They're her views and she's entitled to them just as you (or anyone else) is entitled to theirs.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.