Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm going to graduate this year from Manchester Metropolitan in Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences.

I'm looking to study Pharmacy come the next academic year at the Robert Gordon up in Aberdeen, but I've not applied yet.

I've done my UCAS, I'm just waiting on my references. Is it too late for me to apply? What are the chances of getting in?

Please let me know!!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n5.the.carte)
    Hi

I'm going to graduate this year from Manchester Metropolitan in Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences.

I'm looking to study Pharmacy come the next academic year at the Robert Gordon up in Aberdeen, but I've not applied yet.

I've done my UCAS, I'm just waiting on my references. Is it too late for me to apply? What are the chances of getting in?

Please let me know!!

Cheers
    You are well past the deadline for equal consideration, so you will need to check direct with the uni that they are prepared to consider a late application (see link to article in my sig).

The other point you need to do some work on is whether you will be required to pay higher fees because you already have a degree (Equivalent or Lower Qualification rules). You should also bear in mind that you may not be eligible for maintenance or tuition fee loans this time round.

As to your chances of getting in if you apply - who can say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    You are well past the deadline for equal consideration, so you will need to check direct with the uni that they are prepared to consider a late application (see link to article in my sig).

The other point you need to do some work on is whether you will be required to pay higher fees because you already have a degree (Equivalent or Lower Qualification rules). You should also bear in mind that you may not be eligible for maintenance or tuition fee loans this time round.

As to your chances of getting in if you apply - who can say?

Okay, success!! So RGU decided to give me a conditional offer of 2.1 a few weeks after my application and I opted for it to be my firm offer. Now there's another dilemma. I actually got my results today, and got a 2.2. Sucks, I know. The worst thing about it is I was 0.8% away from a 2.1, having received 71% and 68% for two major units, 54%, 56% and 58% for the other three. What's even worse, is, the only reason I got a 2.2 is because I failed my damn optional unit but they condoned it as a pass at 36%. What is even worse, is, if I were to appeal (there's no doubt I would gain the extra 0.8% to get the 2.1) I wouldn't graduate and I would have to resit the module of my choice in September. WTF this is a complete head f**k!! Okay so I am happy, in a way, my degree is a very high 2.2 degree. But now I don't know how RGU will react. And my first degree being a 2.2 will have no relevance IF I were to get into RGU Pharmacy for my second degree. What are my chances now? Do they prefer graduates with 2.2's over A Level students? I wonder......

ReputationRep:
    Okay, success!! So RGU decided to give me a conditional offer of 2.1 a few weeks after my application and I opted for it to be my firm offer. Now there's another dilemma. I actually got my results today, and got a 2.2. Sucks, I know. The worst thing about it is I was 0.8% away from a 2.1, having received 71% and 68% for two major units, 54%, 56% and 58% for the other three. What's even worse, is, the only reason I got a 2.2 is because I failed my damn optional unit but they condoned it as a pass at 36%. What is even worse, is, if I were to appeal (there's no doubt I would gain the extra 0.8% to get the 2.1) I wouldn't graduate and I would have to resit the module of my choice in September. WTF this is a complete head f**k!! Okay so I am happy, in a way, my degree is a very high 2.2 degree. But now I don't know how RGU will react. And my first degree being a 2.2 will have no relevance IF I were to get into RGU Pharmacy for my second degree. What are my chances now? Do they prefer graduates with 2.2's over A Level students? I wonder......
    How disappointing for you -

I think you need to get in touch with the university and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    How disappointing for you -

I think you need to get in touch with the university and see what they say.
    Well what they said to me was, they will wait for the results for all of the candidates i.e. the A level students, which they will receive by mid to late August and give me a decision then. However, they have also said to me that they have in the past taken many graduates with a 2.2 degree. I wonder what that means. Do Universities prefer giving places to University graduates as opposed to A level students? My logic is this - University graduates could generally be more "reliable" so to speak, as they are already familiar with the whole University experience and what is expected from them in terms of work load, as opposed to an A level student who doesn't really have an idea due to lack of experience. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure however, RGU admissions are sick of me emailing them with a million and one questions lol, so I won't bother anymore! Let's just hope I get my place eh?

ReputationRep:
    Well what they said to me was, they will wait for the results for all of the candidates i.e. the A level students, which they will receive by mid to late August and give me a decision then. However, they have also said to me that they have in the past taken many graduates with a 2.2 degree. I wonder what that means. Do Universities prefer giving places to University graduates as opposed to A level students? My logic is this - University graduates could generally be more "reliable" so to speak, as they are already familiar with the whole University experience and what is expected from them in terms of work load, as opposed to an A level student who doesn't really have an idea due to lack of experience. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure however, RGU admissions are sick of me emailing them with a million and one questions lol, so I won't bother anymore! Let's just hope I get my place eh?
    That's all you can do now, I'm afraid. It's impossible to say whether you are in a stronger position as a graduate compared with an A level applicant, but there is hope if they have left it open that they have taken people with 2:2s before - and in your case, with a near miss like that, you'd be pretty unlucky not to make it. But, in the end, it depends on how other people holding offers get on in August and what room they have left when the ones they absolutely have to take have been accounted for.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.