The Student Room Group

what would you have thought if you were this girl?

Im female and have always been very self conscious and its resulted in me acting weird. For example six months ago my mum was going on about my hair being a mess saying I make myself look ugly that lads don't want girls who wear big hooded jumpers, sports pants etc she said Ive just 'no identity'. Anyway she offered to pay for me to have my haircut at quite an expensive salon so I booked an appointment and on the day went. It was only a small salon with about 6/8 chairs and as I walked in I saw a girl I recognised cutting someones hair from my school, we wern't friends but I remember playing with her when we were very young kids and ever since then just saw her around school/college.

Anyway with me being so stupid I got really self conscious and didn't want to go in/have an haircut while she was there. She seems a nice girl she smiled at me when I went in but I went to the checkout and instead of saying I had an appointment simply said 'how much is a cut and blow' they told me and I said 'alright thanks' and left lol.

I then thought well I gave my full name when I booked the appointment so the girl is going to know I had an appointment and will now think Im weird for just going in asking that then leaving. I don't know why Im so idiotic but my mum went mad saying I was mental when I got home haha. Anyway the girl has added me on facebook but I want to ask what do you think she thought? Do you think she knew that I walked out because she was there?

I know this is boring but things like this play on my mind maybe I need a life.
Dunno about your situation, but your mum sounds horrible. Like Regina George's mum from Mean Girls.
Morning :smile:

lol, she'd probably be a bit confused but if she's got a free five mins rather than an appointment :woo:

Don't worry about it too much (although you've made this post about it)

I'm similarly insecure about my hair but don't let it get me in knots.

that's it lol

have a nice day!!
i understand where you are coming from. you have to learn to think, who cares what she thought. ask yourself why you value her opinion! shes just another person trying to conform.
I don't think she thought anything bad of you...
Anonymous
Im female and have always been very self conscious and its resulted in me acting weird. For example six months ago my mum was going on about my hair being a mess saying I make myself look ugly that lads don't want girls who wear big hooded jumpers, sports pants etc she said Ive just 'no identity'. Anyway she offered to pay for me to have my haircut at quite an expensive salon so I booked an appointment and on the day went. It was only a small salon with about 6/8 chairs and as I walked in I saw a girl I recognised cutting someones hair from my school, we wern't friends but I remember playing with her when we were very young kids and ever since then just saw her around school/college.

Anyway with me being so stupid I got really self conscious and didn't want to go in/have an haircut while she was there. She seems a nice girl she smiled at me when I went in but I went to the checkout and instead of saying I had an appointment simply said 'how much is a cut and blow' they told me and I said 'alright thanks' and left lol.

I then thought well I gave my full name when I booked the appointment so the girl is going to know I had an appointment and will now think Im weird for just going in asking that then leaving. I don't know why Im so idiotic but my mum went mad saying I was mental when I got home haha. Anyway the girl has added me on facebook but I want to ask what do you think she thought? Do you think she knew that I walked out because she was there?

I know this is boring but things like this play on my mind maybe I need a life.

This lastest event is not your issue, the fact you have put so much thought into the event is the issue itself. Get some self esteem and stop loving being sad
I understand where you are comming from hun.

I use to have that feeling when I was younger - for example if I see someone from my school 5 years back I don't want them to see me normally they are changed and are different people, I too use to get nervous and turn my back and pretend I did not recognise them.

I think it's just confidence - most of us feel that way. However it's not right of your mother to be saying those things to you.

The fact that she added you to facebook shows she sees nothing wrong with you and wan'ts to be your friend. So please try not to let those feelings get in the way - I understand how difficult it may be but it might also be turning point.

Can I ask how old are you?
It's just about confidence - your mum wasn't trying to be mean, she was trying to get you some confidence, perhaps not in the best way, but she was trying to help. Why do you feel so self conscious? Do you think you're ugly? If you do, the way you dress isn't going to be helping.

As for the girl, if your this obviously self conscious she might be able to guess why you walked out, but clearly doesn't think less of you for it as she added you on Facebook. Don't panic about things like this, and remember, especially when you are a teenager, most people are just as worried as you about making the right impression and constantly feel slightly awkward. People aren't out to dislike you or laugh at you, the vast majority always want more friends and give new people the benefit of the doubt. Try and have a bit of confidence about it :smile:
To echo what everyone else has said, the girl probably didn't think anything of it.
And though you are clearly self-concious, your mum doesn't seem to be helping you feel better about yourself. The right guy will like you, no matter what you wear.

Latest

Trending

Trending