Turn on thread page Beta

why smoke? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saalih)
    would you call someone burning money an intelligent and well informed? i wouldnt...

and i think smoking is worse....plus it is harmful to others as well, how many smokers smoke only when they are alone??? who are we fooling here?
    If you judge peoples intelligence on whether or not they agree with you then that is up to you. I personally think thats how dictatorships start. If you dont think people smoke when they are alone you are very ill informed in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelenV)
    I thought someone was saying that muslims dont smoke. like i said, didnt read the thread.
    Muslims are not supposed to smoke, but some do.......because a Muslim should not waste money, should not harm himself/others etc.

ReputationRep:
    If you dont think people smoke when they are alone you are very ill informed in my opinion.
    i did not say that at all, i know chain smokers smoke alone also, but my point was do you think they ONLY smoke when they are alone because they dont want to harm others??? this is baloney, because they smoke regardless of who is around them, i never saw a chain smoker who putss off his cigarette whenever he is in the company of others!!!

ReputationRep:
    i did not say that at all, i know chain smokers smoke alone also, but my point was do you think they ONLY smoke when they are alone because they dont want to harm others??? this is baloney, because they smoke regardless of who is around them, i never saw a chain smoker who putss off his cigarette whenever he is in the company of others!!!
    Smoking is banned in public buildings the UK. If you think eg smoking outside a pub is hurting the public then I would like to see a scientific paper that shows evidence of this. You could apply the same logic to banning cars/planes as they pollute more. I have travelled around Egypt, India, Malaysia etc and where alcohol is banned more people tend to smoke in my experience. Hookahs are very popular in Egypt. But like you say, thats not the argument you are making so its neither here nor there.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is banned in public buildings the UK. If you think eg smoking outside a pub is hurting the public then I would like to see a scientific paper that shows evidence of this. You could apply the same logic to banning cars/planes as they pollute more. I have travelled around Egypt, India, Malaysia etc and where alcohol is banned more people tend to smoke in my experience. Hookahs are very popular in Egypt. But like you say, thats not the argument you are making so its neither here nor there.
    imo smoking is a useless stupid activity......waste of money, cause of death......

ReputationRep:
    imo smoking is a useless stupid activity......waste of money, cause of death......
    So dont smoke.

ReputationRep:
    I smoked for a short while. The reason I started smoking was because I realised that it was a great conversation starter. I met some interesting people when smoking. A stupid reason I know and I gave up pretty quickly because I realised that truth.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, who gives a $hit whether you (plural/anti smokers) think smoking is bad, ******, whatever.

Secondly, alcohol is the biggest killing drug in society and creates alot more death than smoking. So why don't you start a thread about people who binge drink/alcohol dependency?

Smokers smoke because they want to, because they enjoy it - it doesn't create violence unlike alcohol and it's the person's choice whether they want to fill their lungs with smoke or not.

Some - quote - some of you are so effin naive at your age, and haven't a clue about stresses of life including jobs/r'ships/death etc - you have no effing idea.

I'm quite annoyed about people's attitude on here - extremely judgemental.

Yes - i smoke, i am 29 and have smoked since i was 20. I smoked mainly because i was influenced by other smokers (friends/family members) and yes, i wish i didn't smoke and intend to give up for my health sake only and NOTHING TO DO with moaning asses like those of you who have nothing better to moan about.

Please talk about a subject with more depth other than smoking because its boring and smoking has been around for hundreds and hundreds of years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScouseEmma28)
    First of all, who gives a $hit whether you (plural/anti smokers) think smoking is bad, ******, whatever.

Secondly, alcohol is the biggest killing drug in society and creates alot more death than smoking. So why don't you start a thread about people who binge drink/alcohol dependency?

Smokers smoke because they want to, because they enjoy it - it doesn't create violence unlike alcohol and it's the person's choice whether they want to fill their lungs with smoke or not.

Some - quote - some of you are so effin naive at your age, and haven't a clue about stresses of life including jobs/r'ships/death etc - you have no effing idea.

I'm quite annoyed about people's attitude on here - extremely judgemental.

Yes - i smoke, i am 29 and have smoked since i was 20. I smoked mainly because i was influenced by other smokers (friends/family members) and yes, i wish i didn't smoke and intend to give up for my health sake only and NOTHING TO DO with moaning asses like those of you who have nothing better to moan about.

Please talk about a subject with more depth other than smoking because its boring and smoking has been around for hundreds and hundreds of years.
    i think you should relax first....i am also against drinking, but that does not mean we ignore the fact that smoking causes more deaths than drinking....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    I dont smoke anymore, but I used to smoke because I really really enjoyed smoking.
    mmmmmmmmm, I just love breathing in that smoky nicotine. Thinking about it is making me want to smoke......
    This is a good comment simply because it shows that smoking is not (just) 'i want to be cool'. It's pleasurable and addictive like a fat kid likes carbs and sugar. It is what it is and it kills....so do many other habits-MCDonalds, Dominos, Laziness (to an extent-definitely addictive), obviously drugs....don't demonize it...just another unhealthy habit, you just know more specifically how you'll go if you live long enough for it to get you.

from someone who smokes and does drugs. x

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.