Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can see why people smoke, I don't see how they get addicted and spend £15+ a day on **** though..

I started a few years ago because everyone disappears for a fag at my old office and it meant I got talking to people a bit more rather than alienated from everyone, but I never feel like I *need* a cig.. I've seen the bad side to it though so maybe that's put me off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gueirguiy)
    You're an idiot.
    well worked, I'm not the one that is ruining my lung.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    I can see why people smoke, I don't see how they get addicted and spend £15+ a day on **** though..
    yea imagine all that money spent on the poor & the needy instead....

ReputationRep:
    In the words of one of my friends: "dying's for neeks"

ReputationRep:
    For people smoking excessive amounts, like 100 a day, forgetting all the health risks and what it does to those around you, but doesn't the cost alone make you want to quit?

Let's say it's £5 a pack of 20 (easier to work this out), that's £25 a day, £175 a week, which is a little under £9k a year.

In that year alone, I could buy a car, go on an all-inclusive holiday with the girlfriend, book a hot air balloon ride, go bungee jumping an..

ReputationRep:
    Because it feels good. especially when you're working long/stressful hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saalih)
    yes i did try smoking cigarettes but it was very easy for me to let go of that habit..

i simply cannot understand how some people waste money on buying that and killing themselves slowly (and harming those around them)..nothing good comes out of it, and i dont know who told them they look "cool" when smoking!!!

Almost everyone knows how harmful it is, yet the tobacco industry keeps growing.....

taking your money and burning it literally is better than smoking......

Top 43 Creative Anti-Smoking Advertisements
    http://funlok.com/index.php/crazy-pi...-14112009.html

may I know why do you smoke?
    I smoke because I'm addicted, yes it was stupid to start, but no one understands it until they are addicted themselves, when I was younger I couldn't understand why my Dad didn't just quit. Now I know.

I don't know anyone who smokes who thinks it's cool, I don't think it's cool, you might do if you enjoy draining your money on something pointless, but i've learned my lesson.

You may think I'm with you on this but I'm not, I'm sick of being pestered and nagged for something I do, something I made a choice to do. It's a personal choice, not yours to make, I don't slate people who choose to spend £30 several nights a week destroying their liver, but sometimes the worst gets brought out of me.

ReputationRep:
    I think it tastes like ****.

It was very very very easy for me to let go, but shisha.....:coma:.

ReputationRep:
    It feels nice taste in bars, and winter days

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone I know started because it was 'cool'. At a guess around 1/3 didn't really like it much but are now struggling to quit, 1/3 don't really care either way but are addicted/do it out of habbit and 1/3 really enjoy it.

Why smoke if you're not gonna get high? FOOLS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodzinski)
    Because it feels good. especially when you're working long/stressful hours.
    Coffee...

ReputationRep:
    The people i know do not smoke cigarettes, the smoke something else , the reason is, they say they know they probably ait gonna go heaven, so getting high makes you feel like you are in your own (heaven), guess it compensates them

ReputationRep:
    I only smoke about 5 rollies a day so that equates to about 3 pounds a week (duty free prices).

Yes, 5 is too many, and yes, I should give up but I enjoy it and my daily routine is set.

I can't function for the whole day unless I have a cuppa tea and a rollie in the morning. Then it's usually after meals.

Like lots of my hobbies, I am aware of the risks involved, so there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookidge)
    I
    You may think I'm with you on this but I'm not, I'm sick of being pestered and nagged for something I do, something I made a choice to do. It's a personal choice, not yours to make, I don't slate people who choose to spend £30 several nights a week destroying their liver, but sometimes the worst gets brought out of me.
    don't forget that your smoking affects others as well.....no one is slating anyone here, for me it is just hard to get how can a person knowing everything about the harms of smoking cannot quit and keeps on spending money on it!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 and I've never smoked anything in my life ever. People are always surprised to hear that. Is it really so strange?

ReputationRep:
    It tastes absolutely disgusting. I can't bear the smell of it, there's just too much smoke. It's a pointless exercise and many people start smoking only because they were sad enough to obey someone else, or because it helps to 'relieve stress', or 3486987 other excuses that just aren't good enough.

And the cost is appalling. You could do so much more with all that money. You could give your kids the holiday of a lifetime, you could buy a new car, a playstation 3, the list goes on.

Not to mention it harms others around you. Smokers must be the most narcissistic scum to walk the Earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    For people smoking excessive amounts, like 100 a day, forgetting all the health risks and what it does to those around you, but doesn't the cost alone make you want to quit?

Let's say it's £5 a pack of 20 (easier to work this out), that's £25 a day, £175 a week, which is a little under £9k a year.

In that year alone, I could buy a car, go on an all-inclusive holiday with the girlfriend, book a hot air balloon ride, go bungee jumping an..
    Err surely nobody smokes 100 a day? That's a full one every 9.6 minutes if you're awake 16 hours a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)

exactly, i think they will get much more satisfaction if they spent that amount on charitable causes & help the needy....

ReputationRep:
    People enjoy it, like they enjoy to drink. Is that actually too hard to stomach?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saalih)
    don't forget that your smoking affects others as well.....no one is slating anyone here, for me it is just hard to get how can a person knowing everything about the harms of smoking cannot quit and keeps on spending money on it!!!
    Smoking only affects others if the smoker is careless, like everything else, I stand away from non-smokers when I smoke and don't breathe in peoples faces, you'll be harmed more from walking along a busy road with cars.

You obviously don't understand addiction. How about smoking, getting yourself addicted and then try not spending money on it, then talk to me. If people smoke when they're not addicted it's stupid, I'd support the government banning them, because it would be easier to quit if I couldn't get hold of them as easy.

I understand your point as I was exactly the same, until I started smoking socially myself and then got stupidly addicted.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.