Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Err surely nobody smokes 100 a day? That's a full one every 9.6 minutes if you're awake 16 hours a day.
    See page 1 of thread.

Or, let's say you do 50 a day. That's still coming up for £5k a year.

ReputationRep:
    Because its a nice, relaxing, social activity. And when youre young its hard to worry about something thats not going to affect you for another 40 years.

A lot of people seem to think its about 'looking cool' but for the vast majority of smokers its the same reason that they eat junk food and drink alcohol. Plus if you buy in bulk and roll your own its nothing like as expensive as people are assuming.

Ive given up now. I was surprised at how easy it was actually. Like anything thats worthwhile doing (hard work, exercise, learning) all it takes is a bit of maturity and self-discipline :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    i would probably classify myself as a social smoker, i.e. i smoke maybe one fag a week when my mate wants to go for 'a breath of fresh air' (we only have one common free period :p:), and sometimes quite a lot whilst i'm out drinking. i think cigarettes coupled with alcohol is just the nicest feeling. i am quite surprised i'm not a proper smoker to be honest because on one or two nights out i've gone through 10-15 cigarettes and hadn't had even the slightest craving the next day. no complaints though. :grin:

ReputationRep:
    May I point out that second hand smoke is an exaggerated truth, the uninhaled smoke is the most dangerous, and that only comes off the end of a cigarette or if some numpty doesn't inhale. After inhalation, the smoke that you breathe out isn't going to harm anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone knows how dangerous driving is, and yet every year people apply for a provisional license.

Everyone knows how dangerous eating junk food is, and yet KFC is never empty.

Everyone knows how dangerous being out in big cities at night is, and yet a large number of people go clubbing regularly.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Stop worrying and live.

ReputationRep:
    There's loads of reasons why people start to smoke: to look cool, peer pressure, just trying it etc. Sadly it can become really addictive for some people and thus it gets harder and harder to give up. As long as people don't blow their smoke in my face or anything I don't really care if anyone else smokes.

I tried a cigarette once, didn't like it much at all, and never touched one since. I feel that if you never start you never have to go through the struggle of trying to give them up

ReputationRep:
    Depression made me start. It calms my mind, eases my depression. It's like all the ******** I've gone through during the day escaping through a lump of smoke. It basically distracts me.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to smoke when drinking... I was a chain smoker for 2 years but, oddly, was never addicted. I stopped as soon as my bf and I split.....so for me, and I suppose for a lot of others too, it was the social atmosphere...hanging outside, sharing **** or lighters, chatting away... ah well....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cookidge)
    Smoking only affects others if the smoker is careless, like everything else, I stand away from non-smokers when I smoke and don't breathe in peoples faces, you'll be harmed more from walking along a busy road with cars.

You obviously don't understand addiction. How about smoking, getting yourself addicted and then try not spending money on it, then talk to me. If people smoke when they're not addicted it's stupid, I'd support the government banning them, because it would be easier to quit if I couldn't get hold of them as easy.

I understand your point as I was exactly the same, until I started smoking socially myself and then got stupidly addicted.
    are you telling me that no one addicted to smoking managed to quit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saalih)
    are you telling me that no one addicted to smoking managed to quit?
    No, stop creating strawman arguments. I'm not stupid. I'm starting to think you're arguing for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    Everyone knows how dangerous driving is, and yet every year people apply for a provisional license.

Everyone knows how dangerous eating junk food is, and yet KFC is never empty.

Everyone knows how dangerous being out in big cities at night is, and yet a large number of people go clubbing regularly.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Stop worrying and live.
    its a ratio proportion thing......or else one would stop going out saying it is dangerous....

smoking is horrible

ReputationRep:
    Well you know cigarette companies are a role model of how to play your cards if you are in a difficult industry. Smoking may make you no cooler than someone who buys designer cloths, but there is a certain status and image we attach to people who smoke (which has been carefully manipulated through advertising and product placement). Cigarettes have actually been carefully engineered as a product, you have to appreciate how subtle and beautiful the cigarette is as a drug delivery device.

Fast forward to 6:30, Linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7gpzOJv7Ps

I enjoy one very now and then socially :yes:.

ReputationRep:
    No, stop creating strawman arguments. I'm not stupid. I'm starting to think you're arguing for the sake of it.
    no i am saying if there were people who managed to quit, why do people keep repeating the excuse that they are already addicted so they will not quit!!!?????

ReputationRep:
    I gave up a while ago now and really miss it. I still have to use the odd nicotine patch when I go out with friends and everybody's smoking. I didn't really want to give up - doctor's orders.
    However, I'm probably more proud of myself that I've managed this long, despite really missing cigarettes.

ReputationRep:
    I used to because I enjoyed it (it was relaxing) but then I stopped around last year because it funcked up my fitness!!

ReputationRep:
    OP is boringgggggggggg.

ReputationRep:
    people smoke because they want to. they like it.
    not because they are impressionable and not because they arent smart enough to make decisions for themselves.
    because they enjoy some aspect of it and place it as more important than any risks. that is all.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're weak?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saalih)
    no i am saying if there were people who managed to quit, why do people keep repeating the excuse that they are already addicted so they will not quit!!!?????
    I never said I won't quit. But not everyone finds it easy to quit and some people aren't at a stage when they can quit. For example, if someone's got a load on there schedule for a while it would be even more stressful to try and quit at that time. I can definitely see your point, i've tried quitting myself several times. Yet it's not always easy.

ReputationRep:
    I never said I won't quit. But not everyone finds it easy to quit and some people aren't at a stage when they can quit. For example, if someone's got a load on there schedule for a while it would be even more stressful to try and quit at that time. I can definitely see your point, i've tried quitting myself several times. Yet it's not always easy.
    fair enough.....

i wish every smoker quits so that the tobacco industry suffers huge losses and shut down because they caused so many deaths & illness..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.