Turn on thread page Beta

why smoke? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    totally true, im being a hipocrit saying this, but these days people do it to "fit in" and thats how i started....I cant wait to QUIT!!!!! its sooooo bad for you~!!!!!!~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saalih)
    nothing gooooooooood about it
    to you maybe, i love it

ReputationRep:
    Because were idiots! Next question.

ReputationRep:
    People start for the coolness, they stay for the nicotine. Same reason as drinking tbh, it's all about chemicals. Plus there are some times in life that are just made for having a cigarette.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sad Clown)
    I smoked for a year. Quit 5 months ago.

Don't do it; you just can't justify smoking anymore. Anyone who starts is just a poser douchebag who wants to fit in by trying to look 'cool' (and yes this is from personal experience).
    You have personal experience of everyone who smokes? Are you sure? Are you sure you're not just a lying little ***** like the rest of the anti-smokers?

FWIW I don't smoke.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is for losers trying to look cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardine92)
    People start for the coolness, they stay for the nicotine. Same reason as drinking tbh, it's all about chemicals. Plus there are some times in life that are just made for having a cigarette.
    Ha. Sure. 27% of people can stop smoking on a nicotine patch. 13% did it on a placebo with no nicotine. So 73% of people who used the nicotine didn't stop smoking at all and half of the people who did can be accounted for by the placebo effect. How do these data fit in with your "chemical addiction" idea?

ReputationRep:
    i would smoke but i think its a waste of money. imagine how much money you spend on **** per month?! i'd rather spend it on new clothes, dvds and stuff

ReputationRep:
    There is and never has been a reason.

ReputationRep:
    If smoking can make you look this cool, I know who the real losers are :emo:

ReputationRep:
    I smoked 30 a day for 3 years, Never got addicted. The only issue's I had when I quit smoking, was the habit of having a cigarette in your hand.

ReputationRep:
    A pack of 20 lasts me about 6 months to a year . Sometimes you just need a fag, end off.

ReputationRep:
    I guess everyone has their reasons. I've smoked a few cigarettes in my life time but I don't enjoy it so I have never continued it. That's what I have trouble getting my head around is that your first few cigarettes never taste good so why do people continue though this? Because their friends are all doing it or because they want to get to the point where it felt good? You must have to have some motivation to smoke to keep going despite the fact that those first cigarettes taste awful.

Someone said on here about work breaks, I think that's why a lot of people in full-time work start or continue to smoke. Both my brothers started smoking when they started work because they're allowed more breaks that way and you have that 5 minutes to get away from it and de-stress, whereas non smokers aren't allowed similar break allowances, it's like smokers are given special treatment and if you don't smoke then you can be stuck all day without a break. For a lot of people their smoking break is the only time they get to go outside in their working day and it can be quite social.

For me, I never liked the taste, there's things that I'd rather spend my money on etc etc. However, can I just say that I have a similar view on alcohol, there are things that I'd rather spend my money on rather than intoxicating myself and suffering the next day, or watching myself throw all my money down the toilet the next morning to put it bluntly! However for some reason people don't have this attitude to alcohol?! Alcohol brings health risks, maybe even more than smoking. If you've sat down A&E on a friday or saturday night and seen the amount of people who have come in there drunk with some sort of injury or alcohol poisoning then you'll understand what I mean. When I was in A&E there was a woman there who the paramedics had picked up because she was walking down the sliproad to get onto the motorway and they were worried about her getting herself killed. She didn't know where she was, who she was, where she'd been, who she'd been with, where she lived or anything, she was completely clueless and very distressed and it was a definite eye opener for me! Alcohol makes you do stupid things to harm yourself in the short term and also has a long term effect on your organs, but for some reason today's society ignores all this in favour of a good night out. I drink but I don't drink to the levels that I feel that you're expected to as a young person and now it's like the pressure has moved from smoking to getting wasted every night of the week.

weak people smoke

http://dpimg.com/2009/11/Top-45-Crea...ements-023.jpg

i like this one ^

all these dumb posters say "1 in 3 people die from smoking" what and the other 2 are supposedly immortal?

only good thing about smoking is that it cures the salmon

The advice I give to anyone is DO NOT START! I started at 17 and I am completely addicted. The only time I gave up was during my pregnancy and I started again (not in the house or near the baby) and ever since then I have managed the odd months with the help of patches and gum. For me as soon as I get stressed I reach fo a cigarette and more then that I actually do enjoy it. I tend to think well, Id like to give up but at the same time Id miss it. The point about a cigarette being a "friend" is the perfect definition. I dont like the idea of smoking but not quite enough to give up. Addiction is very hard and only a smoker could tell you of the pull of ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    weak people smoke

You could say that about anything unhealthy and indulgent you massive tool.

Weak people eat all foods bar the bare minimum.
    Weak people lie or sit about and watch television.
    Weak people drink and enjoy themselves etc..etc..etc..

I seriously doubt you are the champion of stoicism so im not sure how you envisage yourself on such a high horse. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Aeolus)
    You could say that about anything unhealthy and indulgent you massive tool.

Weak people eat all foods bar the bare minimum.
    Weak people lie or sit about and watch television.
    Weak people drink and enjoy themselves etc..etc..etc..

I seriously doubt you are the champion of stoicism so im not sure how you envisage yourself on such a high horse. :rolleyes:
    im weak aswell, didn't say i wasn't, just not in the smoking way
    but smokers are weak too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    im weak aswell, didn't say i wasn't, just not in the smoking way
    but smokers are weak too

How are you defining 'weak'?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but those advert things are crap.

Smoking's great, it's like having a constant friend always there for you at any time. Yes it's a friend that slightly stabs you in the back, but they're solid, dependable pleasure.

Plus they're a great way to meet people, I certainly would never have met my uni mates without them.

Also, they're actually not all that difficult to give up if you really want to, I gave up for a couple of weeks but started again today just cos I wanted to.

As for "second-hand smoke", what utter crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    You have personal experience of everyone who smokes? Are you sure? Are you sure you're not just a lying little ***** like the rest of the anti-smokers?

FWIW I don't smoke.
    then go away you nosy nerd.

FWIW I think you'll find the mentality of most smokers is very similar, so it only takes one anyway.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.