Turn on thread page Beta

why smoke? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sad Clown)
    then go away you nosy nerd.

FWIW I think you'll find the mentality of most smokers is very similar, so it only takes one anyway.
    LOL you're not even old enough to buy cigarrettes and you're calling me a nerd pmsl. Nice one McLovin.

The only people who smoke to be cool are losers like you and your little friends hanging around outside an off license wondering if their weeks worth of bumfluff will be enough that they don't get ID'd.

Most people I know do it because they enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    I only ever had the one drag. Apparently I looked a fool, and I didn't even inhale properly and it tasted pretty rank, so I never did it again.

The smell of stale smoke and the yellow teeth are what turn me off, to be honest.... the smell in particular, since you might get lung cancer or something but you'll definitely reek.

I can sort of get it, because there is something relaxing about breathing deeply.... but at the same time I don't reckon it's worth the risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    LOL you're not even old enough to buy cigarrettes and you're calling me a nerd pmsl. Nice one McLovin.

The only people who smoke to be cool are losers like you and your little friends hanging around outside an off license wondering if their weeks worth of bumfluff will be enough that they don't get ID'd.

Most people I know do it because they enjoy it.
    not anymore; i admitted that which is why I think smoking is wrong. So actually we agree to some extent yet you still are argumentative? hmm? insecurity complex much?

And don't you call me a loser, you have over 8000 posts for christ's sake. (dude you actually cared enough to check how old I am? really?)

ReputationRep:
    not anymore; i admitted that which is why I think smoking is wrong. So actually we agree to some extent yet you still are argumentative? hmm? insecurity complex much?

And don't you call me a loser, you have over 8000 posts for christ's sake. (dude you actually cared enough to check how old I am? really?)
    No we don't agree. You think everyone does it to be cool, I think most people do it because they like it.

I glanced at your profile to see who I was arguing with. Took me about three seconds. And ~10 posts per day isn't really that huge considering most of my posts take less than a minute to type.

You are the one who explicitly admitted to being a loser because you smoke, and then called me a nerd because I don't smoke. Do you not see how that lead me to believe that you are a complete moron?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    No we don't agree. You think everyone does it to be cool, I think most people do it because they like it.

I glanced at your profile to see who I was arguing with. Took me about three seconds. And ~10 posts per day isn't really that huge considering most of my posts take less than a minute to type.

You are the one who explicitly admitted to being a loser because you smoke, and then called me a nerd because I don't smoke. Do you not see how that lead me to believe that you are a complete
    moron?
    Now you are just fabricating, I did not say this. I called you a nerd because why would you even care if you don't smoke? You're just SO intent on having your oppinion noticed, aren't you? Give up you stubborn dork.

And 'I glanced at your profile to see who I was arguing with.' is a poor excuse. You can see who you're argueing with, my user name is right there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    Most people will start because they think it looks cool, there aren't many other reasons to do that. Then, I suppose over time they become addicted and can't stop.

Anyone that smokes nowadays is an idiot (unless they started smoking when the effects weren't known)
    yes indeed. In between rapping to MC Hammer and saying words like 'bling' and 'rad' I like nothing more then a cigarette because it elevates my rep.

really however, i am quite philosophical and going for a long walk with a while puffing on a roll up helps empty my mind of all silly thought. Of course it kills just as alcohol does. But then again so can BMX biking, horse riding and running. Life is too short to remove all potentially dangerous past times. If you can use something to its full advantage then why not do it.

saying that, I find it grim seeing people smoke a 20 deck each day =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    Most people will start because they think it looks cool, there aren't many other reasons to do that. Then, I suppose over time they become addicted and can't stop.

Anyone that smokes nowadays is an idiot (unless they started smoking when the effects weren't known)
    Err, why does starting before the effects were known make them not idiots?

Anybody who finds out how bad smoking is, and continues, is an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Now you are just fabricating, I did not say this. I called you a nerd because why would you even care if you don't smoke? You're just SO intent on having your oppinion noticed, aren't you? Give up you stubborn dork.
    I mentioned it because I figured that if I didn't mention it while I was defending smokers you would assume otherwise, which was relevant since you had already stigmatised all smokers as poser douchebags. This can't be that complicated for you.

ReputationRep:
    Arghh I hate this question!! I seem to get asked it all the time I started smoking because I was so stressed at sixth form - I didn't give a **** whether I looked 'cool' or not. I smoke now because I'm addicted. I think it's extremely unfair to label someone an idiot for smoking when they know they risks - I'm perfectly aware of what smoking can and does cause, but I don't care. I don't drink a lot, I've never done drugs, I go to the gym, I study, I eat healthily, I don't use sunbeds etc etc so why aren't I allowed smoking as my guilty pleasure?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Not shocked, probably jealous...as am I :yes:
    I've never smoked. I'd rather never try it than try it and risk addiction.

then again considering how horrible I think it is.. I've no wish too!!

The closest I've come to trying was wasted on my 18th

ReputationRep:
    I've never tried it and have no intention to, however I've heard it's bloody lovely.

ReputationRep:
    I started through drugs.

Had to buy more baccy once I ran out because I still had some weed left. Then I ran out of weed and still had some baccy left. Vicious circle, aye?

Without me smoking, I wouldn't have ever met one of my closest friends (had no need to venture out into the college smoking area before I started) or come into contact with the others that I hung out with at the smoking area.

So I'm grateful that I'm slowly killing myself.

ReputationRep:
    They may like it. They may need it as a stress-remover at the end of the day. They may be addicted to doing it and couldn't care less about giving it up. They might just want to do it.

If they want to do it then let 'em do it.

ReputationRep:
    They probably start because it looks cool or peer pressure. Then get hooked and get convinced that they need to keep taking them (mentally and physically). Nicotine is the most addictive substance ever after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I started through drugs.

Had to buy more baccy once I ran out because I still had some weed left. Then I ran out of weed and still had some baccy left. Vicious circle, aye?

Without me smoking, I wouldn't have ever met one of my closest friends (had no need to venture out into the college smoking area before I started) or come into contact with the others that I hung out with at the smoking area.

So I'm grateful that I'm slowly killing myself.
    I just smoked weed out of a pipe when I used to smoke it! Didn't like it with baccy... :p:

ReputationRep:
    People love asking this question...I smoke because I'm addicted, I smoke because I work a crappy job and it's nice to have a break and get away from it to de-stress, I smoke because it gives me something to do with my hands when I get nervous, I smoke because I like it I know it's expensive and disgusting and i could get cancer and all the other ********, but I've tried quitting and people hate me when I quit, I'd rather just let myself have a smoke. I don't use a tanning bed which are considered as dangerous as smoking (source), and I don't want to live until 100 anyway-who would? As someone has already said, some moments are made for a good smoke

I started when I was 14, I don't exactly remember why (probably because I was friends with a lot of people who smoked), but goddamn I love my cigarettes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tangerine Dream)
    I just smoked weed out of a pipe when I used to smoke it! Didn't like it with baccy... :p:
    Ooh, fancy. :holmes:

I've done it from a pipe before... didn't like it so much. Just felt too awkward to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    For people smoking excessive amounts, like 100 a day, forgetting all the health risks and what it does to those around you, but doesn't the cost alone make you want to quit?

Let's say it's £5 a pack of 20 (easier to work this out), that's £25 a day, £175 a week, which is a little under £9k a year.

In that year alone, I could buy a car, go on an all-inclusive holiday with the girlfriend, book a hot air balloon ride, go bungee jumping an..
    HAHA! who smokes 100 a day? I don't smoke 100 a fortnight

(Original post by Gueirguiy)
    You're an idiot.
    This, people who try and correlate smoking with intelligence are just smug ***** tbh, the only point in life isn't trying to get close to 100 as possible

And most of those adverts just make cigarettes look ******* cool

p.s. Personally I don't think life would be better without cigarettes, alcohol, drugs and a bit of risk and unpredictability thrown into the mix

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy who literally killed his wife..she developed lung cancer from secondary smoke..people need to think about it before they start esp people my age who don't actually have any reason for wanting to smoke other than some inane need to feel cool or fit in.

ReputationRep:
    Pleasure of course; why the hell else?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.