The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

a_t
HAHA! who smokes 100 a day? I don't smoke 100 a fortnight

HAHA! The was a post on Page 1 referring to a friend who smoked 100 a day. Nonetheless, it doesn't change the figures for say 50 a day, or 20 a day; tbh, I know plenty of people who smoke 40 a day.

And just to clarify: I'm not against smokers. You pay more in taxes than you use as a result of the damage caused by smoking, as far as I remember :smile: As long as you don't sorta, smoke near me, mind.
Well, some smokers admit its a really bad habit whereas others say they love the feeling, so a combination of addiction and enjoyment. I've only tried one and weed about twice, but thankfully couldn't get past the physical process. They make it look easy, but it's bloody horrible, really vile. I can see why they get so defensive of people telling them to quit, as I have a quite a problem with drinking, and if someone told me to stop Id tell them to **** off. Though it really pisses me off that they make other people breathe in their fumes.
Reply 122
it hits me faster than alcohol and it cant get spiked
buuuutt im trying to give up simply because its not good for you and really not attractive.
Reply 123
My Grandad died aged 69 after a battle with lung cancer, after being a non-smoker. My Mum is the only person who smoked around my Grandad.

My Mum might as well have killed him.

That stopped me smoking. I realy wish my mother wouldn't in front of me.
I avoid being around smoke at all.

I loved it when I did it.
Reply 124
lodzinski
Because it feels good. especially when you're working long/stressful hours.

Smokers find them stressful because they're suffering nicotene withdrawal symptons all the time. That cigarette you speak of just restores you to how a non-smoker feels all day long.
Reply 125
Because they had an easy childhood and when the world actually got hard they couldn't take it.

I think smokers are utterly pathetic. They tend to be quite proud of smoking as if it is cool and seem to think it will make everyone think they've got a hard life so they need it.

But in reality they are thought of as losers who can't really take lifes pressures whilst every non-smoker accepts life for what it is.
Because it's adictive.

at one point I did smoke quite a bit, even if it was only for one week (trip to Italy, don't ask). I quit obviously when I came back but I still have cravings sometimes.
Reply 127
Nextmove
Because they had an easy childhood and when the world actually got hard they couldn't take it.

I think smokers are utterly pathetic. They tend to be quite proud of smoking as if it is cool and seem to think it will make everyone think they've got a hard life so they need it.

But in reality they are thought of as losers who can't really take lifes pressures whilst every non-smoker accepts life for what it is.

Epic generalisation fail. Idiot.
because "apparently" 100% of non-smokers die anyway :s-smilie: never know with these statistics though
SanjaSharpe
snakes

this
Reply 130
The most I have second-handed smoked was the time when I was in China. People there smoke ALOT. At restaurants, on the streets, etc. It was terrible. I couldn't wait to go fly home to smell the fresh air even though where I live is considered majorly polluted.
Reply 131
Christina90
Arghh I hate this question!! I seem to get asked it all the time :angry: I started smoking because I was so stressed at sixth form - I didn't give a **** whether I looked 'cool' or not. I smoke now because I'm addicted. I think it's extremely unfair to label someone an idiot for smoking when they know they risks - I'm perfectly aware of what smoking can and does cause, but I don't care. I don't drink a lot, I've never done drugs, I go to the gym, I study, I eat healthily, I don't use sunbeds etc etc so why aren't I allowed smoking as my guilty pleasure?

i do agree that calling a smoker an idiot is not right, i would rather use the term "weak" because despite knowing everything about it, they still smoke!!
Reply 132
LooCee
However for some reason people don't have this attitude to alcohol?! Alcohol brings health risks, maybe even more than smoking. If you've sat down A&E on a friday or saturday night and seen the amount of people who have come in there drunk with some sort of injury or alcohol poisoning then you'll understand what I mean. When I was in A&E there was a woman there who the paramedics had picked up because she was walking down the sliproad to get onto the motorway and they were worried about her getting herself killed. She didn't know where she was, who she was, where she'd been, who she'd been with, where she lived or anything, she was completely clueless and very distressed and it was a definite eye opener for me! Alcohol makes you do stupid things to harm yourself in the short term and also has a long term effect on your organs, but for some reason today's society ignores all this in favour of a good night out. I drink but I don't drink to the levels that I feel that you're expected to as a young person and now it's like the pressure has moved from smoking to getting wasted every night of the week.

i suggest you stop drinking altogether....it is even better...
Reply 133
Sequin
My Grandad died aged 69 after a battle with lung cancer, after being a non-smoker. My Mum is the only person who smoked around my Grandad.

That stopped me smoking. I realy wish my mother wouldn't in front of me.
I avoid being around smoke at all.

I loved it when I did it.

Your Mum did not kill your Grandad, there is every chance he would have got lung cancer anyway.
Do you eat a very healthy diet and exercise regularly? If not your doing as much damage to your body as those that smoke just for the pleasure of food you like and of being lazy. Why?
Reply 135
Renner
Your Mum did not kill your Grandad, there is every chance he would have got lung cancer anyway.

true but chances of him getting lung cancer certainly increased because of his mother smoking around him
Nextmove

You have no vices then? At all?
You do nothing to dull the edge of life? No promiscuous sex/computer games/booze/any thing else?

If yes, hypocrite. If no, boring.
Why do i smoke? As another frakked up coping mechanism apparently.
Reply 138
crazylemon
You have no vices then? At all?
You do nothing to dull the edge of life? No promiscuous sex/computer games/booze/any thing else?

If yes, hypocrite. If no, boring.

lol, how did you manage to put computer games along with promiscuous sex & booze???

i would rather be "boring" than smoke or do any other wrong act....but i do not accept that i am boring though
Reply 139
Sequin

First off, old people die - getting to 69 is not bad in the grand scheme of human progress. Secondly - you can get lung cancer without being near tobacco smoke. You're essentially making assumptions based upon a massive logical fallacy if you really believe what you've just said: you cannot assume causes for a disease without actually investigating it.

Latest

Trending

Trending