Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Football Manager stories thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Doing some globetrotting myself. I started off unemployed, getting a job at Robertsfors in the Swedish Second Division North [4th tier]. I got them promoted to the First Division Elite [2nd tier] in 3 and a half years before resigning. I then washed up on the shores of Spain with Ceuta, and got them promoted to the LIGA adelante after a couple of years. I then went back down, and after an indifferent start to my re-promotion capaign I was sacked. Ah well, now I've jumped to Italy to Paganese, who are in Serie C2/C, looking for promotion here to stave off administration. It's October 2017, and I should be able to win the CL by 2050, with someone?

ReputationRep:
    I ended my first season at Stoke taking them to an FA cup semi final, finishing 7th in the league and having secured Uefa cup football. This should have left me in a great position to build on my success, but my chairman spent all my money expanding the ground so again I was working with a tight budget. I was still able to pick up some great players for cheap though, Joe Hart for £2.7 million :awesome:

Spoiler:
    Show

I decided I didn't want as much bobble as last season, Delap was struggling to get into the team so I had to adapt a bit, hence some of the slightly talented signings. Fuller's goals dried up so scoring became a bit of a problem, Jo was a complete fail and I was relieved when he tore his calf so I could send him home, Santa Cruz was good but injury prone and the same can be said of Ruud who came in January. Diarra was an absolute steal from Madrid, and Johnson was also a good deal for 2mil.

My Uefa Cup run started in Azerbaijan :sigh: and I won four ties in obscure countries in Europe, and was drawn in a tough uefa group with Bordeaux, CSKA and Tromso (some Danish team). Thanks to the fortress that was the Brit I managed to sneak through, beating Bordeaux 4-1 and CSKA 1-0 along the way. This run was promptly stopped by Atletico Madrid in the first knockout round, but it was still a good effort overall. Aguero against Robert Huth was never going to work tbh.

Uefa Cup group-
    Spoiler:
    Show

My league campaign went well again, the top 7 all got their act together so I couldn't get into Europe again, but still got a good 8th place finish.

Final league table-
    Spoiler:
    Show

Tottenham's invincibles :teehee:

Season summary-
    Spoiler:
    Show

Top 2 signings of the season again :awesome:

However the highlight of my season was undoubtedly my FA cup run. I faced a quarter final against Man Utd, which I won 3-2 after extra time. Ruud Van Nistelrooy last minute equaliser :teehee:

Man utd game-
    Spoiler:
    Show

I was drawn with Villa in the semi final, and after a 1-0 win Stoke City were in the FA cup final. :puke: After a textbook parking of the bus...well...
    Spoiler:
    Show

:awesome:

I signed Artem Milevsky on a free, but this turned out to be a parting gift. Villa approached me, and after a horrible manager cliche such as "i'd taken the club as far as I could" I jumped ship, having transformed Stoke from long ball bobblers to FA cup winners and an established European club. :awesome: Now to make Villa a Champions League club...:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis1991)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Holy **** you raped City

I'm going to follow suit with my newly promoted Newcastle side. Managed to pick up Saha, Van Buyten and Deco for a combined fee of £1 million though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeppaloth)
    Holy **** you raped City

I'm going to follow suit with my newly promoted Newcastle side. Managed to pick up Saha, Van Buyten and Deco for a combined fee of £1 million though
    After a year or two, City's team is replaced by much better players. Santa Cruz, Johnson, Bridge, etc, can all be picked up on the cheap.

Man City's team on my game is unstoppable. Won the league five years on the trot now.

ReputationRep:
    Holy **** you raped City

Selling Hart for £2.7mil and replacing him with Simonsen for £2mil :lol:

Got a bit raped myself when paying nearly 1mil for Jo on loan, would have worked out fine if I had bought him for a fairly cheap arranged price but he was utter *****.

ReputationRep:
    All this talk makes me want to play FM again!

I just went for the easy option of being City and trying to assemble the perfect team

Strikers: Augero, Vagner Love, Milevsky, Cardozo
    LM: Zhirkov, Guarduado, Marquinho
    RM: Messi, Balotteli, SWP
    CM: Moutinho, Veloso, Dzagoev, Camacho, Ireland
    LB: Vargas, Rausch
    RB: Snra, Richards
    CB: Sakho, Zapatta, Fazio, N'Koulou
    GK: Akinfeev, Asenjo

Was starting to try and find regens but im not very good at it

I pretty much had 2 teams who could play and beat anyone so played my best/experienced players in one game and then if an easier game in 3 days, went for the 2nd team, who still wooped ass Was playing like 60+ games a season because I was just winning everything :p:

Wages were kept pretty low (like half the budget) :woo:

I should play with a more realistic team next time :p: If only I had the time..

ReputationRep:
    Selling Hart for £2.7mil and replacing him with Simonsen for £2mil :lol:

Got a bit raped myself when paying nearly 1mil for Jo on loan, would have worked out fine if I had bought him for a fairly cheap arranged price but he was utter *****.
    I followed suit and bought him for £2.1 million because of you, he best be good because I decided to sell Krul

My squad at the moment;
    Spoiler:
    Show

Going to try to find a proven goal scorer and another centre back if my budget will stretch. I also have an epic regen who is 15 and already looks like he could be back up

ReputationRep:
    Not a Football Manager story but in CM 03-04 (or 01-02 can't remember) I remember taking over a random lower league team because I had won everything here and in Serie A (the dog's ******** at the time). That team happened to be Hull City and they were in Division Three. I disliked it at first because the players stats were so rubbish...my top striker had a finishing of 8 iirc.

But through finding some gems (my own ones and some off the internet tbf) I was flying through the league. My top players were a Brazilian called Toledo, Orri Freyr Oskarsson and Charlie Adam. I secured back-to-back promotions. But I found Division 1 very hard. It took me three seasons to get to the Holy Grail; the Premiership (the name at the time). The board were, of course, in love with me and I had a statue built for me. They actually still expected relegation but we made a great start and were in contention for the UEFA Cup (the name at the time too) but an injury to Orri meant the goals dried up big time. We slid down the table and went many games without winning, it was demoralising. But we managed to gather a fine Cup run due to some very generous fixtures. I played Ipswich in the Sixth Round and won. We had Arsenal in the Semi-Final and prior to the game we had won three games in a row; beating Chelsea no less! We looked to have staved off relegation from that run and had a fully-fit squad for the Arsenal game and we were on fire. I was getting tired so I thought I'd play tomorrow. I turned it on tomorrow and...I got some message saying the file is corrupt and quit the game!!! All that effort and heart I put in it went just like that.

Never got the game back and we'll never know what might have been. (Lesson: never quit playing because this could happen.) Always remember that game because how much it meant and the tragedy. It was also funny to see Ian Ashbee, when Hull really made it to the PL, when I berated him all the time on CM. I'll probably tell this long story one day to my grankids lol.

ReputationRep:
    I followed suit and bought him for £2.1 million because of you, he best be good because I decided to sell Krul

My squad at the moment;
    Spoiler:
    Show

Going to try to find a proven goal scorer and another centre back if my budget will stretch. I also have an epic regen who is 15 and already looks like he could be back up
    You sold Krul?! How the feck did you get Van de Vaart?! Weiss is in your reserves?!

ReputationRep:
    I won the quadruple in my second season with Liverpool but my game has broke it won't go past the first of June no matter what I try. So I am going to do a game with Valencia instead and then re-try my Liverpool game after the update comes out. See if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    I won the quadruple in my second season with Liverpool but my game has broke
    Seems perfectly logical tbh

ReputationRep:
    Final league table-
    Spoiler:
    Show

Tottenham's invincibles :teehee:
    FM the most realistic footy sim in the world and Tottenham go undefeated :ahee: their best defender can't play 2 consecutive games..

Gonna try and pick up fm10, my 5hrs/week leaves me with some free time to fit it in. Hopefully put an end to Arsenal's recent dry patch.

Only recently got into FM and picked up 07 for £2, bargain, plus hindsight is a wonderful thing, though it's interesting to see who turn into world beaters, what ever happened to Luke Moore?

I'll do this soon. :yy:

Only problem is, literally nobody that plays currently is in my game. I'm in 2023.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the year 2078 with Newcastle on CM

FML

ReputationRep:
    I will do one of these soon. Just finished my first season as Liverpool boss winning the FA Cup and League Cup. Finished fourth in the League and lost in the semi's of the Champions League.

England won the World Cup in my file and Brazil got knowced out in the group stages so there manager got sacked. For a joke I applied for the Brazil job and they gave it to me, but it seems pretty pointless now the World Cup is over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)

FML
    I'm surprised your manager hasn't died yet.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)

FML
    Have you managed to have your son playing for you yet? And the stadium renamed after you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V1NY)
    You sold Krul?! How the feck did you get Van de Vaart?! Weiss is in your reserves?!
    Dunno, we got bought and the owners seem fairly rich. I get about £15 million per season for finishing top half which is awesome, I am awful in the league but good in the cups so it works. The season with the players you saw got me to league cup semis and FA cup final. My back room reports are always "We're pleased with the performances against high rep teams but worried by the complacency against lower rep".

Tbh Weiss doesn't improve much, I fancied bringing in Hart sorry and Van der Vaart was transfer listed. He (Van der) won English player of the year

On my current file I have Roma in the UEFA cup (Round after group stage). This season I brought in Maiihoffer and Santa Cruz plus an EPIC regen, when I get back on I'll post his stats. Basically at 17 he is already my best striker

ReputationRep:
    End of season 2010/2011 report. I am Utd manager, of course.

We won the Premier League, with 3 games to spare, I think. Happy to have won it, esp after a disastrous mid-season run, where I went 6 games without winning. It was 6 draws, though. Neither Dzeko nor Rooney were prolific, tbh, but my midfield pitched in, a lot. Table below:

Spoiler:
    Show

We also won the Champions League, beating Ronaldo's Madrid in the final. And a comeback too. The Ramos sending off helped, but we dominated the game, and deserved to win. See below:

Spoiler:
    Show

The squad that finished the season with me is below. Scholes and Neville are being released in a few weeks, but other than that I'm fairly happy with the squad. Giggs and VDS are staying for another season, if only due to the fact I want them as future coaches. I don't think I'll be making any major signings.... there's no value in the market. :gah:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Not being funny... but an Anderson penalty?

:facepalm2:

And oh jesus god, park scoring in a ******* european final. An attrocious mess, certainly.

The squad looks mediocre. Very surprised you did the double with that.

That league table looks a bit stupid, too.

I'll be back later for more criticism

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.