Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm from Spain and I'd like to go to UK on summer holidays to improve my English.
    I've thought not to do any English courses but to do something else, like photography, cooking...
    ¿What city would you recommend?
    I'm looking for cheap acommodation, so i guess London is not a suitable option.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, i'm from madrid doing photography/cooking in Brighton :p: but it's not cheap here...

ReputationRep:
    That's what I call coincidence!

When you say it's not cheap, how much is it?
    Where are you staying? in a shared flat? with a family?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManuelFromMadrid)
    That's what I call coincidence!

When you say it's not cheap, how much is it?
    Where are you staying? in a shared flat? with a family?

Thanks!
    Staying with family at the moment in a 3 bedroom house for £500 per month rent but moving out in a couple of weeks to a 2 bedroom flat shared for £400-450 per month if that helps you at all?
    This is just rent btw.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone??

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Manuel, another Spanish here (from Barcelona).

I guess I'd choose Scotland. It is like 15% cheaper than England, according to what I've read, and England is 15% cheaper than London, so if you lived in a uni residence, apart from the course's fees, you might live for £500 a month, perhaps a tad more, but around that amount.
    (Anyway, I'd try to avoid Glasgow, I've heard it is a very unsafe city and one of the most expensive ones in Scotland.)

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle is a great choice. It's got a lot to do, a large population speaking a major dialect (Geordie should be fun! You don't want to wind up speaking English like a Scouser ) and is dead cheap. It's also in a great part of the world - I love Northumbria. I have yet to find an English city that I like more than Newcastle

Cardiff would also be good, IMHO. Southern Welsh English isn't anywhere near as accented as Newcastle English, and Cardiff is probably a bit better connected than Newcastle.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.