Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I wrong in feeling smug at the bullies who made my life hell at school…… watch

ReputationRep:
    I am now at my final year in university with a future ahead of me (something which I never thought was possible during my school years). I can’t help feeling self- satisfied that I have made something of my life, whereas these people who made my life hell- are now either stuck in low- paid jobs/unemployed (living off benefits), or single with a flock of children

.…… am I just as bad as them?

EDIT: For those assuming I am a 'snob' towards all people who live on benefits/single/unemployed ...No I am not, my 'smugness' is directed at those particular group of 'bullies' who are now unemployed/living off benefits! ...However, if they are happy being unemployed/single/living off benefits...so be it! ...

Thank you guys for your positive responses...If I could, I would rep each and everyone of you...unfortunately, that is not possible, so I give you all my love and best wishes.

No, I feel the same. One of my old bullies served me in Tesco when I went back to Yarmouth last week and it felt gooood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    No, I feel the same. One of my old bullies served me in Tesco when I went back to Yarmouth last week and it felt gooood.

I agree!

ReputationRep:
    I think it makes you somewhat happy but sad.
    I would never want anything bad to happen to anyone without any given valid reason.
    I was heavily bullied throughout my school and life - they made my life hell at school it got to a point where they threatened to kill me and they did beat me up at one point it was horrible!

However it would be great if these bullies realise what they are doing is wrong and I hope whatever their career or chosen field is they have learnt that bullying is not the right way to get things.

But yeah I see where you are comming from to an extent I feel guilty having those feelings :-/

ReputationRep:
    It makes it all worth while!

ReputationRep:
    Meh, who cares? Doesn't make you as bad as them IMO.

(Original post by Anonymous.)
    I think it makes you somewhat happy but sad.
    I would never want anything bad to happen to anyone without any given valid reason.
    Presumably the valid reason would be that they bullied people in school and are generally, as Jeremy Kyle would put it, scum.

ReputationRep:
    That's definitely not wrong You're allowed to be smug after how they treated you... everyone gets what they deserve in the end!

ReputationRep:
    You've worked hard, feel good!

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't bullied but I feel smug when I see people who I don't like (for good reason, they just didn't pick on me personally) from school in photos on facebook in front of banners which say 'exclusive parties' or something and the fact that they think paying to attend an event organised by a couple of chavs who got 3rds at city university makes them exclusive or socialites. But maybe that's just because I a bit of a *****. Still, similar thing - you see them effectively failing because of their own shortcomings and it feels gooood.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone
    I felt guilty as I am being smug at their lowliness...just as they were smug about my lowliness...and it made me feel as if I was no better than what they were

ReputationRep:
    Nah I would feel quite sorry for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by someonenowhere)
    I am now at my final year in university with a future ahead of me (something which I never thought was possible during my school years). I can’t help feeling self- satisfied that I have made something of my life, whereas these people who made my life hell- are now either stuck in low- paid jobs/unemployed (living off benefits), or single with a flock of children

.…… am I just as bad as them?
    Nope, you're not. Go you :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not at all. Enjoy that smug feeling.
    :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I feel mightily smug at the way in which the group of girls who bullied me at school (thank god, they all left before 6th form - don't think I could have coped with two years more of them, then!) have all managed to fail at life spectacularly since (I pity their parents having wasted their money on sending them to my school). Not one of them has gone to uni or apparently has any plans/the ability to do so, only one of them has a job - selling windows over the phone, and two are single parents.

I'm not normally someone who takes pleasure in the misfortune of others, but when those others are people who tried so hard (and succeeded for a while) to make my life a complete and utter misery, I can't help but gloat.

ReputationRep:
    I felt the same as you at one stage. It's a very natural reaction. However . . .

I was bullied when I was 14/15 and just wanted to get out of the hell that was school, didn't care about exams, and couldn't envisage much of a future for myself, believing I was worthless. Now I have two degrees behind me and a promising career ahead. It would be easy to be self-satisfied.

I do think, though, that you need to demonstrate to yourself more than anyone else that you're a bigger person, and that being bullied partly made you that way. If I saw my bullies now, and they were miserable and downtrodden, I'd not rub their faces in it. I'd like to think I'd treat them with kindness: because that's what their bullying has done to me, made me stronger, not weaker; and bitterness and resentment are weak attributes. I don't need to make other people feel worthless, like bullies do, because I'm a success in my life no matter what anyone else does with theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wyrd14)
    I felt the same as you at one stage. It's a very natural reaction. However . . .

I was bullied when I was 14/15 and just wanted to get out of the hell that was school, didn't care about exams, and couldn't envisage much of a future for myself, believing I was worthless. Now I have two degrees behind me and a promising career ahead. It would be easy to be self-satisfied.

I do think, though, that you need to demonstrate to yourself more than anyone else that you're a bigger person, and that being bullied partly made you that way. If I saw my bullies now, and they were miserable and downtrodden, I'd not rub their faces in it. I'd like to think I'd treat them with kindness: because that's what their bullying has done to me, made me stronger, not weaker; and bitterness and resentment are weak attributes. I don't need to make other people feel worthless, like bullies do, because I'm a success in my life no matter what anyone else does with theirs.

Go you Wyrd14 :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Wow, so having a job now makes one beneath you?

You go Snorlax, you go!

ReputationRep:
    naa, its cool,

I actually met some of them in a class reunion, and I daresay 3 of them are in ****** menial, (macdonalds-esque) jobs and the other one is doing a vocational BTEC in something like travel and tourism (or some other crap), whilst I attended one of the best schools in the country and am the happy holder of 6A* 4A at GCSE(not great by TSR I know) compared to their barely pass grades

ReputationRep:
    No your not wrong, bask in the smugness :yes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.