Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I wrong in feeling smug at the bullies who made my life hell at school…… watch

ReputationRep:
    **** them :cool:

ReputationRep:
    No, I feel like that too. Though on the strength of this thread I looked up a few ex-bullies on Facebook and two of them are at decent universities doing highly respected subjects. Ah, crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Wow, so having a job now makes one beneath you?

You go Snorlax, you go!
    tbh a person who works in tesco (ie has failed) and who bullied someone is most definitely 'beneath' someone who is studying for a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hell No, Im exactly the same. Some girls made my life hell back in school and I see them around.. still exactly the same people as in school, lifes not going so great and I cant help feel happy for the beauty of Karma.

(Original post by Fawn)
    Wow, so having a job now makes one beneath you?

You go Snorlax, you go!
    The fact they work at Tesco in Great Yarmouth and probably will do for the rest of their miserable lives makes me feel happy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

ReputationRep:
    If it makes you happy without affecting them then go for it!

They won't know you're feeling smug and happy, will they?

ReputationRep:
    The fact you're actually making a thread about this though suggests they're probably happier than you, "academic success" or no.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah of course you do. This prick that broke my nose nine years ago has been doing the same thing for about four years - nothing.

ReputationRep:
    All the kids who used to take the piss out of me at school - oddly enough, for being smart, and reading in registration, rather than doing my hair - are in different states of crapness; most are single parents, and either working minimum wage or on the dole.

I feel righteous, but it's not as pronounced lately as I'm unemployed until I move to Germany next week

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone's 'beneath' anyone in the grand scheme of things. Maybe they are in a socioeconomic sense and whatever but come onnnn, low-paid jobs don't mean you've failed.

I've worked some mind destroyingly rubbish jobs to help fund for uni, doesn't mean at any point any of you were 'above' me in any real way.

But saying all that, I bet it feels quite good if they were really bad to you...

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I hope this isn't how all of TSR feel and this is just a group of resentful snobs that are replying to this thread. I don't know, as fortunately I was never bullied and was never a bully.

But how can people assume someone's life is miserable and worthless just because of their facebook profile or they work in tesco? They probably have dreams and aspirations too you know. By working in a low paid job they may be saving money to make something happen.

Oh and just because you are at university doesn't mean you have proven anything yet. You don't work or pay taxes and you are not in the real world yet so stop thinking you are above people who choose another route to take in life. I was the opposite at uni and didn't like the student status, so much so that I started my own business while I was their and it's still going today.

I am a lad and don't plan to have kids for ALONG time but I'm sure these "miserable" people from school who have kids are in fact having the best time of their lives with their children.

One of my former bullies is now in prison, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    So how in anyway does going to a better university, or having a better job make you a better person??? There are plenty of decent people out there who live on minimum wage, and they will be "better" people than those of you who feel snobbish. No wonder some of you got bullied if you feel arrogant enough about having a little piece of paper that says you attended some university for three years of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timer)
    Wow, I hope this isn't how all of TSR feel and this is just a group of resentful snobs that are replying to this thread. I don't know, as fortunately I was never bullied and was never a bully.

But how can people assume someone's life is miserable and worthless just because of their facebook profile or they work in tesco? They probably have dreams and aspirations too you know. By working in a low paid job they may be saving money to make something happen.

Oh and just because you are at university doesn't mean you have proven anything yet. You don't work or pay taxes and you are not in the real world yet so stop thinking you are above people who choose another route to take in life. I was the opposite at uni and didn't like the student status, so much so that I started my own business while I was their and it's still going today.

I am a lad and don't plan to have kids for ALONG time but I'm sure these "miserable" people from school who have kids are in fact having the best time of their lives with their children.
    Thank jesus there is someone else with some sense here!

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch IMO.

I used to feel the same. I was doing well at uni and having parties every night whilst all my other friends had gone straight into full time work. Now the tables have turned, however. I am now finished and am struggling to find any job at all while most of my friends have now worked their way up and are earning ~£20,000 a year.

People take different routes in life. Some go to uni, some don't. But there is no guarantee that you will end up doing better than everyone else simply because you went to uni. Speaking from experience, it doesn't always work like that.

ReputationRep:
    I get the same sense of satisfaction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by someonenowhere)
    I am now at my final year in university with a future ahead of me (something which I never thought was possible during my school years). I can’t help feeling self- satisfied that I have made something of my life, whereas these people who made my life hell- are now either stuck in low- paid jobs/unemployed (living off benefits), or single with a flock of children

.…… am I just as bad as them?
    I found a facebook page dedicated to the memory of a guy that had died, who made my life hell for 5 years of high school.

I laughed it up all morning.

ReputationRep:
    And you dont see why you got bullied ...

ReputationRep:
    I laugh uncontrollably at the misfortunes of those who have maltreated me.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, dunno, I've never been bullied. Is it common? I can't imagine someone else's misery making me happy, but hey I've never been bullied. Lol as if.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.