Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello, could you advise me which university is better(Edinburgh or Glasgow) for physics and why?:confused: the times ratings are very confusing because edinburgh is 20 in world but 14 in UK and 20 in physics, glasgow is 79 in world 19 in UK and 2 in physics in Uk, but i am not likely to trust these rankings. i dont care about nightlife but i care about finding a part time job, but mane thing is education. any opinion with arguments is appreciated. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say you're equally likely to be able to find a part time job in Glasgow or Edinburgh. If I remember correctly Edinburgh does a lot in research in physics and I think is probably slightly more highly thought of than Glasgow for physics but I doubt it would really make that much odds.
    Personally I would prefer Edinburgh as a place to live than Glasgow but really I would say you'd be best visiting the places or going to an open day to get a feel for where you'd rather be.

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited them? That might help.

I'm afraid I don't have any direct insight into either place, but if I was applying, I guess I would probably consider this stuff:

- In first year, you'll probably have the chance to study other subjects. What ones would you be interested in, and are there any that you might change to? If you're also very keen on, say, chemistry, then it might be worth seeing what the chemistry departments at each uni are like. If you're completely set of physics, then this probably isn't so relevant.

- Try to find more course details for physics at each. One might have more flexibility, or have more modules in a particular area that you like.

- Are there any direct entry options that would interest you?

I would also take a wee bit of time to consider what life outside studying will be like... e.g. living expenses, how far you'll have to travel, what facilities are easily accessible. From the league tables, both places sound quite close, and if you'd be happy doing either course, then it might be worth checking what the rest of life would be like. I know you said the main thing was education, but you'll be able to do better with that if you're happy

Sorry that I can't give more direct help

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who does physics and maths at glasgow and she never considered going anywhere else. Partly because she loves the city and partly because their resources are apparently loads better. Just what I've heard her say though, so don't take it as gospel.

ReputationRep:
    I think Edinburgh is slightly better for sciences. Although to be honest both are quality uni's education wise so I'd just visit and see what you like best as there's not much between.

Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    i am international student, and have no conditions to visit them both. and yes i will also study chemistry like second subjects. i think life outside studies is equaly good in both cities, maybe in edinburgh better, because i like cultural life, museums, theatres, castles, also i like trips in the nature very much.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.