Turn on thread page Beta

Sciences harder than Humanities and art? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/au...levels.schools

Stumbled across this whilst researching uni courses. I know it's a little old.

Worrying thing is, I probably agree with it.

I'm predicted an A* for Science at GCSE and hopefully will get it. However, bar Maths (and Economics?), I'm taking social sciences for A Level. My justification is that I enjoy them, but do I enjoy them because I find them easier and am therefore better at it? Do I just not want to put in the extra effort to do an A Level in Chemistry?

I suppose it's how your brain works. It's no surprise to me that there are certain people in my school who are top in maths are also top in science but struggle - or just have to work harder - in english, history etc.

ReputationRep:
    Different subjects are difficult for different people.
    I find my a levels maths, chem and physics relatively doable but I know if I did english or history or politics I'd fail miserably.
    People play to their strengths and for some that's sciences and for others it's humanities.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It's difficult to compare the difficulty between science humanities and art subjects, they're divided in this way for a reason :giggle: I'd say there were more 'easy' subjects available in the humanities and art realms (the fact that there are more subjects available in humanities and art must play a part in this)...but the suggestion that subjects like English (Lit.) and History are the easy way out is clearly false. Which do you think is more difficult, AS history or AS science, which as far as I can tell is usually done in year 11? There are easy and difficult subjects in all three disciplines, and of course it depends on an individual's personal strengths and weaknesses.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person. I find them all pretty much equal, I certainly don't think the sciences are harder.

I don't think you can generalise and say either is more difficult than the other.

ReputationRep:
    its so massively subjective, its not something you can accurately find an answer for.

ReputationRep:
    Whoever thinks subjects like History and English Literature are easy are seriously kidding themselves! You have people who are good with one minded subjects like sciences and then you have people who are more creative and love to use their mind in more than just one way, and finally there are those who are good at both.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in uni, i believe it's easier to get a First in science subjects than arts. This doesn't mean Arts are harder - it's harder to grasp the basics of science/maths but once you have the method, you can apply it. You also tend to know if you have the right answer. Arts are easier to grasp the basics of but are subjective and the basics are slightly harder to apply. So the subjects themselves are equal. The marking required may not be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    Different subjects are difficult for different people.
    I find my a levels maths, chem and physics relatively doable but I know if I did english or history or politics I'd fail miserably.
    People play to their strengths and for some that's sciences and for others it's humanities.
    :yes:

This is correct. The subjects I found hardest at school were the technologies and drama.

English and humanities subjects were on a par with maths for me, and whilst biology and physics were fine I struggled with chemistry. Though, of course, drama was even harder than chemistry...

At university, I studied a scientific/technology-based course, though, and loved it. The standard of the physics involved won't have been too far above GCSE standard, but that was reasonable for me. :p: By that level, I enjoyed the technology aspect in a way I never would have at school.

It completely depends on you. The arts have always been my natural strength, but (aside from writing), not what I've always enjoyed the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    Whoever thinks subjects like History and English Literature are easy are seriously kidding themselves! You have people who are good with one minded subjects like sciences and then you have people who are more creative and love to use their mind in more than just one way, and finally there are those who are good at both.
    This:rolleyes:

English Lit and History are too hard to be classified as 'easy'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    (Original post by Master.K)
    This:rolleyes:
    What about History of Art?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gethsemane342)
    Well, in uni, i believe it's easier to get a First in science subjects than arts. This doesn't mean Arts are harder - it's harder to grasp the basics of science/maths but once you have the method, you can apply it. You also tend to know if you have the right answer. Arts are easier to grasp the basics of but are subjective and the basics are slightly harder to apply. So the subjects themselves are equal. The marking required may not be
    I have to agree with this statement, I studied a humanities subject through uni (I have now graduated) and even with putting in large amounts of work I would generally score around the mid to high 2:1's, with the occasional firsts for presentations.

My girlfriend however studies maths and economics and can bang out the firsts because she "understands" the maths as it were, there is a method she can follow and learns and repeats this process. I would struggle to do this, and equally she has said she struggles with essay based elements of her economics degree. So it's all subjective.

People play to their strenghts, wether that be scientific or humanities. I think the easier answer is to just say yes science is harder, but looking at a university level I think the answer is less obvious and depends on ther person.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree that the sciences are generally harder than humanities. This is probably to do with worse teaching, although the content of a Chemistry/further maths a-level is arguably far harder than that of a geography/economics a-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit Up!)
    What about History of Art?
    I know nothing about the History of Art, I'm talking about the basic History A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    I'd agree that the sciences are generally harder than humanities. This is probably to do with worse teaching, although the content of a Chemistry/further maths a-level is arguably far harder than that of a geography/economics a-level.
    Atm, I find chemistry easier than economics....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    I know nothing about the History of Art, I'm talking about the basic History A-level.
    what are your first uninformed thoughts - easier?

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, barring further math, the basics of the sciences are not too hard to grasp. There's not too much rote except for bio, but as everything is related it is easier to memorise. science is logical too. Whereas history seems to be a mass of random facts and events. It is harder to apply - write essays - for the humanities. However we were told that the A threshold for the humanities is lower. People who get A's for the biology forecast may suddenly get B's for the actual exams as with many people getting high grades the grade threshold is increased. If you're not easy with discipline and cautious logic but creative then humanities particularly english lit is relatively easy with less to memorise except quotes. Ultimately the ability to think on your own determines the realtive difficulty of a subject for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit Up!)
    what are your first uninformed thoughts - easier?
    I guess because there will be a lot of research and extra reading it will be just as hard as studying general History.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a language is just as difficult to learn as any science at A-level. But then again, that's for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a scientist to give you the correct answer but it has a lot to do with your brain eg some people find geometry easy as they can easily imagine 3D-graphs.

Additionally, just because you understand Maths etc it doesn't mean that you achieve high grades. Actually I always had this problem in History. I love history but only occasionally achieved As due misreading the questions.

Then there's subjective marking... consequently I don't think sciences are harder. Try to achieve 100% in a literature paper! However, I think it's easier to fail a science - just imagine you never learned the formulas!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passenger17a)
    I'm not a scientist to give you the correct answer but it has a lot to do with your brain eg some people find geometry easy as they can easily imagine 3D-graphs.

Additionally, just because you understand Maths etc it doesn't mean that you achieve high grades. Actually I always had this problem in History. I love history but only occasionally achieved As due misreading the questions.

Then there's subjective marking... consequently I don't think sciences are harder. Try to achieve 100% in a literature paper! However, I think it's easier to fail a science - just imagine you never learned the formulas!

I agree with this. The marking is really subjective, what may seem like an A to one examiner maybe a D to the other.
    My friend got her Literature paper re-marked after getting a B. After the re-mark her grade was an A.
    She dropped Lit simply because it was the only subject she got a B in. Her teachers told her to drop Psychology and keep Literature but she decided to stick with Psychology where she felt she was more likely to get an A. She applied for Spanish at Oxford and got rejected after an interview, they asked her why she dropped Literature when she achieved an A, she couldn't give a reasonable explanation and that was it.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.