Turn on thread page Beta

Alcohol after giving blood watch

ReputationRep:
    I gave blood yesterday and I've heard that alcohol affects you much more than normal after giving blood (which makes sense). How true is this?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, but you don't give THAT much blood, I'd wait like a day, then your body would have replenished the blood you lost. It probably affects you more because you have less blood, and alcohol thins your blood?
    I'm not sure, but I'd wait a day or something. (:

ReputationRep:
    Get smashed for less $$$$$ :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I asked this when i was donating once, cause i was drinking the same day.
    You can drink after you've donated blood, but your tolerance will be quite low, and be careful too (aka wait a few hours, if you start to feel weak take some time out, etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizzieLizzie.)
    I'm not sure, but you don't give THAT much blood, I'd wait like a day, then your body would have replenished the blood you lost. It probably affects you more because you have less blood, and alcohol thins your blood?
    I'm not sure, but I'd wait a day or something. (:
    I think it would be more because with less blood and the same amount of alcohol the concentration of alcohol in your blood will be higher. I was just wondering how much of an effect that would have though given that you only give a relatively small amount.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is a vasodilator, so with a low blood volume coupled with a larger amount of space for that blood to fill, there is a danger of low pressure, which means poor brain perfusion = passing out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wardy23)
    I think it would be more because with less blood and the same amount of alcohol the concentration of alcohol in your blood will be higher. I was just wondering how much of an effect that would have though given that you only give a relatively small amount.
    If you bled a pint, would you still think that it is a relatively small amount?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    Alcohol is a vasodilator, so with a low blood volume coupled with a larger amount of space for that blood to fill, there is a danger of low pressure, which means poor brain perfusion = passing out
    Cheers. I gave blood at about 4pm yesterday though so im sure I'll be fine by tonight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCI23)
    If you bled a pint, would you still think that it is a relatively small amount?
    Well no but when you give blood it's all kept under control and they only take it if it's absolutely safe to. So it's fine to lose a pint in these circumstances. But I can see where you're coming from.

ReputationRep:
    It's one of those 'better safe than sorry' measures. Chances are the alcohol will go to your head a bit faster, but in a tiny percentage of cases it may lead to something more serious. So they warn against it just to be safe.

The amount of blood they take out is a safe amount, but it is still quite a large proportion (up to 13% of total blood is deemed safe, which is why people under a certain weight can't donate).

ReputationRep:
    I gave blood on my birthday in September - made for a really cheap night!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.