Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I will be joining LSE later this year for BMS. I wanted to know from anyone with experience with the LSE language centre:

1. How much arabic will I be able to learn by the end of the 3 years of my degree if I take the courses offered as a side thing by the language department? Will it be good enough to converse and work with natives?

2. I have seen that for arabic the lessons are around 1 to 2 hours a week, which seems manageable in terms of lessons. However, what is the workload like in terms of homework etc?

I am familar with reading arabic from having lived in the middle east, but it takes me some time. My vocabulary however is very limited, and i have next to no knowledge in grammar.

Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haloalkane)
    2. I have seen that for arabic the lessons are around 1 to 2 hours a week, which seems manageable in terms of lessons. However, what is the workload like in terms of homework etc?
    You have like 12 hours of teaching time a week. Even if you work an extra 20 hours a week, that's still just 32 hours, where as at school you probably had teaching time around 7 * 5 = 35 hours a week on top of any independent study. And given that probably very, very few people do 20 hours of independent study, you should have more than enough time as long as you don't spend your days sleeping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    You have like 12 hours of teaching time a week. Even if you work an extra 20 hours a week, that's still just 32 hours, where as at school you probably had teaching time around 7 * 5 = 35 hours a week on top of any independent study. And given that probably very, very few people do 20 hours of independent study, you should have more than enough time as long as you don't spend your days sleeping.
    Thanks for your help.

Can anyone comment on the actual quality of the arabic teaching that there is, and how much I will be able to converse in at the end of the courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    oh nice thread
    i was wondering about languages at LSE

can undergraduates with no previous arabic learning do arabic in first year and the other years aswell?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milan.)
    oh nice thread
    i was wondering about languages at LSE

can undergraduates with no previous arabic learning do arabic in first year and the other years aswell?

thanks
    Yes you can start from scratch in year 1 and advance in year 2, however if you still want to do a language in year 3 you have to write a dissertation in said language on a topic of your main degree - so you need to be really good at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astudent)
    Yes you can start from scratch in year 1 and advance in year 2, however if you still want to do a language in year 3 you have to write a dissertation in said language on a topic of your main degree - so you need to be really good at it.
    ohh this is brilliant news
    another question
    can you take more than one language?
    i want to learn arabic, but i also want to improve my german, i already know basic german so...

and how much time in ones week does this actually take up?

ReputationRep:
    ohh this is brilliant news
    another question
    can you take more than one language?
    i want to learn arabic, but i also want to improve my german, i already know basic german so...

and how much time in ones week does this actually take up?
    You can but you have to pay for it and it wont be timetabled i.e. doesnt count towards your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astudent)
    You can but you have to pay for it and it wont be timetabled i.e. doesnt count towards your degree.
    ok
    say i take one language, german
    what do i get after doing it for three years? does it count on my degree? or do i get an extra qualification or what?
    (i know i could probably look this up)

ReputationRep:
    ok
    say i take one language, german
    what do i get after doing it for three years? does it count on my degree? or do i get an extra qualification or what?
    (i know i could probably look this up)
    Dont know, but it makes sense if they do since you've obviously spent 3 years seriously doing the subject.

ReputationRep:
    One of my homies does it. It's a 2 hour class on a thursday night, 6-8pm as far as I know, then homework etc. Teacher is legit from what I've heard

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.