Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Teaching is the only career I can see myself going into. I'm in year 13 right now and I've just been diagnosed with depression and PTSD. I want to a PGCE after university, but would I be accepted with this hanging over me? I've been put on anti-depressants and I'm being seen by psychiatrists every single day, following a suicide attempt. I'm trying to get over this stage of my life and would be thoroughly gutted if I couldn't become a teacher because of all of this

Would it be an automatic rejection if they looked at my medical records and saw 'stomach pumped'? And if they see the diagnoses? Also, if I admitted to self harming in the past is that also a rejection? I just feel like cutting myself off from all this psychiatric help right now if it's going to ruin my chances in the future.

Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    There are no set criteria, I would advise you call the General Teaching Council for England as they are the regulatory body and may be able to give you more information.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine if any of the teachers I've had in the past are anything to go by. So long as you're not a druggy or a peado, they don't give a damn.

ReputationRep:
    I should also note that I'm currently involved with the police, but as a victim. That wouldn't make a difference, right?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. So would you recommend that I carry on with the treatment? I'm just terrified it'll stop me from becoming a teacher.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You MUST carry on with your treatment. All other considerations are unimportant compared to your health and safety.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I could cope without the medication. Can somebody be brutally honest? Should I just forget about teaching?

When you apply for PGCE, do they look at your medical records?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The only person who can answer your question is the Doctor who will read your file at the PGCE Institution Medical Centre and make the recommendation. Can I suggest everyone is very careful here in view of the content of the original post. My final word on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daya)
    You'll be fine if any of the teachers I've had in the past are anything to go by. So long as you're not a druggy or a peado, they don't give a damn.
    Er no that's not true.

If offered a place you ll have to fill in a health questionnaire and be completely honest it will then be reviews and they will get in touch with your GP for further info. If its any cause for concern they will call you in for a chat to see if you could cope with teaching basically. Whatever they decide will be in your interests teaching and uni is very stresful but its up to them to decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Can I suggest everyone is very careful here in view of the content of the original post. My final word on the subject.
    What do you mean by that?

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly: carry on with the treatment and get better.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.