Turn on thread page Beta

Bench press and military press with no spotter watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i'm joining the gym some time soon and have an idea of what i'm going to be doing but i wont have a spotter or anyone going to the gym with me.

Is it possible to do these exercises (military and bench press) without a spotter? If not is there anything i can replace them with?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can still do them, just don't go as heavy.

Or simply ask somebody else in the gym to spot you if you want to get a heavy set done.

ReputationRep:
    As above. It's fine without a spotter as long as you're sensible. If you really want to push yourself then ask a member of staff or somebody you know there to spot you.

ReputationRep:
    Military press is fine for doing without a spotter. If you're going to bench without a spotter just leave the collars off the end so you can tilt it either side to get the plates off.

ReputationRep:
    You never need a spotter for overhead stuff unless you're doing forced reps.

ReputationRep:
    why the hell you need a spotter for OHP? just ask some one in the gym for bench.

ReputationRep:
    or dbell press.

ReputationRep:
    I always bench in the power rack without a spotter and you can still push pretty hard. If you fail to lift, just swing it back onto any of the catches.

ReputationRep:
    I don't use a spotter. I find it makes me more determined to respect my limits and actually get the most out my benching routines. I won't speak for other people here but spotters would make my benching sessions less efficient as safety blankets lead you to put less effort into them, and put less emphasis on pacing myself correctly to get the maximum (usually 10x) reps everytime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    or dbell press.
    True until you get pretty strong for your weight. Then it just gets bloody hard to kick both up and it's easier to kick one up and get one handed to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiplash)
    I always bench in the power rack without a spotter and you can still push pretty hard. If you fail to lift, just swing it back onto any of the catches.
    Sounds like you are talking about a Smith Machine. They are absolutely pants for any exercise, they don't work your stabilisers at all.

Some anecdotal evidence: Years ago when I first started, the gym I was going to only had a Smith Machine for bench press, I got up to 100kg pretty quickly. Then when I joined a real gym I could barely lift 60kg on a normal bench...

jus' sayin'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    True until you get pretty strong for your weight. Then it just gets bloody hard to kick both up and it's easier to kick one up and get one handed to you
    I've heard this a few times and it's ********. If you can't lift it on your own then you are clearly neglecting the rest of your muscle groups.

ReputationRep:
    use a smith machine

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't risk it to be honest, unless you're not going to push that much. Just ask someone at they gym for a spot, I've seen bench press accidents before and trust me they are not pretty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    I wouldn't risk it to be honest, unless you're not going to push that much. Just ask someone at they gym for a spot, I've seen bench press accidents before and trust me they are not pretty!
    As long as you're sensible it's not really a risk. If you're going for 5 reps, you just stop at 4 if you think you won't make the fifth.

ReputationRep:
    I do these exercises at home without a spotter...its no big deal...however, i say that now, when i begin lifting heavier weights it could be difficult without a spotter...only time will tell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    As long as you're sensible it's not really a risk. If you're going for 5 reps, you just stop at 4 if you think you won't make the fifth.
    Fair enough but you'd think you'd want to push yourself as far as possible each time. The again I do dumbbell bench press so I don't exactly need a spotter lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just bench dumbbells. How do you spot someone for overhead stuff anyway? I have no idea how that would work. You don't need a spotter anyway - either drop it back down to rest on the front of your shoulders or if something goes horrifically wrong dump it in front of you.

ReputationRep:
    be social... ask someone to spot you, are you in uni gym?? Most people don't mind at all... though I do go to a pussy gym so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basstard)
    Sounds like you are talking about a Smith Machine. They are absolutely pants for any exercise, they don't work your stabilisers at all.
    No buddy, I never use a Smiths.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.