Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bench press and military press with no spotter watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneCurlyFry)
    Hey guys, i'm joining the gym some time soon and have an idea of what i'm going to be doing but i wont have a spotter or anyone going to the gym with me.

Is it possible to do these exercises (military and bench press) without a spotter? If not is there anything i can replace them with?
    You don't need a spotter for either (spotter for military press? WTF!). If you're benching heavy or need a hand-off, just as some randomer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiplash)
    No buddy, I never use a Smiths.
    My bad, the "... swing it back onto any of the catches." sounded like a Smith Machine to me.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    Military press is fine for doing without a spotter. If you're going to bench without a spotter just leave the collars off the end so you can tilt it either side to get the plates off.

I'd love to see this ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    I'd love to see this ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doSfWq2q2oU#t=0m23s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    True until you get pretty strong for your weight. Then it just gets bloody hard to kick both up and it's easier to kick one up and get one handed to you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM5Nw_QBA9A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basstard)
    I've heard this a few times and it's ********. If you can't lift it on your own then you are clearly neglecting the rest of your muscle groups.
    I think I'm actually fairly balanced in terms of muscular development. It's just a lot harder to kick dumbells up for seated presses once they get heavy. This is my experience and what I've been told by pretty much every huge guy I've ever met who does shoulder presses, so I believe that much.

I'll try this on monday. I'll see how it goes. I'm hoping for good things because I've had people attempt to explain something similar over the internet but I've never seen a video of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    ... It's just a lot harder to kick dumbells up for seated presses once they get heavy...
    Yeah it's harder, but you still shouldn't need someone to lift the weight for you.

I've always 'kicked up' dumbbells in a similar fashion to the Rippetoe video - and I'm talking 50kg bells for max sets.

I know it seems like I'm being anal about it or whatever, but I hate all the little excuses and whatnot I hear in the gym!

ReputationRep:
    You can't kick up dumbells like that for seated overhead presses. Seriously, it's just not doable. And after a point, you might as well just get a training partner to hand them to you: it's not like it's negatively impacting on your physique development to do so is it? And it's much, much easier on your shoulders. It's not an excuse so much as it just sounds like a good idea to me. I'll try out the Rippetoe method on flat DB presses to see if it works for me on monday but I definitely stand by what I said for seated overhead DB presses.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.