Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have encountered both while researching Chemistry courses at universities. Which one, if any, is better to have? I would expect MChem would be better but no idea why lol so I just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance for any help.

No real difference in terms of the course or how they're viewed :nah:

They're different names for the same thing - a four undergraduate masters degree :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick reply . Ok cool, so I don't have to worry too much about that lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they're both Masters courses, no real difference.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that MChem was slightly better that MSci too, although I'm not sure why.
    Maybe because MChem is more specific to Chemistry?

No, its just a difference in the letters, nothing more :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamer5757)
    I heard that MChem was slightly better that MSci too, although I'm not sure why.
    Maybe because MChem is more specific to Chemistry?
    You heard wrong.

Zero difference in almost everything except...

'Master of Chemistry' is a frekin' awesome title

Just imagine shaking someones hand introducing yourself as your name then the title, 'Terry Jones, Master of Chemistry'

For that reason alone it wins. Master of Science is just a little unbelievable. Doctor of Philosophy isn't as good. I was tempted by an EngD so I could say 'Master of Chemistry, Doctor of Engineering'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You heard wrong.

Zero difference in almost everything except...

'Master of Chemistry' is a frekin' awesome title

Just imagine shaking someones hand introducing yourself as your name then the title, 'Terry Jones, Master of Chemistry'

For that reason alone it wins. Master of Science is just a little unbelievable. Doctor of Philosophy isn't as good. I was tempted by an EngD so I could say 'Master of Chemistry, Doctor of Engineering'

I think the correct form for undergraduate masters degrees is 'Master in Science' or 'Master in Chemistry' (the latter is on my degree certificate anyway). I think 'Master of' is reserved for postgraduate degrees. My full degree title was (rather amusingly) 'Master in Chemistry in Chemistry with Advanced Chemistry' - basically I am pretty good at Chemistry, apparently. My PhD certificate just says 'Doctor of Philosophy' so it could be in anything.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.