Turn on thread page Beta

Best places for suit jacket tailoring? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm extremely clueless when it comes to suit jackets seeing as i've never really needed one. I've got a formal party thing coming up on Friday though and not having one won't seem to cut it so!

I need something not TOO expensive but looks good and fits obviously, what are the best places you can go to for tailoring one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nidhogg_Rider)
    I'm extremely clueless when it comes to suit jackets seeing as i've never really needed one. I've got a formal party thing coming up on Friday though and not having one won't seem to cut it so!

I need something not TOO expensive but looks good and fits obviously, what are the best places you can go to for tailoring one?
    Define "not TOO expensive"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Define "not TOO expensive"
    Well i'm not thinking like anything massively over £100 or something like that >_>

ReputationRep:
    A tailored suit is going to cost you a LOT more than £100. Just buy off the rack if you don't want to spend too much.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really need the full on suit, I just need a jacket.

Off the rack jackets just don't fit me either, it might fit my body fine but the arm length is just quite off so it obviously looks a bit ****.

ReputationRep:
    You can get the shop to adjust an off the rack jacket. That would still be way cheaper than getting a tailored one.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really need the full on suit, I just need a jacket.

Off the rack jackets just don't fit me either, it might fit my body fine but the arm length is just quite off so it obviously looks a bit ****.
    Honestly I don't know anywhere that would do tailoring for anywhere near £100. Your best bet would be to get a cheap jacket and have it altered, but I don't know how much decent alteration would set you back...

EDIT: No wait I lie. I had a pair of trousers altered at Austin Reed for £18. Not sure if they would alter anything not from Austin Reed, or if that price would be the same for a jacket, but it's worth a phone call to see.

ReputationRep:

At such short notice you're going to have to buy off-the-peg asap. Some stores do take in and let out - such as Slaters, Harvey Nicks, Flannels, Selfridges.

A good one from M&S/Topman/Next can always be brought it - see if there is a tailors near you that will do it:

There is a Stitches in Leeds and Halifax, near you, http://stitchesleeds.co.uk/default.aspx

They are a really good chain - we use them at Selfridges. They're abit pricey but do an excellent and quick job - it can be done the same day if you're desperate enough, but since I image you're going to need it pinning etc whilst you stand there, give it three days.

ReputationRep:
    Look for a company called "Ziami" I get my tailored suits from there. costs 90€ and I'm quite happy with the result. The quality is not the same as Hugo Boss of course.

ReputationRep:
    TK Maxx

Or have a look in:
    http://www.sixwhitingstreet.co.uk/sa...wear-c-24.html
    http://www.yoox.com/men/home/gender/...CE7A2/dept/men

Or see what the charity shops have - http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/results...oatsandJackets

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.