Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    It's really going to take something and someone special to achieve peace in the world.
    We had Jesus, and then we had Martin Luther King
    Look how they ended up...

ReputationRep:
    Small round hard stones click
    under my heels,
    seeding grasses thrust
    bearded seeds
    into trouser cuffs, cans,
    trodden on, crunch
    in tall, purple-flowering,
    amiable weeds.

District six.
    No board says it is:
    but my feet know,
    and my hands,
    and the skin about my bones,
    and the soft labouring of my lungs,
    and the hot, white, inwards turning
    anger of my eyes.

Brash with glass,
    name flaring like a flag,
    it squats
    in the grass and weeds,
    incipient Port Jackson trees:
    new, up-market, haute cuisine,
    guard at the gatepost,
    whites only inn.

No sign says it is:
    But we know where we belong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatal_Microbes)
    We had Jesus, and then we had Martin Luther King
    Look how they ended up...
    I can't really comment on Jesus he was just perfect. With MLK if only he wasn't assassinated.

ReputationRep:
    Erm...can we stop assuming that racism is allways British people being racist to ethnic minorities please?
    Because it's not the case.

The victims of most violent racist attacks in the UK are...........wait for it.......WHITE!

That is to be expected, as there are more white people than ethnic minorities.
    But what is more telling is, whilst ethnic minorities are more likely to be the victims of a violent racist attack, they are also more likely to be the PERPETRATOR as well!!!!

57% of violent racist attacks in the UK are committed by ethnic minorities!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6128466.stm

Waaaaaah, eat your heart out all you lefties that are incapable of accepting that immigrants can be anything other than poor, delicate soul minorities, to be championed!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    More girls like chocolate guys and fight for their right to do so????

I don't think there's really that much racism... and I haven't lived in the UK since 2004

ReputationRep:
    I think it's certainly less common amongst the more educated of our society than it was back in the day. I can't name a single person I've met at my university who has acted in a racist manner. I live in Leicester which as you know has a very large indian community, and I've witnessed racism in both directions (indians towards whites and vice versa) amongst the less educated, but not at all from university students.

ReputationRep:
    Human nature is very hard to change!

ReputationRep:
    I don't find it a particularly big problem :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Yes racism is still very much present but in a more subtle way. I feel the underachieving of the ethnic minority can sometimes be caused by situations other than inequality. The line between racism, prejudism, nationalism and just pure dislike is becoming rather unclear...

ReputationRep:
    I can't really comment on Jesus he was just perfect. With MLK if only he wasn't assassinated.
    He was losing his influence by the time he was assassinated, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    LOL at the people who say it's in human nature to be racist. What ********. If you are racist you have been conditioned to dislike people of different races and very often it's passed down to your children. My (ex) friend had really racist parents and I found myself amazed at how easy she found it to slate asians for no reason. It's disgusting and I know she's going to pass down hatred to her little girl. I feel very sorry for her. Everyone is responsible for broadening their own mind and challenging prejudice. Stop being so bloody passive/defeatist and accept that responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    LOL at the Jesus and MLK comments....funny thread so far...keep it up!

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of the time people are racists towards idiots and religion(which breeds idiocy).....I'm going to say it again 'east asians have minimal racism towards them'

ReputationRep:
    I agree with above. A lot of christians get the same treatment, yet most of the time it isn't treated as racism because most christians in this country usually happen to be white.

Also, one thing that SERIOUSLY bugs me is how the media always seem to push the idea that only WHITE PEOPLE can be racist. :rolleyes:

EVERYONE has the potential to be racist. Some of the most racist people I've ever come across were of an ethnic background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Humans naturally dislike others of different races.
    Isn't that just the thick ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Bungle)
    I agree with above. A lot of christians get the same treatment, yet most of the time it isn't treated as racism because most christians in this country usually happen to be white.

Also, one thing that SERIOUSLY bugs me is how the media always seem to push the idea that only WHITE PEOPLE can be racist. :rolleyes:

EVERYONE has the potential to be racist. Some of the most racist people I've ever come across were of an ethnic background.
    The difference being that religion is a matter of choice, unlike race.

ReputationRep:
    No, all that has changed is people dropping the "racism" card more often at anything that appears unfortunate for them.

ReputationRep:
    Religious doctrine right there. You never met him, know him, or for sure know he's the son of a type of God, if there was one. So you don't know he is perfect.

kthanxbai

ReputationRep:
    As long as our cultures continue to clash, then there will always be some forms of racism.

ReputationRep:
    It's really going to take something and someone special to achieve peace in the world.

"...I did it 35 minutes ago."

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.