Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halbeth)
    The difference being that religion is a matter of choice, unlike race.
    What I'm trying to say is that a lot of religious people (usually non-christian) seem to to drop the racism card when ever someone knocks their belief system or actions.

I'm not trying to take sides here btw, It's just what I've observed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    He was losing his influence by the time he was assassinated, tbh.
    Really? I swear he was preparing for a massive march soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    Religious doctrine right there. You never met him, know him, or for sure know he's the son of a type of God, if there was one. So you don't know he is perfect.

kthanxbai
    I love how this forum hates on anyone who doesn't disbelieve in the same things they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    I love how this forum hates on anyone who doesn't disbelieve in the same things they do.
    No not at all. I'm just challenging your dangerous belief systems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    No not at all. I'm just challenging your dangerous belief systems
    Chrisitians gotta do what a Christians gotta do. Though I see your point.

ReputationRep:
    In my town, racism isn't a big issue. Instead, it's more of a British V. Polish thing going on (which really drives me insane). It's nationality-ist.

I think that it depends on who you're talking to as well. Racism has decreased, but those who still practice it are generally more verbal and violent towards those of the race(s).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Chrisitians gotta do what a Christians gotta do. Though I see your point.
    :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    Isn't that just the thick ones?
    No. Racism is rife amongst many in the world.

There are very few persons, who in some context, do not see things in terms of race.

ReputationRep:
    Racism is just a LOT more subtle. Seriously, it can now be JUSTIFIED, that's how subtle it's gotten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    Now it is mostly against the white majourity.
    In what ways?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    LOL at the people who say it's in human nature to be racist. What ********. If you are racist you have been conditioned to dislike people of different races and very often it's passed down to your children. My (ex) friend had really racist parents and I found myself amazed at how easy she found it to slate asians for no reason. It's disgusting and I know she's going to pass down hatred to her little girl. I feel very sorry for her. Everyone is responsible for broadening their own mind and challenging prejudice. Stop being so bloody passive/defeatist and accept that responsibility.
    Why fight the inevitable? Prejudice is natural also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Why fight the inevitable? Prejudice is natural also.
    Because there are many people, like me who aren't racist and I believe it would make any country so much more peaceful. It is natural to be neutral, I believe it is nurture that breeds racism. You should want to make yourself a better person, that's why you should challenge racist/prejudiced thoughts. How is society going to change without anyone making the steps to? On a different subject, I found your post about judging on clothing very offensive. Using the n-word to describe scruffy clothes..... Have some manners and respect for god's sake!

ReputationRep:
    Because there are many people, like me who aren't racist and I believe it would make any country so much more peaceful. It is natural to be neutral, I believe it is nurture that breeds racism. You should want to make yourself a better person, that's why you should challenge racist/prejudiced thoughts. How is society going to change without anyone making the steps to? On a different subject, I found your post about judging on clothing very offensive. Using the n-word to describe scruffy clothes..... Have some manners and respect for god's sake!
    The man/woman/thing called Raj is an idiot. According to his reasoning, since racism is 'natural' we should all just give in. What if I have this natural urge to steal, or to put an axe through my neighbour? Do I give in and do it Raj? It's natural after all...

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, does racism still exist? I thought it was just one of those fads that people eventually got bored of like rickrolling.

ReputationRep:
    LOL at the people who say it's in human nature to be racist. What ********. If you are racist you have been conditioned to dislike people of different races and very often it's passed down to your children.
    So, you're telling me that you and other people have never had a racist thought(s) in the sense of judging another person by their race, or attributing their actions or behaviour to a racial cultural or inherent characteristic?

There's differing levels of racism within people, some more than others - but it certainly exists.

Also, do you believe every racist has racist parents? Because that's certainly what your logic dictates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinishHim!)
    So, you're telling me that you and other people have never had a racist thought(s) in the sense of judging another person by their race, or attributing their actions or behaviour to a racial cultural or inherent characteristic?

There's differing levels of racism within people, some more than others - but it certainly exists.

Also, do you believe every racist has racist parents? Because that's certainly what your logic dictates.
    I said often, not always. I was very careful with my wording.

Because of the way I was brought up, I was made very aware of my very mixed blood lineage (2/3 black, the rest scottish white, Greek and east asian), which I was taught to respect. I can safely say, I am not in any way shape or form racist. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I abhor any kind of racism with tremendous passion and it is an issue that concerns me deeply. I don't doubt that people make judgements, but people shouldnt be so quick to think that's an acceptable way to be going about the world. Of course whilst I may not be racist, I judge people on other things (stupid things) but I'm noticing more when I'm doing it and making a conscious effort to re-think when I do.

Raj was saying that everyone was naturally racist. I said that not everyone is born racist. I gave the example of my friend who's family were racist and passed their attitudes to her, but I'd like to stress that was an example of many "nurture" related influences.
    I think people are born neutral.

ReputationRep:
    My own reasoning (or at least the basis of it) is that persons should be free to believe/think what they choose. You talk about furthering society, and I am doing so, since I believe a free society is a superior one.

ReputationRep:
    My own reasoning (or at least the basis of it) is that persons should be free to believe/think what they choose. You talk about furthering society, and I am doing so, since I believe a free society is a superior one.
    Racist thoughts can breed racist behaviour. A completely free society is anarchy and that is not right.

And anyway, I believe that not being judgemental truly sets you free. What good can come of being racist. It's divisive, reductive, causes tension and breeds bitterness and destruction. I come across very sanctimonious here, but I don't care. Having love for people is much less stressful and takes less energy than hating. I honestly don't see the point in being such a hateful person. I repeat. Some of your comments are really offensive. It's incomprehensible why you don't seem to be ashamed to say them.

Being racist can result in infringing the rights of other people. i.e prejudiced treatment and poorer quality of life for those on the recieving end. That results in inequality and everyone has a right to live their life without fear of being persecuted for silly things like race. That is not freedom. It is not freedom for those who you are racist to. I have no problem in people with different beliefs, but when those attitudes impact on behaviour which is damaging to other people, I believe it is wrong. Very very wrong.

People should respect everyone regardless of disability, race, gender, sexuality and judge by character. This is an painfully simple and obvious statement, but everyone should at least be aiming to put this into practice. I'm far from perfect, but I know that and I have to work on my imperfections.

How can irrational hatred further society?

ReputationRep:
    A completely free society is anarchy.

I don't agree with that and I believe that not being judgemental truly sets you free. What good can come of being racist. It's divisive, reductive, causes tensions and breeds bitterness and destruction.
    A free society is a society in which all persons live as they choose, whilst not violating/comprising the rights of others.

It also is realism, given human personalities and the human condition.
    Being racist can result in infringing the rights of other people. i.e prejudiced treatment and inequality and poorer quality of life. That results in inequality and everyone has a right to live their life without fear of being persecuted for silly things like race. That is not freedom. It is not freedom for those who you are racist to. I have no problem in people with different beliefs, but when those attitudes impact on behaviour which is damaging to other people, I believe it is wrong. Very very wrong.

People should respect everyone regardless of disability, race, gender, sexuality and judge by character. This is an painfully simple and obvious statement, but everyone should be aiming to put this into practice. How can irrational hatred further society?
    There is a difference between thought and action. If somebody wishes to think racist thoughts, or have racist feelings, so be it. This should only be negated if the said individual denies employment, assaults another, or makes offensive verbal statements to members of the race they claim to despise.

ReputationRep:
    There is a difference between thought and action. If somebody wishes to think racist thoughts, or have racist feelings, so be it. This should only be negated if the said individual denies employment, assaults another, or makes offensive verbal statements to members of the race they claim to despise.

You do this by the way. I am offended by your disgusting remarks about black people, so you are defying your own logic.

Do yourself a favour and look up the words understanding and empathy

Whilst your at it, think about the concept of harmful generalisations

While not everyone acts on racist thoughts, racist actions are the result of racist thoughts. Being racist has no place in bettering society.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.