Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Nice :p:.

If I were cox I would have been so tempted to shout "don't listen to him, what does he know?" though.
    Same :p:
    I was impressed though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm rather looking forward to spending a week in various pieces of clothing made of lycra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I'm rather looking forward to spending a week in various pieces of clothing made of lycra.
    Im gutted im not going now The lake looks amazing. Bah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    Im gutted im not going now The lake looks amazing. Bah
    Why nooot?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Why nooot?!
    As I couldn't leave earlier I just didn't see the point in paying 400+ quid for 6 days of rowing. Lots of boring old sculling for me now.

ReputationRep:
    As I couldn't leave earlier I just didn't see the point in paying 400+ quid for 6 days of rowing. Lots of boring old sculling for me now.
    I disliked the one time I sculled. Swipping ftw.

ReputationRep:
    Sculling is terrifying, I have an irrational fear of capsising in all boats now (including 8s, when the balance goes I have an annoying tendancy to scream a little) because the first time I ever rowed, I went out in a single scull which my coach said I couldn't capsise. And guess what, I capsised Now I have no trust in anyone who says any boat won't capsise.

ReputationRep:
    On the topic of sculling, I saw Chris Evans sculling today on the Tideway. Matt Pinsent was in a launch coaching and i'm pretty sure there was another celeb in a different double but I didn't see who. Its probably Boat Race media stuff but I prefer to think that Chris Evans is going for London 2012.

ReputationRep:
    You are all fools.

After you've sculled for a while you will realise that it is far better than sweep - I learned to sweep first and yes I thought sculling was stupid and all that. But believe me once you've been out enough you realise that:

1. Singles are fantastic because it's just you and you can do what you want and you feel so independent, also really nice being out in a single on a summers day or a summer evening when it's just silence, you, the sunset, and your boat

2. Doubles are fantastic because they're a small boat that goes very fast, and balance is far easier than in a pair!

3. Quads are super fantastic because they are frigging fast as hell. Lightweight quads are SO MUCH FUN.

Generally sculling is great because it's so much easier to get a good balance than with sweep. Also after having rowed on bow side for about 5 or 6 years my back is in such a state (it's actually visible that the right side of body has more muscle mass than the left side).....sculling is nice and equal!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Do sculls go much faster than sweep rowing then? :beard: I might try some next term, college has a single and double scull and we'll be sitting around a lot :p:.

ReputationRep:
    I asked if I could cox, but being 5"7, I'm apparently too tall, so I've been told to focus on being a better oars(wo)man. Meh, I don't have the mental for that, really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have to focus so much on becoming a better oarswoman in order to make the team next year, it terrifies me.

ReputationRep:
    Do sculls go much faster than sweep rowing then? :beard: I might try some next term, college has a single and double scull and we'll be sitting around a lot :p:.
    Depends on what boat your in. Tbh i think using a single is really nice if the water is good. On my part of the Thames its pretty shocking if your a novice. Lots of wind, lots of wash/waves at certain times. Doubles always pretty fun.

As for people becoming better oars(wo)men, as much as I dont like saying it, nowadays there is so much emphasis on erg scores. I reckon at most universities if you're in the top 5 ergs in your squad you will always get a place in the first boat.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm probably not in the top 5 erg scores in my boat, let alone all the novices :sad:.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely not in the top 5 in my boat :|

ReputationRep:
    You have double the amount of blades, fine they're smaller than sweep blades, but with double the area that is putting down power, yes they go faster.

A lot easier to balance to so easy to get the speed up without catching crabs, etc. And just looks so much nicer

One day would love to get out in an Octuple SOoooooo fast!

ReputationRep:
    The overall ergs score of our second boat is better than that of the 1st VIII. But they have the technique and we don't. If I want to be competitive I need to knock my current score by 36sec, which, as my friend showed me by knocking 38sec, is not impossible, but it's gonna be a tough one, uuugh.

Bah, I don't care, I'm gonna be abroad and waterless next year anyway. ()

ReputationRep:
    I just find it very hard to prove who's faster on the water unless you do a lot of seat racing, pairs matrix, single races etc which I know most unis never do. Considering everything else is equal (weight/height), if you are faster on the erg you can pretty much tell them that you're quicker and need to be in.

ReputationRep:
    As my coach says "ergs don't float". I found it very true, 1st VIII completed WeHorr in 21min, 2nd VIII did 23min. That said, 1st VIII does have more tall girls than 2nd VIII, might help.

Training camp tomorrow, waaaaaah :macarena:

ReputationRep:
    I just find it very hard to prove who's faster on the water unless you do a lot of seat racing, pairs matrix, single races etc which I know most unis never do. Considering everything else is equal (weight/height), if you are faster on the erg you can pretty much tell them that you're quicker and need to be in.
    I agree - and even then it's difficult to compare, say two people in singles for a place in an 8 - I'm not fantastic in a single but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be valuable in an 8! And there are people who were picked for the first 8 who would capsize a single!

However seat racing really is a valuable tool to just make sure of things - we did loads of seat racing in coxless fours to just see the pecking order of things, how people fit with crews, how they raced, etc etc. Fortunately I'd already won my seat but as I'm a steersman I got the joy of sitting through every seat race at bow to steer the boat! Fun times.

I've also just injured my back rowing last night. Doctor says out for 1 week minimum, up to a month! Bugger.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.