The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
How DO coxless boats steer? :beard: Its with your feet isn't it? Must make rowing in a straight line a bit awkward.

I want to get a key to our boathouse so I can get out in a single :beard:. I'm still not quite sure how much autonomy there is meant to be at our college wrt taking out boats and stuff.
Jessaay!
Oh my bad :teeth: I keep getting everyone on this thread a little confused and thought you were dobbs at first and was thinking of the first boat club you'd possibly know if you were from newcastle. I didn't know they did sculling all that much though... hmmm :holmes: Will give it a gander.

And I might get someone to jump in a double with me at some point (not literally, I have an irrational fear of capsising in the thames ever since I saw an article about someone who got some nasty bacterial infection from falling off a bridge a while ago, being a medic doesn't do much for your paranoia sometimes). And steering the boat was a bit of an issue, I got very confused at first. Something you get used to though I guess.

Pretty much everyone sculls here until Christmas and then it switches to sweep.

Ive fallen in on the tideway about 5 or 6 times now. Inc January at 6am next to an open sewer outlet. The warts and gangrene are very easy to treat.
partoftheweekend
Pretty much everyone sculls here until Christmas and then it switches to sweep.

Ive fallen in on the tideway about 5 or 6 times now. Inc January at 6am next to an open sewer outlet. The warts and gangrene are very easy to treat.

I see. :biggrin: That's cool beans then... though I imagine my height (or lack there of) would be an issue for most boat clubs somehow.

The open sewer outlets are quite foul...
Reply 283
Jessaay!
Yup, we don't have quads though, doubles and singles :frown: I could use the doubles/singles any time I wanted however regularly I wanted but I'd love to go in a quad.

Ahh it was choppy on the lake again. And extremely cold. I'm far enough north to make me able to walk round in tshirts down south when everyone else is in hundreds of layers, I can't imagine what the temperature is like up there :p:

Ah shame - well then as partoftheweekend says (who is NOT me haha) get out in a double, it's a very nice boat to be a part of :smile:

Weather up here is lovely! Might still be a tad cold but have had 2 outings in the past week where us guys have been able to go topless - though much to the dismay of the women (who are just jealous because we can get tanned without lines and they can't!) hehe :biggrin:
dobbs
Ah shame - well then as partoftheweekend says (who is NOT me haha) get out in a double, it's a very nice boat to be a part of :smile:

Weather up here is lovely! Might still be a tad cold but have had 2 outings in the past week where us guys have been able to go topless - though much to the dismay of the women (who are just jealous because we can get tanned without lines and they can't!) hehe :biggrin:

I realised you're not the same person now. I did before but I have my "special" moments. :o: I did get confused when you posted about the tyne after I'd replied to partoftheweekend.

It's an annoying ability of men to do that. Though most of the time the women don't really mind when the men go topless :teeth:
Reply 285
Jessaay!
I realised you're not the same person now. I did before but I have my "special" moments. :o: I did get confused when you posted about the tyne after I'd replied to partoftheweekend.

It's an annoying ability of men to do that. Though most of the time the women don't really mind when the men go topless :teeth:

Honestly, men mostly probably wouldn't mind the inverse either :p:.
Mithra
Honestly, men mostly probably wouldn't mind the inverse either :p:.

Fair point :p:
Wooooo, a girl from two of my old schools, my boat club up norf and who used to row for the University of London (now Molesey though) is trialling for the GB squad. I think she has an injury though so hopefully that won't impact her too much...
Reply 288
Jessaay!
Wooooo, a girl from two of my old schools, my boat club up norf and who used to row for the University of London (now Molesey though) is trialling for the GB squad. I think she has an injury though so hopefully that won't impact her too much...

Your boat club up norf? Which one is that? I thought you were a southern fairy.

But nice. I went to Uni with Sophie Hoskings (she was at my college at Durham) who's now in the GB lightweight double. My claim to fame. Unfortunately no-one really knows/cares about her outside of the rowing world. In fact they love more the fact that I went to school with a girl who was in Byker grove. She came to my 10th birthday party at Burger King :cool:
dobbs
Your boat club up norf? Which one is that? I thought you were a southern fairy.

But nice. I went to Uni with Sophie Hoskings (she was at my college at Durham) who's now in the GB lightweight double. My claim to fame. Unfortunately no-one really knows/cares about her outside of the rowing world. In fact they love more the fact that I went to school with a girl who was in Byker grove. She came to my 10th birthday party at Burger King :cool:

Haha no, Hollingworth lake rowing club, I live near(ish) manchester when not at university. Not quite as north as newcastle though admittedly.

And that's cool :cool: I LOVED Byker Grove. :woo:

I can't say I ever invited her to parties, I used to speak to her a little bit and was taught design technology back in the day by her dad. I just got a little excited because of a familiar name amongst the elite :p:
Reply 290
Jessaay!
Haha no, Hollingworth lake rowing club, I live near(ish) manchester when not at university. Not quite as north as newcastle though admittedly.

And that's cool :cool: I LOVED Byker Grove. :woo:

I can't say I ever invited her to parties, I used to speak to her a little bit and was taught design technology back in the day by her dad. I just got a little excited because of a familiar name amongst the elite :p:

Yeah I know what you mean, the stroke man from the winning Cambridge 8 from the boat race was at our club today. He's huuuuuuuge.
Reply 291
dobbs
Yeah I know what you mean, the stroke man from the winning Cambridge 8 from the boat race was at our club today. He's huuuuuuuge.

I was amazed by their bow man, he was like 5ft 10 of something :lolwut:.
Reply 292
Mithra
I was amazed by their bow man, he was like 5ft 10 of something :lolwut:.

Yeah I know. Gives me more faith in short rowers, being 5'7 myself :biggrin:
Hoo to the Ray for short people.
Reply 294
Yeah, we have a 5"4 stroke and he's amazingly powerful. I tried explaining the concept of lightweight to my mum, but she keeps repeating I'm massive (and my rugger friend calls me tiny, lol :colonhash:)
My mum tells me the opposite, "you can't do that, you're tiny". When she saw a video of me in a race once she went "I hate seeing you in the middle of that massive river... you're far too small". Then when I injured myself it was because I was too small. Then from a friend in the men's firsts "are you going to cox us next year? You're tiny, you're not really a rower" (though perhaps he was just hopeful that I'd cox his boat). Either way, I'm not that bloody small :colonhash:
Anatheme
Yeah, we have a 5"4 stroke and he's amazingly powerful. I tried explaining the concept of lightweight to my mum, but she keeps repeating I'm massive (and my rugger friend calls me tiny, lol :colonhash:)

I hope you mean she's
Reply 297
Jessaay!
My mum tells me the opposite, "you can't do that, you're tiny". When she saw a video of me in a race once she went "I hate seeing you in the middle of that massive river... you're far too small". Then when I injured myself it was because I was too small. Then from a friend in the men's firsts "are you going to cox us next year? You're tiny, you're not really a rower" (though perhaps he was just hopeful that I'd cox his boat). Either way, I'm not that bloody small :colonhash:

How small are you?

Thing is I always feel that girls can get away with being small, if they put in the effort they can do better than bigger girls who don't put in effort.

However with guys even though I'm small, a lot of the bigger guys will still go faster than me even when they don't do all of the training, just cos they can sit on their weight. Grr.

Though I do beat some of the bigger guys, which I love! :biggrin:
Reply 298
partoftheweekend
I hope you mean she's

Nope, I mean he, :colondollar: (he never revealed his height so we had him followed by a girl a bit taller than him, and she was 5"5, haha). He does triathlon as well, though, and he is massive. But small.
dobbs
How small are you?

Thing is I always feel that girls can get away with being small, if they put in the effort they can do better than bigger girls who don't put in effort.

However with guys even though I'm small, a lot of the bigger guys will still go faster than me even when they don't do all of the training, just cos they can sit on their weight. Grr.

Though I do beat some of the bigger guys, which I love! :biggrin:

I'm 5'6. I'm taller than 3 of the girls on my team (one is no bigger than about 5'3, she used to be a cox) so I don't know why people view me as being so short :p:

Quick Reply

Latest