Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    I'm confused, those seats aren't fixed, they're using their legs :confused:.

Has an odd layout of oars, wonder why they do that :beard:.
    Oh I've seen that before, Cambridge IV have like stroke, 3 and 2 on bow side and bow on stroke side. Something to do with make sure the pressure is even, I think, apparently lots of pros do that. Actually, found the pic and quote "its called frig rigged. I think its so the boat goes straighter and bow side dont pull it round . Quite alot of top fours tend to rig like this."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Oh I've seen that before, Cambridge IV have like stroke, 3 and 2 on bow side and bow on stroke side. Something to do with make sure the pressure is even, I think, apparently lots of pros do that. Actually, found the pic and quote "its called frig rigged. I think its so the boat goes straighter and bow side dont pull it round . Quite alot of top fours tend to rig like this."

Yeah it's equal pressure which also is meant to balance the boat out. If you think about the normal layout of a boat, you have stroke side both further forwards in the boat and bow side further back towards the bow, so the pressure isn't exactly equal as the oars aren't perfectly opposite each other (like in sculling).

Therefore if you frig rig a boat you should get equal pressure, because it evens out so you don't have either side further forwards or backwards than the other.

There is some study on it in 8s, was on the British Rowing website a while back, can't find it now though. Is interesting stuff

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused, those seats aren't fixed, they're using their legs :confused:.

Has an odd layout of oars, wonder why they do that :beard:.
    Apparently they have slidey seats (I stalked the youtube comments), so the seats are fixed but they slide backwards and forwards on them.

Must make for some interesting friction on your bum.

ReputationRep:
    Oh em gee. Want:

ReputationRep:
    So close to a medal at BUCS, 0.5 seconds had the crapiness of getting rowed through in the final.

Makes me want to train more though...

ReputationRep:
    Oh em gee. Want:

I thought Mario might be too short to be a rower but by the looks of things it's arms only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    So close to a medal at BUCS, 0.5 seconds had the crapiness of getting rowed through in the final.

Makes me want to train more though...
    Ahh rubbish But that's still quite amazing, well done!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Dobbs)
    I'm in Newcastle
    Don't suppose you're racing Durham City Regatta this weekend are you?

We are and are never gonna be ready :nothing:. Plus it is the day after college day :p:.

Also, I got a JL coolmax t-shirt a couple of days ago, its so comfortable :coma: (never had lycra so don't know what thats like :dontknow:).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Ahh rubbish But that's still quite amazing, well done!
    Thanks Was a really good experience despite the result. The regatta was run really well too which helped out a lot. Also interesting to see all the other unis down in one place, had a much more "fun" atmosphere than most the other regattas I've been to.

ReputationRep:
    Don't suppose you're racing Durham City Regatta this weekend are you?

We are and are never gonna be ready :nothing:. Plus it is the day after college day :p:.

Also, I got a JL coolmax t-shirt a couple of days ago, its so comfortable :coma: (never had lycra so don't know what thats like :dontknow:).
    Nope! We've decided as a club not to go to Durham City this year as it's always a joke - barely any racing and just too easy to pick up points....I got my only sculling point there last year in a double in a straight final against an Aidans double who were still half way down the course when we went over the finish line No way am I an IM3 sculler haha!

Plus Sunday is the Durham-Newcastle Uni's boat race, and the Juniors (Durham School/St. Leonards vs Tyne Juniors/Queen Elizabeth HS) boat race, so we tend to be busy with that. Plus training for Tees Regatta for the week after

And yeah JL do some really nice things - though I've found some nice Adidas TechFit short sleeved tech tops for £15 from a sports shop in Newcastle, so got a black one, red one, and a white one They are very comfortable!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Heh, no worry about picking up points for us :p:, only division I'm in the first nov 8s alone would slaughter us . Though we have put a mixed four in just because apparently that category is often ridiculous .

ReputationRep:
    I cannot believe you had no lycra. I live in lycra, and heard the story of a girl who wears hers whenever she has to write an essay as it "puts her in the mood", lmao. Décathlon does cheap lycra (leggings, t-shirts, shorts, whatever) and so does Amazon, I got a pair of Canterbury leggings for a tenner and they're the best thing in the world!

ReputationRep:
    I love lycra. We should trade some on here lol, I got some duplicates
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hehe, that is tempting :p:. Part of the reason I don't have lycra is that no-one else in my 8 does, I don't want to look ridiculously over-keen .

ReputationRep:
    :-o but lycra is the comfiest thing in the world.... I used to roll mine down to wear legs only only and use the back as a little pouch to carry water bottle when lugging the boat around. Now I have a pocket in the back of my gilet that holds it perfectly, but I have fond memories. Ssshhh,, but sometimes if I had an early morning outing, I'd leave it ont he rest of the day under my clothes it was so comfy. I <3 lycra

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    I love lycra. We should trade some on here lol, I got some duplicates
    That would be great, but I don't have any duplicates :emo:

ReputationRep:
    My tech top is far too large, I'd be up for a swap (apparently it was supposed to be small, but it clearly isn't :p: ) but then I'm not sure how many people will want a black tech top with yellow and blue stripes on the arms unless they're from my boat club :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    My tech top is far too large, I'd be up for a swap (apparently it was supposed to be small, but it clearly isn't :p: ) but then I'm not sure how many people will want a black tech top with yellow and blue stripes on the arms unless they're from my boat club :unsure:
    Ask Salford, they're blue and yellow
    I can swap with UoL, we have the same colours :proud: (granted, UoL had them before, but :shh:)

ReputationRep:
    Ask Salford, they're blue and yellow
    I can swap with UoL, we have the same colours :proud: (granted, UoL had them before, but :shh:)
    True, we're a much different one though Theirs is more a navy and mustard yellow, ours is sky blue and bright lemon yellow:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...UMS_blade2.png

Not sure why they needed to make the colours quite so garish but at least it's not the salmon pink or polka dots that I saw some teams have at HoRR :p:

ReputationRep:
    Abingdon makes me laugh every time. No matter how elite they are, men rowing in hot pink does not look good. One of the guys at my old club used to wear their blazer (he's a bit of a knob tbh [hell, a lot of a knob]) - red and white stripes. He looked like a Victorian candyman. Can't you sell your top back to your kit sec to sell on to freshers next year, or anyone else in your club who wanted a top but missed the original stash order? We had a forum we used to organise socials, boat loading and banter and kit stuff could go up on there.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.