Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    She's one of those superhumans who can manage a million things at a time.

I am not one of those people unfortunately
    Nah neither am I, and rowing VS my year abroad, the YA won by far. So hopefully having given up rowing will let me pass my year with some good grades, it'd be nice to see that I gave up for a good reason :holmes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    All hail the Hatfield Failboat

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4846894_n.jpg

ReputationRep:
    wow when did that happen?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A few weeks ago, they collided with the Prince Bishop :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Niiiiice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    That's fairly amazing, well done! Sounds like an eventful day though. Out of curiosity what's it like rowing in a coxless 4? To me it sounds impossible, I realise I'm a novice and all that but I can't imagine it going well in terms of steering (also, how on earth DO you steer?)

Rowing seems like a distant dream for me at the moment. I'm all for revision breaks but when spending 12 hours a day in the library for 7 weeks still doesn't seem to be enough to answer most exam paper questions you know you need to cut something out of your life.
    Rowing in a coxless four is so much better than a coxed four, if you are competent that is, because it feels SO much lighter, and I mean a lot lighter. You don't only not have the cox, but you don't have the whole coxes' section so the boat is lighter because of that. So with a good crew, it feels lovely

And one person steers with their foot - have the rudder cable attached to a little metal plate on the right shoe and you swivel your foot one way or the other to turn the rudder. Usually the bowman steers as they can turn to see where they're going, but it can be anyone really - in multilanes it's sometimes the stroke man as you don't need to look behind you, just stay between the buoys!

Shame you don't have time for rowing at the moment, now that the sunshine is coming out!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Doesn't it make actually rowing really awkward if you have to swivel your foot? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Doesn't it make actually rowing really awkward if you have to swivel your foot? :beard:
    It can do on a tight corner as you really have to turn it quite a way around. Not so bad with sweep as doesn't matter so much but can really mess up your stroke when sculling!

But really if you're any good and not on tight corners you just do little movements now and then. Big movements can put the balance right off.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm not sure I'd know how to row without a small person yelling at me.

ReputationRep:
    Usually you'd have one person nominated as making the calls - quite often the bowman or number 2 as after that it's hard for the bowman to hear what 3 or stroke call!

I'm a bowman and I always steer our coxless fours, and most of the time make the calls unless we're racing on a course I don't know. Plus I'm 5'7 so I fit the "small person" criteria :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    Wait until you progress through uni, it gets harder and harder unfortunately.

Unless you're really good at time management, in which case, great!
    Indeedy. But the first 2 years of medicine are all do nothing until the last 2 months and then panic as you have 4 textbooks to read :p:

The other years are more work consistently but spread it out a lot more. And only 28 days of annual leave.

When I think of it like that I wonder why I actually chose it. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I wish they'd do Medecine degrees for curious people. I'd hate being a doctor or a surgeon, but I can spend hours reading medical stuff on the Internet.

ReputationRep:
    I want-
    http://www.godfrey.co.uk/productview...=225&Submit=Go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I wish they'd do Medecine degrees for curious people. I'd hate being a doctor or a surgeon, but I can spend hours reading medical stuff on the Internet.
    Medical sciences or biomedicine are basically medicine without signing your soul away to the NHS. And most likely without medical sociology (the most boring piece of **** you'll ever come across).

ReputationRep:
    I want this because it's hot http://www.stampfli.co.uk/st1/
    I'll save money and buy a boat for when I have my house with my little river in the back garden :proud:. Or a bigger river a bit further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I want this because it's hot http://www.stampfli.co.uk/st1/
    I'll save money and buy a boat for when I have my house with my little river in the back garden :proud:. Or a bigger river a bit further.
    A young girl in my old boat club uses a boat like that(I believe it is the same boat), purchased by the club just for her. She's good, but not THAT good and a little too young to require a boat just for her.

ReputationRep:
    Medical sciences or biomedicine are basically medicine without signing your soul away to the NHS. And most likely without medical sociology (the most boring piece of **** you'll ever come across).
    Yeah, I was thinking I'd quite like doing Anatomy because I really enjoyed learning my bones and muscles when I was passing my horse-riding badges, but then again, I think I'd also quite enjoy epidemiology. Shame I'm **** at sciences
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That tux would be awesome :p:.

I want a coastal single scull for back home :moon:.

ReputationRep:
    I want-
    http://www.godfrey.co.uk/productview...=225&Submit=Go
    Urgh no you don't! A guy at our club has one and you just look like a fool when you wear it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    That tux would be awesome :p:.

I want a coastal single scull for back home :moon:.
    Actually, I should get that too. Coastal for holidays, normal scull for home :holmes:. Does anyone else pay attention to rivers and canals they pass and wonder how cool it'd be to row (or not to row) there? I happen to do that all the time, and now I think about how difficult steering would be as well, how sad…

I'm probably gonna choose my job according to whether there's a rowing club near it, now, mmh.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.