Turn on thread page Beta

Rowing Chat watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Nice :teeth:. Think our men's senior squad are going to Henley but no-one else is :moon:. Gotta train like crazy over summer to try and get in there next year :beard:. (I think half the first team have wins at Henley though so that may be tough...)
    YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH DURHAM
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tabris)
    YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH DURHAM
    Wah? :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Wah? :afraid:
    It's like DUBC's main supporting call...and also grounds for a bit of a piss-take

ReputationRep:
    Our supporting call is probably worse but just people don't notice it because we don't go to henley so it's all good. :p:

They need to be more creative though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm tempted to try out for a DUBC boat next year but I feel I'd be betraying HBBC :p:. (Also I'd rather be in HBBC tbh, I'd just like to actually get to go to some events, and I don't think even the men's second boat rowed much at all this year let alone went anywhere)

ReputationRep:
    It's like DUBC's main supporting call...and also grounds for a bit of a piss-take
    You're just jealous of Durham

ReputationRep:
    I'm tempted to try out for a DUBC boat next year but I feel I'd be betraying HBBC :p:. (Also I'd rather be in HBBC tbh, I'd just like to actually get to go to some events, and I don't think even the men's second boat rowed much at all this year let alone went anywhere)
    Row at Durham! It'll open up a whole new world of rowing pain. Plus they probably have well over 100k a year of funding. Which means good coaches, good boats, subsidised camps etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    Row at Durham! It'll open up a whole new world of rowing pain. Plus they probably have well over 100k a year of funding. Which means good coaches, good boats, subsidised camps etc.
    Yeah, Durham have an unholy amount of funding, they're so lucky.

We could only wish for the amount of stuff they get.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Durham have an unholy amount of funding, they're so lucky.

We could only wish for the amount of stuff they get.
    Haha, I wish we got any decent funding that covered more than the basics. I think over the year if you include training camp we probably spend close to £1k for everything all together, now that's dedication from Uni students if I ever saw it, and they want to give our funding to people to buy lego!?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Marink)
    Haha, I wish we got any decent funding that covered more than the basics. I think over the year if you include training camp we probably spend close to £1k for everything all together, now that's dedication from Uni students if I ever saw it, and they want to give our funding to people to buy lego!?
    Josephine Butler college here have to rent their boats from the local rowing club :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Josephine Butler college here have to rent their boats from the local rowing club :p:.
    Are you sure? I thought when they were formed they got a few bought for them and kept them in Trevs' boathouse (Clive's hut!)

And yes, DUBC get a huge amount of funding, but then they're the only high performance rowing club outside of the South East - I'm proud that other than the south east it's the north east who has this.

They do have fantastic coaches - Wade is brilliant and unlike some coaches he's a really nice guy too, and whilst many of them aren't the most pleasant of people there are a few nice ones, and you can't help but be in awe of their skill!

They row on the Tyne. I raced their Women's 8s doing seat racing the other day, I was in a single. They beat me. Haha.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Are you sure? I thought when they were formed they got a few bought for them and kept them in Trevs' boathouse (Clive's hut!)

And yes, DUBC get a huge amount of funding, but then they're the only high performance rowing club outside of the South East - I'm proud that other than the south east it's the north east who has this.

They do have fantastic coaches - Wade is brilliant and unlike some coaches he's a really nice guy too, and whilst many of them aren't the most pleasant of people there are a few nice ones, and you can't help but be in awe of their skill!

They row on the Tyne. I raced their Women's 8s doing seat racing the other day, I was in a single. They beat me. Haha.
    Maybe they do have some of their own :beard:, never seen them out in anything other than DARC boats but only seen them out once or twice :p:.

I saw that DUBC row on the tyne, how does that work with the volume of training they presumably do too?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they do have some of their own :beard:, never seen them out in anything other than DARC boats but only seen them out once or twice :p:.

I saw that DUBC row on the tyne, how does that work with the volume of training they presumably do too?
    What do you mean how does that work? They get up very early, drive the 25min journey up the A1, and train.

On weekends they start at about 7.30 and train through til midday.

They also come up some evenings.

Rowing for DUBC requires a high level of commitment, but it seems worth it given the number of athletes they've sent onto world champs/olympics etc!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dobbs)
    What do you mean how does that work? They get up very early, drive the 25min journey up the A1, and train.

On weekends they start at about 7.30 and train through til midday.

They also come up some evenings.

Rowing for DUBC requires a high level of commitment, but it seems worth it given the number of athletes they've sent onto world champs/olympics etc!
    God thats awful :p:. I meant on normal days they would have to get up ridiculously early to get back before lectures, but I guess most people doing uni sports seem to do arts degrees anyway :moon: (plus as you say they do get up very early).

ReputationRep:
    God thats awful :p:. I meant on normal days they would have to get up ridiculously early to get back before lectures, but I guess most people doing uni sports seem to do arts degrees anyway :moon: (plus as you say they do get up very early).
    Often when you reach a good level you'll spend a lot more of the year in smaller boats. This means that you don't necessarily need to go out as a big squad and can be much more flexible with training times. I think its even harder when people have actual jobs (ie no-ones gonna fire you or turning up late to a lecture), and have to work 40 hours a week. As students this is probably the only part of your life where you're going to be able to train nearly as much as a full-time athlete.

Especially when all these stupid exams are over

ReputationRep:
    Often when you reach a good level you'll spend a lot more of the year in smaller boats. This means that you don't necessarily need to go out as a big squad and can be much more flexible with training times. I think its even harder when people have actual jobs (ie no-ones gonna fire you or turning up late to a lecture), and have to work 40 hours a week. As students this is probably the only part of your life where you're going to be able to train nearly as much as a full-time athlete.

Especially when all these stupid exams are over
    Very true!

The last few weeks as we've been training in small boats it's been fantastic just getting down to the club, getting my single out and just bashing out the training session, whatever it may be. Fantastic!!

Then you get a bit lonely and long for being in a 4 or an 8 again, then you do that for a while and enjoy it until the whole "Oh John is going to be late tonight" or "Ah crap someone can't make it, we need a sub, which we'll have to wait ages for" or "Bill has broken his footplate so he needs to fix it, will take 45mins" and then you're just like GRRRR GET A MOVE ON I WANT TO ROW :mad: !!!

Then you get back in a single and it's sooooo nice again. It's a good cycle to be in :yep:

And yeah there's differences between working and studying though, it's not all always better for studying - yeah you've got early mornings but generally have a more hectic "free time" i.e. essays, revision, dissertation, etc. and also things get messed up due to all those holidays and stuff. Plus usually have less income to help, or access to a car and stuff like that.

Whereas as you say us people who work have generally less time (no way could I do early morning training, I start work at 7.30!) and sometimes I need to work late or go to evening seminars for work. But when I have free time I don't have essay commitments or anything

ReputationRep:
    Can I just add how much I hate 2k tests? Seriously give me a 5k, 10k, whatever any day of the week, but 2k?! It is actually a test devised by the devil himself.

Did one tonight and spent the best part of 30 minutes throwing up afterwards

....then went for a run ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Can I just add how much I hate 2k tests? Seriously give me a 5k, 10k, whatever any day of the week, but 2k?! It is actually a test devised by the devil himself.

Did one tonight and spent the best part of 30 minutes throwing up afterwards

....then went for a run ha.
    How'd it go? I've got mine in 3 days

ReputationRep:
    Gotta love FB:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-have...7983422?v=wall

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=59235446026

ReputationRep:
    How'd it go? I've got mine in 3 days
    Well other than the feeling sick for the rest of the evening, I managed a pb at 6:45.2, but really not sure if I'll ever pull a better 2k than that...at 5'7 and 68kg I'm really touching my limit I think.

Would like to hit 6:40 though, maybe one day

Good luck with yours! Make sure you hit it incredibly hard off the start to give you a good platform to work off

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.