Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Well other than the feeling sick for the rest of the evening, I managed a pb at 6:45.2, but really not sure if I'll ever pull a better 2k than that...at 5'7 and 68kg I'm really touching my limit I think.

Would like to hit 6:40 though, maybe one day

Good luck with yours! Make sure you hit it incredibly hard off the start to give you a good platform to work off
    Thats a pretty incredible power to weight. If you extrapolate it up to 90kgs, you'd be sub 6:10! What do you tend to rate for it?

ReputationRep:
    Change of plan now so im doing mine tomorrow arghsdkl. Pain time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    Thats a pretty incredible power to weight. If you extrapolate it up to 90kgs, you'd be sub 6:10! What do you tend to rate for it?
    Yeah I know, though unfortunately it's not my weight that's the limiting factor, it's my height I could easily put on the pounds if I knew it would help me, but it really wouldn't. As I say, I might get it down to 6:40 if I really work at it, but won't hold my breath :rolleyes:

For the rate, I went off at R40 then that came down to about 36 for first 200m, then dropped to 32 for the majority I think, and dropped further to 30/31 in the 600m - 300m section, then back up to 32/33 for last 300m (though don't particularly remember the last 300m, hanging on for dear life at a pitiful 1:46/47 split, urgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Can I just add how much I hate 2k tests? Seriously give me a 5k, 10k, whatever any day of the week, but 2k?! It is actually a test devised by the devil himself.

Did one tonight and spent the best part of 30 minutes throwing up afterwards

....then went for a run ha.
    Don't remind me about the pain of a 2k. Did 20 x 100m on Wednesday, was possibly the most painful thing I've ever done, they really aren't fun in any sense of the word.

And then I've got my 2k test next Wednesday, I'm hoping to go sub 7 for the first time, last time I did it was on the first day of training camp and got an agonising 7:03.5 so I should hopefully get it down.

I thought we'd got past the pain already.

ReputationRep:
    Am I harsh for laughing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Am I harsh for laughing?

Oddly that's not far off some of the rowing techniques I've seen people do before.

But that is just really, really special... How did she even think that was right? Has she never seen ANY rowing? Also is she wearing a unisuit? That's fairly worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Am I harsh for laughing?

Nope, I burst out laughing too, that is amazing, has she not looked at the sticker on it, that's step by step basic rowing. To be fair, I've never met a gym instructor that can actually teach you how to row properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marink)
    Nope, I burst out laughing too, that is amazing, has she not looked at the sticker on it, that's step by step basic rowing. To be fair, I've never met a gym instructor that can actually teach you how to row properly.
    I found the sticker quite clear, tbf :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Quality results at the world cup, 6 golds and 5 silvers I think. Shame about the pair though, looks like its sewn up for the olympics already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    Quality results at the world cup, 6 golds and 5 silvers I think. Shame about the pair though, looks like its sewn up for the olympics already
    Yeah, was watching the replay's, was training while it was on surprisingly. Some nice rowing going on, looks like we've got a decent all round squad.

Hey all,

I am a lightweight rower heading to cambridge next year (fingers crossed conditional offer XD). I am wondering the sorts of Ergometer times required for both college boats and University Lightweight boats. I am quite technically proficient (rowed for five years), so I think the main question is fitness. Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyXXI)
    Hey all,

I am a lightweight rower heading to cambridge next year (fingers crossed conditional offer XD). I am wondering the sorts of Ergometer times required for both college boats and University Lightweight boats. I am quite technically proficient (rowed for five years), so I think the main question is fitness. Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
    I think you'd be better off asking that in the Cambridge fora, I don't think anyone on this thread is studying there? My coach used to row lightweight for the university (Cambridge, not mine), I'll ask him about it

could you point to in that direction? i'm new here .

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    could you point to in that direction? i'm new here .

Thanks!
    I love how you found that thread quicker than the Cambridge forum, haha. Anyway, I've asked my coach, so waiting for the reply, now, and here's the Cambridge forum

Appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Appreciated.
    Right, he just got back to me, and said that depending on the standards, the top VIII would be somewhere in the 6:20s. Hope that helps, even a bit, haha :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Cheers.
    Ive raced Oxford lightweights a fair few times and I wouldn't say they were all in the 6:20's! If you can go sub 6:40 you should be in with a shot of getting in the top boat imo. Seeing as 6:43 is the U23 GB trial standard and 6:33 is the senior standard going sub 6:30 would be a pretty big ask. As for your college I think it depends massively on which college you're at.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else got any regattas coming up? Met regatta for me this weekend, some tough opposition by the looks of it. Should be a good learning experience anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Met, Marlow and Henley..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slicksomnia)
    Met, Marlow and Henley..
    What event are you doing at Met/Henley?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.