Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    Did my first post henley session today after a 4 week layoff. 18k erg, I am in pain...
    18k? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    18K sounds rather like murder...

ReputationRep:
    Why would you do an 18k as a welcome home session?

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the Durham Uni Sculling Camp this week which is amazingly good - being coached by various coaches from Durham Uni, Tideway Scullers, Uni of Bristol, and some British Rowing coaches.

It's just fantastic how some of them can just watch you scull for a few strokes and pick on the tiniest of things, tell you how to change it, and suddenly it's like "WOW!" when you realise what you've been doing wrong.

My sculling has improved ten-fold within the past 4 days. My feet and hands are ripped to shreds though (feet because the shoes in my single are not very good for me!!)

ReputationRep:
    Cos I is 'ard. Nah it was 6k X 3 with little breaks. I need to hit it hard or next year I wont even make the 2nds
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dobbs)
    I'm on the Durham Uni Sculling Camp this week which is amazingly good - being coached by various coaches from Durham Uni, Tideway Scullers, Uni of Bristol, and some British Rowing coaches.

It's just fantastic how some of them can just watch you scull for a few strokes and pick on the tiniest of things, tell you how to change it, and suddenly it's like "WOW!" when you realise what you've been doing wrong.

My sculling has improved ten-fold within the past 4 days. My feet and hands are ripped to shreds though (feet because the shoes in my single are not very good for me!!)
    I'm tempted to just ask HBBC to use the single scull next year as there's no way I'm going to get to row in an 8 :beard:. The single is horrendous though (duct tape running the entire length of the bow for one thing).

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good tips for sculling? At the moment I'm doing ok, but I have a tendancy to lose balance quite a lot unless I get into a good routine.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I have absolutely no motivation anymore, eurgh. I hate ergos and I'm never going to get into a team that can row next year :nothing:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    I have absolutely no motivation anymore, eurgh. I hate ergos and I'm never going to get into a team that can row next year :nothing:.
    I hate them too. They make me want to go and kill the nearest living object after the first 350 metres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Does anyone have any good tips for sculling? At the moment I'm doing ok, but I have a tendancy to lose balance quite a lot unless I get into a good routine.
    One of the hardest things I find with sculling is the amount of concentration it takes. Reminds me of when I was first learning to drive. Usually if I can keep my concentration up then I can keep my balance ok. Also make sure blade extraction is as tidy as possible so you can get set up well. And sequence, arms + body over on the recovery at the back of the slide when its easier to balance.

And I suck at sculling anyways

Current dilemma is whether to try to go lightweight or not. Im just over 6 foot and 85kgs currently...

ReputationRep:
    One of the hardest things I find with sculling is the amount of concentration it takes. Reminds me of when I was first learning to drive. Usually if I can keep my concentration up then I can keep my balance ok. Also make sure blade extraction is as tidy as possible so you can get set up well. And sequence, arms + body over on the recovery at the back of the slide when its easier to balance.

And I suck at sculling anyways

Current dilemma is whether to try to go lightweight or not. Im just over 6 foot and 85kgs currently...
    Yeah I think it might be blade extraction, I think sweep oar -> sculling has made it hard for me to get used to the fact I actually have two blades instead of one. Plus the boat they give me isn't as light as it could be because they give the better ones to the older/longer term members, so I probably try to overcompensate with power.

I'm 5 foot 6ish/7 and 54kg so I have no choice whatever I do :p:

Edit: out of curiosity, what is UL like when it comes to height etc? I'm not planning on joining anywhere else yet but my boat club doesn't train as much as I'd like to in the future and I have a feeling I'd like to switch in a year or so and I'm looking at my options a little (I'm always scared my height or lack there of is an issue).

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5 foot 6ish/7 and 54kg so I have no choice whatever I do :p:

Edit: out of curiosity, what is UL like when it comes to height etc? I'm not planning on joining anywhere else yet but my boat club doesn't train as much as I'd like to in the future and I have a feeling I'd like to switch in a year or so and I'm looking at my options a little (I'm always scared my height or lack there of is an issue).
    5 foot 7 and 54kg is perfect for any lightweight womens crew boat. Lots of coaches would love to have you at that weight because in most races the crew average has to be below a certain amount. Even if you looked at international lightweight 5'7 is probably around average, we've got a girl doing trials for the US lightweight squad thats 5'6.

The most important thing would just be dedication. If you can do the training that you're set and don't take shortcuts then you're nearly guaranteed some degree of success.

In the meantime, if you haven't got a lot of coaching, just work on getting fit and/or your 2k down. If you can go sub 8 mins thats a definite bonus.

ReputationRep:
    5 foot 7 and 54kg is perfect for any lightweight womens crew boat. Lots of coaches would love to have you at that weight because in most races the crew average has to be below a certain amount. Even if you looked at international lightweight 5'7 is probably around average, we've got a girl doing trials for the US lightweight squad thats 5'6.

The most important thing would just be dedication. If you can do the training that you're set and don't take shortcuts then you're nearly guaranteed some degree of success.

In the meantime, if you haven't got a lot of coaching, just work on getting fit and/or your 2k down. If you can go sub 8 mins thats a definite bonus.
    Awesome. Thanks! I'll consider it. Last year in the novice team was fine, but I'll be joining the seconds most likely this year and they very rarely can be bothered to row and nobody in the boat club has any ARA points, which isn't an issue now as neither do I and probably won't for a while, but I'm taking part in a lot more races at the place I'm rowing with during the summer and to be kicked off a team if I ever manage to reach IM3 would be quite ridiculous (not to mention I'd quite like to be a bit more competitive when I get a bit more experienced). Having won a race this summer has already caused issues for my friend who has recently decided to transfer to your end.

Anyway, thanks for your help! Getting a sub 8 mins 2k is a project of mine, hopefully will be achievable soon.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to give tips without seeing how you're currently sculling unfortunately, but I guess, without this getting too long...

1. As partoftheweekend says, it's amazing how much concentration is required when you're in a single, absolutely everything you do will have an impact upon your balance. So firstly you need to try and make sure that when you're sculling you basically blank out anything that's happening around you or on the bank etc. Easier said than done!

2. Confidence. Absolutely key. You need to be in the mindset that you don't care if you capsize. If you worry about it then forget it, no point sculling if you're worried about capsizing. I've just recently learned this when I went out on the Tyne and a thunderstorm started - high winds, thunder in the distance, rain, large waves, etc. and I loved it - obviously trying to get back to the club as fast as possible, but just had loads of fun over huge waves, whereas in the past I'd be crapping myself. So try to enjoy bad conditions, if that makes sense!

3. Right, technical-wise, if you're having problems with the balance, as has been said, it's all set up from the extraction, which needs to be clean (get both elbows back and make sure your shoulders are behind your hips so you've got the proper lean back), try to make sure that your wrists are flat when extracting the blades, otherwise you'll be washing them out - flat wrist tap down then feather.

From this, make sure the arms away are quick and smooth (especially important for lightweights as we gain free speed here), but the key thing I've learned recently is that the balance on the recovery is set at the arms away and body over position. So arms away, pivot body over, make sure the weight of your hips/pelvis is on the front of your seat and both feet are down on the footplate before you move up the slide. Basically, set your catch position before you slide. Then all you need to do is slide and square up

Again, easier said than done, but really focus on setting your catch position before you slide. Arms away, body over, weight on front of your seat and weight on your feet - equal on both feet and both bumcheeks!!

I knew this would turn into a long post....oops :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    It's hard to give tips without seeing how you're currently sculling unfortunately, but I guess, without this getting too long...

1. As partoftheweekend says, it's amazing how much concentration is required when you're in a single, absolutely everything you do will have an impact upon your balance. So firstly you need to try and make sure that when you're sculling you basically blank out anything that's happening around you or on the bank etc. Easier said than done!

2. Confidence. Absolutely key. You need to be in the mindset that you don't care if you capsize. If you worry about it then forget it, no point sculling if you're worried about capsizing. I've just recently learned this when I went out on the Tyne and a thunderstorm started - high winds, thunder in the distance, rain, large waves, etc. and I loved it - obviously trying to get back to the club as fast as possible, but just had loads of fun over huge waves, whereas in the past I'd be crapping myself. So try to enjoy bad conditions, if that makes sense!

3. Right, technical-wise, if you're having problems with the balance, as has been said, it's all set up from the extraction, which needs to be clean (get both elbows back and make sure your shoulders are behind your hips so you've got the proper lean back), try to make sure that your wrists are flat when extracting the blades, otherwise you'll be washing them out - flat wrist tap down then feather.

From this, make sure the arms away are quick and smooth (especially important for lightweights as we gain free speed here), but the key thing I've learned recently is that the balance on the recovery is set at the arms away and body over position. So arms away, pivot body over, make sure the weight of your hips/pelvis is on the front of your seat and both feet are down on the footplate before you move up the slide. Basically, set your catch position before you slide. Then all you need to do is slide and square up

Again, easier said than done, but really focus on setting your catch position before you slide. Arms away, body over, weight on front of your seat and weight on your feet - equal on both feet and both bumcheeks!!

I knew this would turn into a long post....oops :o:
    Thanks Yeah it was a shot in the dark asking for tips when nobody really knows what my technique is like right now and as helpful as my current coaches seem most of their attention has to be directed towards the juniors :p:

As it goes I'm much more confident now than I was initially. At first all I could really think about was the possibility of capsising but what you say about rowing in adverse conditions is especially true. Especially today I had to sub in a quad with a load of juniors and we nearly crashed into a water tower/sailing boats/windsurfers and pretty much had to row over tidal waves. I was surprisingly calm whereas I used to get ridiculously panicked.

I've heard one of my issues is tense shoulders and wrists. I don't mean to do it, I think it may have been a habit back from when I was less confident, but I find I do much better when I relax a little more (being tense also meant I bent my arms too soon without realising).

What you've said at point three is very helpful actually. I'll think about it all next time I'm out. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    I used to also watch stuff like this too, just before I went on the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=882yriTw1VA

ReputationRep:
    Been rowing at Dobbs's old club for the time being, before I decide whether or not to rejoin my university boat club for senior year.

ReputationRep:
    Been too long since I did an erg.

I'm so craptacular.

Pretty much 70:30 in favour of returning to the uni bc. Feel like a bit of a let down though. Going to have to get better at my ergs, fast.

ReputationRep:
    I need to do a 30 min.
    erghhhh

ReputationRep:
    We've got a few GB U18 and U23 boys in our squad this year.

Good times.

If I do rejoin, I'm going to look even worse though haha.

Also found out that the our Temple 8 were body doubles for the dutch national eight in The Social Network. Only just tagged as to why they had pics wearing dutch lycra when I watched the movie last night.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.