Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Did a 1k test yesterday (3:36), intro for us noob freshers,
    I am not looking forward to 2k in future :indiff:

i wasn't looking at the distance remaining :/ i reckon i could have done better, really destroyed myself, if i had known :p: too busy focusing on keeping rating up..

ReputationRep:
    hi!
    I was thinking about maybe participating in rowing in uni. is cox training hard?

ReputationRep:
    Week 1 of 100% done.

Only one more week of it to go before we wind down.

Edit:

Got an email about the 2nd 100% week.

Another 14x1500m.

**** life.

ReputationRep:
    I made the 2nd VIII. Trials today were absolute hell. My 30min score wasn't great (but ok considering I'm the lightest girl in the boat club) but the captainwas impressed with the fact I can get a really good split if I'm sprinting and that I have a sub 8 minute 2k. Endurance is just not my forte.

I get to row this year yaaay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    I made the 2nd VIII. Trials today were absolute hell. My 30min score wasn't great (but ok considering I'm the lightest girl in the boat club) but the captainwas impressed with the fact I can get a really good split if I'm sprinting and that I have a sub 8 minute 2k. Endurance is just not my forte.

I get to row this year yaaay!
    How'd you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    How'd you do?
    In the 30 min? 6214m

ReputationRep:
    sub 8 for a lightie is pretty good! Whats the first race for you guys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    sub 8 for a lightie is pretty good! Whats the first race for you guys?
    I'm really quite good at sprinting but awful at long distance things. I think if we were doing 2k for trials I'd have had a shot at our 1st VIII but I'm not ready yet. I definitely need to improve on the endurance. My fitness is fine, I just seem to get bored, distracted and demoralised. I can't keep anywhere near as good a split for a 30 minute as I can for shorter ones.

I think the Cambridge head is the first race. Either that or the allom cup. I'm really not sure which comes before which. I'm really excited though I miss racing so much. What about UL? My good friend joined recently, he moved from RUMSBC to UL... it is possible you know him.

ReputationRep:
    Just do loads of stuff like 1 hour UT2, 3x6k UT2, 2x30mins UT2 or whatever else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    Did a 1k test yesterday (3:36), intro for us noob freshers,
    I am not looking forward to 2k in future :indiff:

i wasn't looking at the distance remaining :/ i reckon i could have done better, really destroyed myself, if i had known :p: too busy focusing on keeping rating up..
    Were you rowing today? If so, I think I saw you when you were carrying the boat out of the bay with some other very tall people because my friend and I had to wait for you all to stumble past before we could go back upstairs.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting results for GB in New Zealand: disappointing results in the events that Britain likes to focus on: coxless four and pairs and not sure yet about the 8+ (live coverage starts on BBC Red Button in less than an hour) and great results in the events that the British rowing institution has often snubbed: lightweight/sculling/women (Gold in LM2X, LM4- and W4X and respectable bronze for Alan Campbell in 1X although that was slightly disappointing as Synek made him look particularly unfit)

ReputationRep:
    Were you rowing today? If so, I think I saw you when you were carrying the boat out of the bay with some other very tall people because my friend and I had to wait for you all to stumble past before we could go back upstairs.
    Yeah we were at chiswick yesterday outing finished just before 3 i think
    Ermm there's a few tall guys, we were carrying a black boat?
    sorry about holding you up though :p: should've said hi!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    Yeah we were at chiswick yesterday outing finished just before 3 i think
    Ermm there's a few tall guys, we were carrying a black boat?
    sorry about holding you up though :p: should've said hi!

Yeah I had two outings. First subbing with the novices then with the 2nd VIII. You were coming off the water just as we were having our crew chat I think.

The reason I pointed out the tallness was because you seemed significantly taller than our novices were last year :p:

It was indeed a black boat, but I recognised someone and I later came to the realisation it may well have been you. I'm good with faces but often can't place where I've seen them before. Which is actually quite useless. Otherwise would have said hi

By the way our male novices are looking awesome :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    One of our novvies pulled 1:19 over 250m.

Made me feel like a lightweight J15 girl.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I had two outings. First subbing with the novices then with the 2nd VIII. You were coming off the water just as we were having our crew chat I think.

The reason I pointed out the tallness was because you seemed significantly taller than our novices were last year :p:

It was indeed a black boat, but I recognised someone and I later came to the realisation it may well have been you. I'm good with faces but often can't place where I've seen them before. Which is actually quite useless. Otherwise would have said hi

By the way our male novices are looking awesome :teehee:
    I saw the UL crews yesterday, they're all monsters! tall and beasty haha :eek4:

ahh no worries next time! When the complete stranger comes and says hi, i'll know it's you :p:

and are they now :holmes: are they complete novices, or have some had experience before?
    bring on the sprints! :mwuaha:

ReputationRep:
    I'm really quite good at sprinting but awful at long distance things. I think if we were doing 2k for trials I'd have had a shot at our 1st VIII but I'm not ready yet. I definitely need to improve on the endurance. My fitness is fine, I just seem to get bored, distracted and demoralised. I can't keep anywhere near as good a split for a 30 minute as I can for shorter ones.

I think the Cambridge head is the first race. Either that or the allom cup. I'm really not sure which comes before which. I'm really excited though I miss racing so much. What about UL? My good friend joined recently, he moved from RUMSBC to UL... it is possible you know him.
    Yeah im pretty sure I know who youre talking about

Probably one of the easiest ways to get good is by doing the stuff that youre bad at. I used to be rubbish at squatting and hated long ergs, especially as we do them without our feet strapped in, but now because Ive done lots of both it all becomes a lot easier and not something I worry about.

Your 30 minute UT1/2 pace will probably be about 20+ seconds per 500 slower than your 2k pace so I wouldnt worry about the split drop too much. Theres a good erg split calculator on the concept2 site where you put in your 2k and it gives you recommended split intervals for varying distances, its worth giving a try.

http://concept2.co.uk/training/interactive
    here found it, just enter in your details and itll generate a table with paces

ReputationRep:
    I just started rowing when I came to uni this term. I love it, I can feel myself getting fitter/stronger - I've put on 7lb and I'd say a good chunk of that is muscle, my arms are starting to look more than a bit hench! I haven't done a 2k yet (eek) but I've done some 500m sprints and my time has gone from 2:06 to 2:03 and now 2:01 (the last 2 I did after 1.5 hours of circuit training) :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I hope this thread hasn't died! I'm coxing for the first time EVER on Sunday (novice men) - does anyone have any tips? Especailly since I'e only done perhaps 7 outings myself...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    I hope this thread hasn't died! I'm coxing for the first time EVER on Sunday (novice men) - does anyone have any tips? Especailly since I'e only done perhaps 7 outings myself...
    Dont think its died, maybe were all just training too much! My tips would be to not steer too much, if you use the rudder loads it pretty much acts like a handbrake. Also steer by using the horizon and making small adjustments.

And novice men you can boss around quite a bit but when you get better crews dont do it so much cos theyll know what theyre doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    Dont think its died, maybe were all just training too much! My tips would be to not steer too much, if you use the rudder loads it pretty much acts like a handbrake. Also steer by using the horizon and making small adjustments.

And novice men you can boss around quite a bit but when you get better crews dont do it so much cos theyll know what theyre doing.
    I don't even know HOW to steer. Or how to turn the boat. I'm even worreid I'll mix up stroke and bow

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.