Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Rowing Chat watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    Cambridge race in 8's but also do things like 4's head in fours and other things I guess like training and seat racing. Same with most other unis. Also the 2 student events at henley are either in 8's or a 4+ so basically at the end of the year you'll end up in one or the other depending on numbers. Like you said 4's tend to be harder so its good training to spend time in them, as with other small boats.

Not sure what an italian rig is but I guess you mean what I call bucket or frig rigged. Can be useful as long as you clear you puddles
    Thanks for the help! By italian rigged I mean:

Stroke(4)
    Bow(3)
    Bow(2)
    Stroke(1)

It's really confusing, and sucks if you're at seat 2 like me because in the warm up when we were rowing in pairs I didn't get to sit out properly because you have to go up and down the slide to prevent oars hitting :P We won't race in a boat like that, but our 1st VIII were having a day off as they rowed all weekend in London.

In other news, failed my 2k today completely...I was aching from last night so got like 7:30ish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave_Beeston)
    Thanks for the help! By italian rigged I mean:

Stroke(4)
    Bow(3)
    Bow(2)
    Stroke(1)

In other news, failed my 2k today completely...I was aching from last night so got like 7:30ish
    Yeah, that's bucket rigging. Imagine if you had a bucket or container on the side, that's what it kinda looks like.

You'll get better at your 2k. 7'30 isn't a bad time.... for a woman

I kid. Don't worry about it, my first 2k wasn't much better than that... and my 2ks still aren't fantastic. Can get sub-7, but when everyone on the first boat is between 5'59 and 6'15, it's a bit ehhhhh.

Plus you're still in school, so plenty of time to improve! You'll be beasting it all out when you start university rowing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    My friend capsised in a single scull in the thames
    I can taste the Thames in my mouth now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    I can taste the Thames in my mouth now.
    It's delicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    Yeah, that's bucket rigging. Imagine if you had a bucket or container on the side, that's what it kinda looks like.

You'll get better at your 2k. 7'30 isn't a bad time.... for a woman

I kid. Don't worry about it, my first 2k wasn't much better than that... and my 2ks still aren't fantastic. Can get sub-7, but when everyone on the first boat is between 5'59 and 6'15, it's a bit ehhhhh.

Plus you're still in school, so plenty of time to improve! You'll be beasting it all out when you start university rowing.
    Yeh, I've got two years to get it down. It's just fitness really, I pull down to about 1:24 split going all out but I obviously can't keep it like that. 5'59!? That's Sub GB Standard :P Their J18 is like 6:40!

And i'm a guy, so yeh, 7:30 isn't a good time. Only done one before which I got like 7:20

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I've got two years to get it down. It's just fitness really, I pull down to about 1:24 split going all out but I obviously can't keep it like that. 5'59!? That's Sub GB Standard :P Their J18 is like 6:40!

And i'm a guy, so yeh, 7:30 isn't a good time. Only done one before which I got like 7:20
    Yeah, I know. Some of the guys in the 1st boat this year are insane. They're all in good stead for GB U23s. I think senior requirements are sub 6'10, but obvs the GB seniors have more than just good erg scores. The 5'59 was last year during training for regatta season, mad.

Like a lot of our 2nd boat guys are in the region of 6'15 to 6'25.

You'll be fine though, my first 2k was like 7'24... but I did rate like a slug at 24. So you'll get it down soon enough. No worries

ReputationRep:

As Tabris says, 7:30-20 isn't a bad/unexpected time at all for a beginner to the sport, especially a junior, so don't be too disheartened by that at all.

My first ever 2k must have been something like 7:45 at some dreadfully high rating and poor technique.

My pb is now 6:42, at 68kg and 5'7 which I'm very happy with, though that was a year ago and now my training has practically stopped due to workload on my PGCE!

I'm basically doing an erg (30mins or so) once or twice a week if I'm lucky and getting out on the water in Bristol in a single on a Saturday morning for a couple of hours. Can't wait to have this course over and done with so I can get back into stupidly hardcore training....why do I miss it so much?! I must be crazy!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    As Tabris says, 7:30-20 isn't a bad/unexpected time at all for a beginner to the sport, especially a junior, so don't be too disheartened by that at all.

My first ever 2k must have been something like 7:45 at some dreadfully high rating and poor technique.

My pb is now 6:42, at 68kg and 5'7 which I'm very happy with, though that was a year ago and now my training has practically stopped due to workload on my PGCE!

I'm basically doing an erg (30mins or so) once or twice a week if I'm lucky and getting out on the water in Bristol in a single on a Saturday morning for a couple of hours. Can't wait to have this course over and done with so I can get back into stupidly hardcore training....why do I miss it so much?! I must be crazy!! :rolleyes:
    Haha you are crazy! It's bloody hard work :cool:

Would it make more sense why I was disappointed if I said I was 6' and 82.5kg? I'm also rowing 4 times a week too :P I'm fine racing at high rates because it's easier to get strength in due to how the boat moves at rating 30 so I don't struggle with stamina then but if I tried doing a rating 30 piece on an ergo for sort of 16 minutes I'd die!

Also, does anyone know what the average 2k time for CUBC is? I want to be able to row there

ReputationRep:

Would it make more sense why I was disappointed if I said I was 6' and 82.5kg? I'm also rowing 4 times a week too :P I'm fine racing at high rates because it's easier to get strength in due to how the boat moves at rating 30 so I don't struggle with stamina then but if I tried doing a rating 30 piece on an ergo for sort of 16 minutes I'd die!

Also, does anyone know what the average 2k time for CUBC is? I want to be able to row there
    It takes time for you to build up the required stamina for doing the work on an erg, it's not like running which is a movement we do in our daily lives (well, walking)...rowing is completely different to anything we usually do so if you've just started then as I say your body will need to get used to it.

As someone else said, think about doing 1 x 60min erg once a week (though if you have a specific training plan with your club then stick to that!), which will build up your aerobic base (basically how efficiently your body can transport oxygen to your muscles over a long sustained period of time), which helps massively with any pieces you do.

Give it time, believe me it will come, and I fully expect you to easily beat my pb with a bit more time!

Not sure what the average 2k time is for CUBC but I'd say at your weight/height you should certainly be aiming for sub 6:30, though not anytime soon.

PS. Last year before I started my PGCE and I had a full time job, I trained Mon-Thurs 6pm-9pm, Sat 8am-1pm (2 sessions), Sun 8am-11am. That's 7 sessions a week. Fridays were "active recovery" days...i.e. not just lounging around - light jog or something like that! You've got this to look forward to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    It takes time for you to build up the required stamina for doing the work on an erg, it's not like running which is a movement we do in our daily lives (well, walking)...rowing is completely different to anything we usually do so if you've just started then as I say your body will need to get used to it.

As someone else said, think about doing 1 x 60min erg once a week (though if you have a specific training plan with your club then stick to that!), which will build up your aerobic base (basically how efficiently your body can transport oxygen to your muscles over a long sustained period of time), which helps massively with any pieces you do.

Give it time, believe me it will come, and I fully expect you to easily beat my pb with a bit more time!

Not sure what the average 2k time is for CUBC but I'd say at your weight/height you should certainly be aiming for sub 6:30, though not anytime soon.

PS. Last year before I started my PGCE and I had a full time job, I trained Mon-Thurs 6pm-9pm, Sat 8am-1pm (2 sessions), Sun 8am-11am. That's 7 sessions a week. Fridays were "active recovery" days...i.e. not just lounging around - light jog or something like that! You've got this to look forward to
    Thanks for your help Yeh, I have on water sessions most days, but obviously because of only rowing for a term my technique isn't as great as the people in the 2nd VIII so i'm in the 3rds atm! Yay for me ;D I'll try fit an ergo sesh in on a Sunday and just do start off at something rediculous, like a 2:15-2:20 split and see if I can maintain that for 60-90 minutes :P Build it up I guess! 6:30...there are guys in our 1st VIII who won against France in a 4+ race for GB that only get 6:40ish!

ReputationRep:

Average time at CUBC depends on whether its a strong year (post olympics) or a weaker one, like this year. It'll be around 6:05ish though, closer to 6 in strong and closer to 6:10 when weak.

http://concept2.co.uk/birc/results_d...=2005&event=A2

Here's an example of a strong one! And remember these aren't necessarily PB's as it's completely at the wrong time of year.

Goldie is always a possibility if you can get your erg 6:20 or under (and be a good rower!)

ReputationRep:
    .there are guys in our 1st VIII who won against France in a 4+ race for GB that only get 6:40ish!
    Get used to hearing this phrase "ergs don't float" i.e. just because you're a beast on the erg, it doesn't mean you will move a boat well; and if you don't pull fantastic erg times, doesn't mean you can't move a boat efficiently!

There was a guy at my old club in his 30s, about 5'10 and something like 85kg, and pulled usually some of the slowest erg times in the squad. However, he had sculled since being 12 years old and whenever the long-distance sculling races came around he would easily come first out of the entire squad...simply because his technique in a single scull was so fine tuned!

ReputationRep:
    Wycliffe Head cancelled tomorrow due to Strong Tail Winds

Was going to be my first ever race with the 6th formers! Had only raced once before but that was with Year 10s when I was doing my initial training. I don't care that I was going to have to get up at 5am for it, was just so excited! Anyone here remember their first race?

ReputationRep:

Was going to be my first ever race with the 6th formers! Had only raced once before but that was with Year 10s when I was doing my initial training. I don't care that I was going to have to get up at 5am for it, was just so excited! Anyone here remember their first race?
    Shame, are you going to do the City of Bristol Head on the 20th Feb? I'll be there in my single

Though I couldn't get out in it this morning due to the wind Boo!

ReputationRep:
    wind was horrible today. It was such a bad time to go out in a four for the first time in a while. The four we used was also a man's boat. It was HORRIBLE. We were also doing pieces training for the upcoming head races as well and at some points the wind was so strong we weren't moving at all and our cox isn't all that experienced so we nearly crashed and some coxes were being arses and I was at bow and not used to the boat and everything was going wrong and i drew blood by hitting my hand on a screw at the side of the boat and now my hand is bandaged and ARGH.

*whine*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Shame, are you going to do the City of Bristol Head on the 20th Feb? I'll be there in my single

Though I couldn't get out in it this morning due to the wind Boo!
    I'm not sure. I think the next head we are going to is Worcester Head? Just getting ready to go to the boathouse. Re-rigging our boats inthe rain then doing a 5k at race pace on the water. Atleast it's not on the ergs ^^

ReputationRep:

I remember my first race, even got a vid of it. But it should never see the light of day. Just remember that my forearms were in absolute agony.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this will work, and highly embarrassing, but this is my very first ever competition - the Durham Colleges Novice Cup back in 2004!

I'm in the boat dressed in blue on the far side. Believe it or not, we won. Hah!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=666731772633

PS. I have to add that I have improved since then, proof from Henley qualifiers last summer, sitting at bow steering a coxless four:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr3Wnpmc4-k#t=3m32s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    PS. I have to add that I have improved since then, proof from Henley qualifiers last summer, sitting at bow steering a coxless four:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr3Wnpmc4-k#t=3m32s
    I actually crap my pants when I see people rowing like that (i.e. with such speed) - it may be b/c I have yet to go on my first race, but the fear of rowing in a race context and at that speed moreover, would make me so scared of not catching a crab and making sure I row in time with the others on the boat. I would concentrate on my technique SO much so as not to mess up, that I probably would end up messing things up LOL.

I'd love to row like that eventually (I haven't been able to see your first video as FB is not accessible where I'm connected to the internetz unfortunately)

ReputationRep:
    I love the novice video. Ours were awful as well, I think one of mine is posted a few pages down :p:

Henley qualifier video is good. I love seeing really good rowing, I think it's easy to learn a lot from it. I've grown to hate bow though after today, the seat was so narrow that every time the boat rocked because of the wind I'd hit both knuckles on the side.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.