Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave_Beeston)

Anyone else have problems with fitness when they first started?
    Yes.

And to make it worse, if you take any significant amount of time off rowing (a few months) your erg times will take a severe hit.

The good news?

Firstly, the negativity is all in your mind. Yes your erg scores may be crap, but you have to realise that that's natural and the only way they're going to get better is for you to continue training. Do you think Usain Bolt got out of bed one morning and sprinted down the road in a world record breaking time? Unlikely. Train, train, and train some more and you will start seeing those times drop like mad.

Secondly, as I mentioned taking any breaks from rowing, when you come back you'll notice your erg times will have gotten a bit worse. It takes even less time to get these back up, but I see a lot of people (myself included) being incredibly disheartened when they come back to rowing and their erg scores are much worse. Two weeks of regular training will see them back to a regular level.

Anyway you're about to hit a good part of rowing training - where the erg times keep dropping.

It's no more fun when you start to hit the limit that you can reasonably achieve (without taking training to another level) and your erg scores plateau! Believe me, that's annoying!

ReputationRep:
    Argh. Two extremely hard erg days, broke down today. Had 6 x 500m yesterday, only managed to do 5 with an average of 1:43.7 (but that's due to me starting with a 1:48 to see what my pace would like) as I ran out of time and then had 20 minutes to walk to Porthill (my house), get changed, CHUNDER, and then go do chemistry coursework :P

5k Full Pressure today, and I've never done a big test like that before, nor a 2k (properly). Got 20:53 which i'm ******* disappointed with, because I stopped like 4 times. Had a very long chat with one of the rowing coaches and just broke down :/ but he said I just have t o be aware it's a tough sport and some of these guys have been rowing for over 3 years now and that I can't just expect to be as good as 2nd/1st VIII standard after 4 months of rowing. Bah, rant over...

Anyone else have problems with fitness when they first started?
    If you can do 1:43.7 for 5X500 then a sub 7 is definitely in sight, no problems. 5ks are a different beast, tests you mentally more than physically. Youve just got to realise the body is a pretty amazing thing and it can keep going even if the mind is really ****ed. Just don't let your brain take over and tell you better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    If you can do 1:43.7 for 5X500 then a sub 7 is definitely in sight, no problems. 5ks are a different beast, tests you mentally more than physically. Youve just got to realise the body is a pretty amazing thing and it can keep going even if the mind is really ****ed. Just don't let your brain take over and tell you better.
    Thanks for that, yeh I guess a lot of it is mental on an erg. I'm gonna try to another 6 x 500 on Sunday and try get an average closer to 1:40 :P atleast I know what sort of pace I should be at now. What sort of 2k do you get in relation to your 500m time?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that, yeh I guess a lot of it is mental on an erg. I'm gonna try to another 6 x 500 on Sunday and try get an average closer to 1:40 :P atleast I know what sort of pace I should be at now. What sort of 2k do you get in relation to your 500m time?
    Depends how long the rests are. If they're one minute long then I pull about the same split as with my 2k. If they're 3 mins then itd be 2k-2 or 3ish for splits.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the lads from uni are doing a eurotrip this summer.

I'm meeting them in Italy and going to Slovenia with them. Could possibly be in Bled at some point.

I wonder if I'd be able to get a hold of a single for mornings on the WC course...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else get lower back pain more frequently from rowing? I've had problems with my hips before (one displaced during a head race last year, we still won though ) but I've not had much of an issue with this until now. Pain is around the part nearest the pelvis (so quite possibly the lower lumbar/sacral region for those who know their anatomy of the spine). It doesn't happen much when rowing so I'm not sure it's about my technique, more during the time when I'm not rowing.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, just wondered what the best way to prepare for a 2k is? ive got my first one on wednesday and i am really scared! i have been training quite a lot, but in terms of on the day what is best to do, eat before or not, how much should you warm up, how do you get yourself in the right frame of mind etc etc

also, what sort of time should a novice girl expect on a first 2k?

thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoria13)
    hey guys, just wondered what the best way to prepare for a 2k is? ive got my first one on wednesday and i am really scared! i have been training quite a lot, but in terms of on the day what is best to do, eat before or not, how much should you warm up, how do you get yourself in the right frame of mind etc etc

thanks x
    Prepare for it mentally. Have a plan and try to stick to it.

Eat the night before, eat on the day, but not too soon before the 2k. Otherwise you will chunder.

Do a light warm up so that you have the blood flowing already, rather than just going from cold, which could result in you pulling a muscle or cramping up.

ReputationRep:

thanks x
    I'm hardly the best to give advice but i'll give it a go

Firstly, exactly what Tabris said! That's really what you should do. Really as you've not done one before, i'd just aim for an 8 minute time. How old are you? Apparently the WJ17 record is around 7:20, so as you're a novice anything under 8 minutes would be good.

Best bit of advice would be to pace yourself. As you're aiming for an 8 minute 2k, you want to keep your split at 2:00/500m. Sit at that for the first 1k, then if you're not feeling it too much take your split down to 1:59. Do that for 500m, then when you get to 1500m take it down to 1:58 if you can. At 1750m, take it to 1:57. Then for the last 100m use everything you have, you're going to be tired so just make sure you get length in your strokes

My 2k time isn't great, so i've not got the best experience but what i've said above is what my coaches told me (literally the same, except starting at 1:50 ) Oh and remember, as i've had someone say on here: your body is a pretty remarkable thing, erg's are mainly in your head. You can keep going for longer than you think, so as long as you pace yourself you'll be fine! Finally, don't stop until you pass out chundering is a rookie mistake, just keep going and enjoy the feeling of falling over haha!

Hope that helps! x

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and about 5 foot 6 or 7 and only recently did I hit the under 8 minute mark for my 2k and that was good for someone of my size/weight and I don't train a huge amount (I am part of a fairly relaxed medical school club). Under 8 minutes is pretty good, though I know a lot of our novice girls get nowhere near that mark so don't beat yourself up if you don't.

ReputationRep:

thanks x
    the 8 mins is quite unrealistic for a novice, unless you're already v fit. we get our novices to go for between 8.30 and 9mins. really depends on your build and fitness level - if you could give some idea of this then we might be able to help more. otherwise you'll go off at a 2min split and die halfway through, which is pointless pain - better to finish!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm hardly the best to give advice but i'll give it a go

Hope that helps! x
    Hmmm, as others have pointed out, sub-8mins for a novice woman is a massive thing to ask! I know some experienced female rowers (obviously not professionals, but club level) who still struggle to get under 8mins.

Also note that Juniors can pull fantastic erg times sometimes due to the fact that they have bounds of energy and stamina and can whip it along at some insanely high stroke rate, so comparing a novice woman's time to a WJ18 (even though they may be the same age) is not the best idea.

In terms of what to aim for, what sort of training on ergs have you done? If you've done any 10min/20min ergs then just take what your best average split was for that, aim a couple of seconds lower, and try to hold it.

If you feel like you have to give up half way through, that's natural, either tell yourself to keep going (it's all in your head!) OR if you really feel dead, drop the rate a tad and take the split down a little but DO NOT STOP! You'll only realise a few seconds later that you could've continued, just take it down a little and hold it there

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Oh thank god! When it was said that 8min is an aim time for a novice I started to doubt myself and began to think I was actually wasting my time with this rowing malarky considering how long it took me to get a sub 8min. I'm not sure I could pull it off now with the bad diet and lack of exercise resulting from exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Oh thank god! When it was said that 8min is an aim time for a novice I started to doubt myself and began to think I was actually wasting my time with this rowing malarky considering how long it took me to get a sub 8min. I'm not sure I could pull it off now with the bad diet and lack of exercise resulting from exams.
    Sowwy for the misinforming! I did say that I wasn't the best to take advice from

ReputationRep:
    Sowwy for the misinforming! I did say that I wasn't the best to take advice from
    Haha no it's not your fault, I just got a bit confused.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks guys that helps a lot.... im 19, 5'10, and reasonably fit but not super fit, have been training doing 4x500m etc and generally getting around 2.05-2.10 splits...i think i am gonna aim for 8.30 and see what happens, although i am more worried about my mental ability to cope rather than he physical ability!

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks guys that helps a lot.... im 19, 5'10, and reasonably fit but not super fit, have been training doing 4x500m etc and generally getting around 2.05-2.10 splits...i think i am gonna aim for 8.30 and see what happens, although i am more worried about my mental ability to cope rather than he physical ability!
    you sound roughly like me in terms of erg power, i get about 2.03 for 6x500 and my 2k split is about 2.09, but after having a year off i'm better at the shorter work than long ergs, so your fitness will certainly help you. as it's your 1st 2k i would suggest a 2.10 split for the first 1km, to set up a nice base, then 1000-1500 is when it's really tough, aim to consolidate on your stroke and think about technique (make sure you're using the full slide, really slamming the heels down and pointing your toes at the finish to keep that connection, remembering to have a nice strong catch). then for the last 500m you start emptying out, try and take the split down 1s per 100m, and for the last 100m you give it absolutely everything and should fall nice off the erg onto the floor and lie there for a while at the end!
    a tip is to make sure that your first 15ish strokes are at a lower split than your target, so that you can get your average split to your target (it takes a while to get the momentum going and the wheel turning) and then mentally "lengthen", as if you were in a boat doing a start. think about controlling the slide and stroke length. don't be tempted to go off too fast, or you will die
    are you doing it on your own or with your crew? always try and have someone there to shout at you, it really helps. if you can't get a rower or a cox, just anyone who will tell you to keep going
    good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elin89)
    you sound roughly like me in terms of erg power, i get about 2.03 for 6x500 and my 2k split is about 2.09, but after having a year off i'm better at the shorter work than long ergs, so your fitness will certainly help you. as it's your 1st 2k i would suggest a 2.10 split for the first 1km, to set up a nice base, then 1000-1500 is when it's really tough, aim to consolidate on your stroke and think about technique (make sure you're using the full slide, really slamming the heels down and pointing your toes at the finish to keep that connection, remembering to have a nice strong catch). then for the last 500m you start emptying out, try and take the split down 1s per 100m, and for the last 100m you give it absolutely everything and should fall nice off the erg onto the floor and lie there for a while at the end!
    a tip is to make sure that your first 15ish strokes are at a lower split than your target, so that you can get your average split to your target (it takes a while to get the momentum going and the wheel turning) and then mentally "lengthen", as if you were in a boat doing a start. think about controlling the slide and stroke length. don't be tempted to go off too fast, or you will die
    are you doing it on your own or with your crew? always try and have someone there to shout at you, it really helps. if you can't get a rower or a cox, just anyone who will tell you to keep going
    good luck!!
    hey thanks so much, i think that will really help me. yeah there are going to be plenty of people there to encourage, because the novice development guy is using this to reshuffle the crews. I think we are doing it 8 at a time which should get a bit of competition going. i feel a lot more confident now! x

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of falling off the erg at the end, sometimes I fall off the seat during the actual erg/water session. It doesn't happen often, and definitely not in races or anything so not a huge problem, but occurs when I'm really forcing the power down with my legs. Generally I just fall back onto my seat with the momentum but there will be some air time. I'm not sure which area of my technique to target to stop this happening completely. Any enlightenment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    Speaking of falling off the erg at the end, sometimes I fall off the seat during the actual erg/water session. It doesn't happen often, and definitely not in races or anything so not a huge problem, but occurs when I'm really forcing the power down with my legs. Generally I just fall back onto my seat with the momentum but there will be some air time. I'm not sure which area of my technique to target to stop this happening completely. Any enlightenment?
    I'm not sure why in the erg, but maybe in the water this is what's happening. You need to adjust the leg slider so that when you fully extend your legs, and you put your blade out, it is parallel to the rigger. If the foot holder is to close to you, then you can end up pushing yourself off the back of the seat if it is too far away, then there's a slim chance you'll fall off at the front of the seat.

Just try adjusting and see whether it happens again? Maybe during a race you're not taking full length strokes because of the rating which would stop that from happening. Hope that helps! x

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.