The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dobbs
Hey, I'm at Bristol Uni doing a PGCE though I don't row with the uni club as I'm far too busy with teaching and lesson planning and everything else that comes with learning to be a teacher ha!

However I do know a bit about the club as I did some research and spoke to them too. The club is pretty good and I think they're getting a lot better, their head coach is from New Zealand and I've heard some great things about him; last year they got one of their men's crews to the finals of Henley which is a big achievement.

I'm not sure about their womens squad, but I would expect them to be pretty good, perhaps take a look at some results from BUCs and things like that if you're really interested?

Hope that helps a bit :smile:

Also, expect university training to be a big commitment, if it's anything like other universities you'll be training nearly every day of the week! Oh though at Bristol I do know that evenings are ergos/gym sessions and water sessions are only on Sat/Sun morning as the rowing club is about a 30-minute drive east of the city.

Do you know how many crews they have? I'm putting Bristol down as a uni choice, and I thought that I was only going to have a chance at Uni Rowing at Liverpool and Cambridge so another Uni doing it is awesome :biggrin: anyone know about the RVC in London?
Original post by Dave_Beeston
Do you know how many crews they have? I'm putting Bristol down as a uni choice, and I thought that I was only going to have a chance at Uni Rowing at Liverpool and Cambridge so another Uni doing it is awesome :biggrin: anyone know about the RVC in London?

RVC are OK. Not great compared to some clubs, as we all row in a league called united hospitals. We train twice a week as we don't have time for anything else, and we compete against other teams in that league, as it is the only way we can be competitive. RVC are definitely not one of the best teams from our league, if you want to be very competitive that is. University of London, however, are very good and depending on what you want when you get to university, you should consider them. The united hospitals league is an awful lot of fun and I would miss it so much if I went to join University of London, as we have a lot of races which we have a good chance of winning and we have a lot of socials together where we integrate with the other boat clubs (for example, I managed to meet JordanCaroll from this forum himself at one point :p: ) but it depends on the person entirely.
Original post by Jessaay!
RVC are OK. Not great compared to some clubs, as we all row in a league called united hospitals. We train twice a week as we don't have time for anything else, and we compete against other teams in that league, as it is the only way we can be competitive. RVC are definitely not one of the best teams from our league, if you want to be very competitive that is. University of London, however, are very good and depending on what you want when you get to university, you should consider them. The united hospitals league is an awful lot of fun and I would miss it so much if I went to join University of London, as we have a lot of races which we have a good chance of winning and we have a lot of socials together where we integrate with the other boat clubs (for example, I managed to meet JordanCaroll from this forum himself at one point :p: ) but it depends on the person entirely.

Wow, I didn't realise that the RVC rowed! That's awesome, alll 4 of my Uni Choices for 2012 have some sort of rowing club. Unfortunatley UCL doesn't do Veterinary Science so that's out of the question for me :smile: Thanks though! I'm hoping the socials will be good wherever I go tbh :P
Original post by dobbs
Hey, I'm at Bristol Uni doing a PGCE though I don't row with the uni club as I'm far too busy with teaching and lesson planning and everything else that comes with learning to be a teacher ha!

However I do know a bit about the club as I did some research and spoke to them too. The club is pretty good and I think they're getting a lot better, their head coach is from New Zealand and I've heard some great things about him; last year they got one of their men's crews to the finals of Henley which is a big achievement.

I'm not sure about their womens squad, but I would expect them to be pretty good, perhaps take a look at some results from BUCs and things like that if you're really interested?

Hope that helps a bit :smile:

Also, expect university training to be a big commitment, if it's anything like other universities you'll be training nearly every day of the week! Oh though at Bristol I do know that evenings are ergos/gym sessions and water sessions are only on Sat/Sun morning as the rowing club is about a 30-minute drive east of the city.

Thank you, I was honestly not expecting such a helpful reply! That sounds really good, especially that one of the men's crews got to the finals of Henley. I've looked on the BUCs and Bristol crews seem to be ranking frequently in the BUCs regattas.

I haven't really taken rowing that seriously for a while, due to lack of time/motivation. I am kind of taking a break from competing at the moment, but I would very much like to step it up again when I go to uni.
Reply 844
Original post by Supernovae
Thank you, I was honestly not expecting such a helpful reply! That sounds really good, especially that one of the men's crews got to the finals of Henley. I've looked on the BUCs and Bristol crews seem to be ranking frequently in the BUCs regattas.

I haven't really taken rowing that seriously for a while, due to lack of time/motivation. I am kind of taking a break from competing at the moment, but I would very much like to step it up again when I go to uni.

There is always the possibility for rowing at club level, rather than academic. I row at City of Bristol RC, and because my course is so full on I don't have time to commit to proper squad training so I'm just doing some sculling on my own at the weekends, and gym work where I can fit it in.

It's right on the docks in Bristol too so easily accessible.

Of course, I'd say if you have the time and commitment then definitely go for Bristol Uni as you should achieve more with them :smile:
Original post by dobbs
There is always the possibility for rowing at club level, rather than academic. I row at City of Bristol RC, and because my course is so full on I don't have time to commit to proper squad training so I'm just doing some sculling on my own at the weekends, and gym work where I can fit it in.

It's right on the docks in Bristol too so easily accessible.

Of course, I'd say if you have the time and commitment then definitely go for Bristol Uni as you should achieve more with them :smile:

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated :smile: I've just realized that you used to row at Tyne. I row at Tees at the moment.
Reply 846
Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated :smile: I've just realized that you used to row at Tyne. I row at Tees at the moment.

Yep I rowed at Tyne for a few years, been down to Tees plenty of times so have probably seen you around before haha :smile: However I dislike going to Tees events because I get so jealous of your amazing clubhouse facilities :frown:
WeHoRR anyone? (I recognise there's a relatively small proportion of female rowers on this thread :frown: )
aaaaaaaaaaaargggghhhhh so annoyed!!! they just reset all the crews like 3 weeks ago, and now one girls in my crew decides to tell us she is having an operation on her knee after easter, so wont be able to row for 9 months, and she has known about it for ages!!! so now we are at risk of getting a person from the botton crew who did her 2k in like 10 mins when the rest of us were sub 8.30..... NOT IMPRESSED

/rant
Reply 849
WeHoRR anyone? (I recognise there's a relatively small proportion of female rowers on this thread :frown: )

yes!! so very very excited!!
Original post by victoria13
aaaaaaaaaaaargggghhhhh so annoyed!!! they just reset all the crews like 3 weeks ago, and now one girls in my crew decides to tell us she is having an operation on her knee after easter, so wont be able to row for 9 months, and she has known about it for ages!!! so now we are at risk of getting a person from the botton crew who did her 2k in like 10 mins when the rest of us were sub 8.30..... NOT IMPRESSED

/rant

that sucks! surely the logical thing is to promote someone from the boat directly below?? that is how squad training usually works.....
Reply 850

Wish I could go along to support my current and previous clubs but am on a coaching course all day :frown: Good luck! :smile:

/rant

Don't always dismiss them like that, they may be at 10mins at the moment but the motivation of being put in the first crew could make them train harder. In fact, she sould feel like she HAS to to sort of justify her place, if not THEN you can have a rant, but I've seen people come up from the 'dregs' and had their chance to shine, and really have.

Support her, make sure she's doing the correct training, and ensure she's getting the right coaching for her technique to get up to scratch. Positive attitudes :wink:
Original post by dobbs
Wish I could go along to support my current and previous clubs but am on a coaching course all day :frown: Good luck! :smile:

Thanks! :smile: We'll need it. The first boat don't see us as a crew in our own right and always take our best rowers for their boat if someone can't make a race. Which isn't how our boat club should work, even though it's how most work, and we're all annoyed about it. One girl isn't rowing because she has an appointment at the hairdressers (yep, we were like wtf too) and so we're rowing with someone crap at stroke (who doesn't seem to understand the concept of a ratio) and with two novices. I had to tape my hand the other day, which I never do, just because of a bad cut I got from knocking my hand repeatedly because of the bad balance.

*grumbles*
Original post by dobbs

Are you coming down on Thursday? School's Head! ;D

Thanks! :smile: We'll need it. The first boat don't see us as a crew in our own right and always take our best rowers for their boat if someone can't make a race. Which isn't how our boat club should work, even though it's how most work, and we're all annoyed about it. One girl isn't rowing because she has an appointment at the hairdressers (yep, we were like wtf too) and so we're rowing with someone crap at stroke (who doesn't seem to understand the concept of a ratio) and with two novices. I had to tape my hand the other day, which I never do, just because of a bad cut I got from knocking my hand repeatedly because of the bad balance.

*grumbles*

Oh I know how badly you feel! We had an outing on Wednesday and there was NO ratio at all. Was literally up in a second, down in a second. That meant the balance was terrible, and my handle was constantly on the side of the boat!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 853

*grumbles*

only the top crews ever go to WeHORR with the very best crew combination they could possibly find - everyone loses rowers all the time so don't worry! we have the opposite problem to you this time, as have a sub with points, so we have to move up a category :s-smilie: but we still have 3 novices, so it kind of balances out. and in total only 2 of our 8 has rowed WeHORR before, cox hasn't coxed it either...... but so excited anyway!

I would disagree, if you need a sub, you take them from the boat below, as that causes the least disruption and gives that person a chance to row up, which is really useful for squad development. especially if you are periodically resetting crews. Yes it is annoying, believe me I've been there, but wrecking it completely for the 1st boat by putting a rubbish person in is stupid when you can move someone up who is only one boat below. usually if you only go up one boat you learn very quickly by having better people around you. if you go up more then you have no idea what you are doing, which makes you panic and wrecks everything even more.

oh, and a tip if you're the forgotten-about boat - enter and win a preliminary race another race that your club can't really afford for you to be in because they don't have enough boats and don't do anything about because they think you won't get through to it in the first place. It really annoys them and makes them feel guilty for abandoning you :biggrin:

edit: why on earth are you putting a sub at stroke??? surely you put 6 there?? or anyone that knows your boat
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by elin89

I would disagree, if you need a sub, you take them from the boat below, as that causes the least disruption and gives that person a chance to row up, which is really useful for squad development. especially if you are periodically resetting crews. Yes it is annoying, believe me I've been there, but wrecking it completely for the 1st boat by putting a rubbish person in is stupid when you can move someone up who is only one boat below. usually if you only go up one boat you learn very quickly by having better people around you. if you go up more then you have no idea what you are doing, which makes you panic and wrecks everything even more.

The girl at stroke isn't a sub. She's just not very good and hasn't been stroking for long :p:

And I wouldn't have a problem with them using people from our boat, if our boat club didn't work in the way it does. We're not particularly competitive meaning that our 1st and 2nd 8 are generally very similar in standard, other than a few of the 1sts who are very good. We came 20 seconds behind them in our last head race, which we shouldn't have done really considering they are much taller, get 2 coaches and we, usually, get 0 (yes, I don't get why they need 2 either), we have a novice cox and they also have one of the newest boats in the boat club and we have a really old, ridiculously heavy man's boat. We're basically the club's supernumerary team and the one person subbing for the 1sts won't get much beneficial experience from subbing for them as they've only been training with them for a matter of days. The thing we were most annoyed about, though, is the fact that if they couldn't find subs for our team, they'd have not entered us in WeHoRR. As I said, our boat club isn't particularly competitive and the fact is they could have taken someone other than our stroke to sub in for them so we'd all have a chance at doing ok in the race, rather than treating us like we didn't matter.
Original post by dobbs
Yep I rowed at Tyne for a few years, been down to Tees plenty of times so have probably seen you around before haha :smile: However I dislike going to Tees events because I get so jealous of your amazing clubhouse facilities :frown:

Haha yes I do love our boathouse. I don't think I've ever actually been to Tyne, the juniors don't really tend to go there. Although I have competed against Tyne crews on plenty of occasions.
Reply 856
So I just got an offer for Durham to do medicine, providing I get a 2:1.

So, all I can say for now is (I bet I don't get a 2:1), but.... YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, DURHAM.

Bringing some blue star love to the river tees...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 857
Haha yes I do love our boathouse. I don't think I've ever actually been to Tyne, the juniors don't really tend to go there. Although I have competed against Tyne crews on plenty of occasions.

Only because you're too scared of the big bad River Tyne :wink: haha

Original post by Dave_Beeston
Are you coming down on Thursday? School's Head! ;D

Why would I drive all the way from Bristol to London for a race I won't know anyone in? Ha! So, no, funnily enough, I'm not :tongue:
Original post by Tabris
So I just got an offer for Durham to do medicine, providing I get a 2:1.

So, all I can say for now is (I bet I don't get a 2:1), but.... YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, DURHAM.

Bringing some blue star love to the river tees...

Stockton campus?
Reply 859

Stockton campus?

Aye.

Quick Reply

Latest