The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Goldie: Bow Sasha Kasas 2 Jamie Logie 3 James Strawson 4 Andrew Viquerat 5 Alex Ross 6 Ben Evans 7 Josh Pendry Str Nick Edelman
Reply 901
Just comparing this years footage to last year's.

I know the cameras on the boats were supposed to have malfunctioned last year so that you didn't get an in-boat view apart from the beginning, but hearing the coxes make their calls really adds so much more to the race compared to last years... even if the race wasn't as good imo.
I felt so bad for the Cambridge crew. Clearly oxford were miles better but if you train that hard for so long and then you have your entire university putting their hopes on you, losing by so much is bound to feel **** :p:
How many lengths were they deemed to have lost by in the end?
Original post by Jessaay!
How many lengths were they deemed to have lost by in the end?

I think it was 4?
Reply 905
it was officially classed as 'easily', but yes, 4 lengths

in other news - blondie vs osiris - lots of drama there!! osiris disqualified!!
(edited 13 years ago)
so i just did my first proper 5k... not very pleased.... 23.20... any tips on how to improve my time?
Original post by victoria13
so i just did my first proper 5k... not very pleased.... 23.20... any tips on how to improve my time?

Keep at it. Don't get disheartened, I know it's hard but believe me I know exactly how you feel.

Just by doing 2 weeks of an A1 (6k / 26 minutes on the Ergo, lowest resistance, low pressure) each day, I managed to lower my 5k time by over a minute! Have you done any other big distance pieces before? I suggest you do some "A1" ergos a few times a week!

I don't want to sound like a hypocrite, but you have to realise rowing's a hard sport and it takes time :smile: I'm still disappointed that I've not got a sub 7:20 2k time, but I know that it comes with training :smile:
Reply 908
Original post by victoria13

What Dave said above - it all takes time and you always hear how hard rowing is mentally, well that's not just during ergs/pieces/training, it's just generally too. It's such a demanding sport and it takes a while for your body to get used to what you're asking it to do.

23 minutes for a girl's first 5k piece I would say is quite a common place to be really, how did it compare to others in your squad?

It will come, believe me :smile:
Reply 909
Watching the boat race has made me realise how much I miss rowing :moon:. Dobbs do you know what the DU rowing is like for those who aren't at the top? College rowing was so cliquey it was annoying and only our first mens boat ever row so there'd be no chance of me doing anything with them :nothing:.
Original post by Mithra
Watching the boat race has made me realise how much I miss rowing :moon:. Dobbs do you know what the DU rowing is like for those who aren't at the top? College rowing was so cliquey it was annoying and only our first mens boat ever row so there'd be no chance of me doing anything with them :nothing:.

i like this because although i row i am graduating this summer and will be leaving my boat club...boats, coaches and friends all behind and i swear i'll have such a dull life! how lame is that :colondollar:
the boat race was amazing though. as an oxford fan i was thrilled, and ben at 4 started rowing at my uni so i know him and it was great to see them win after last year. history repeating itself but in reverse!
also, i was lucky enough to get to go to the boat race dinner and the atmosphere in the oxford room was electric.
cant imagine how great it felt but i do know when i race and it goes well (of course) i realise why i row and i know itll be hard to give up!

row with a club... doesnt need to be your college. where you at?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 911
Original post by Mithra

Not particularly sure to be honest, I think you may not have to be "at the top" but your commitment will have to be there. So as long as you're willing to put in the work, then they should accept you.

Otherwise why not join Durham ARC? They take on students quite happily and will be far more relaxed :smile:
Reply 912
Well, I got rejected from Imperial.

So it looks like I'm going to be rowing down for one of the Queen's Campus colleges or Tees next year.

If I get the grades.

May look into the possibility of rowing DUBC (North East Judas concept), but it's doubtful since Stockton is way away.

But I wouldn't mind some Palatinate Lavender lycra.
(edited 13 years ago)
Good luck people racing today.
Reply 914
IC III winning the IM3 pennant above the IM2 pennant winners?

Mental.

Unless it was one of IC's non-uni crews.
Reply 915
Now that my beast of a teaching placement has finished and I am now (relatively) free for 3 weeks (barring 2 assignments, job applications, interviews, going home for a few days, and attending a teaching conference) I am getting back onto the fitness.

Just cracked out a 10k erg at the gym, wow did it hurt. Not saying what my time was, but it was more than 40mins :frown: Must get back into training...quick!
Original post by dobbs
Now that my beast of a teaching placement has finished and I am now (relatively) free for 3 weeks (barring 2 assignments, job applications, interviews, going home for a few days, and attending a teaching conference) I am getting back onto the fitness.

Just cracked out a 10k erg at the gym, wow did it hurt. Not saying what my time was, but it was more than 40mins :frown: Must get back into training...quick!

I've had a week and a half off training due to having my AS Music practical last week and I had to practice for that. Can already feel that my fitness has slipped, and i've got my rowing camp for 2 weeks in just over a week's time!

How long do you reckon a good 10k erg is? Because 40mins I don't think I could do, I reckon I could only do about 26mins at 2:00 split! :P
Reply 917
Original post by Dave_Beeston

How long do you reckon a good 10k erg is? Because 40mins I don't think I could do, I reckon I could only do about 26mins at 2:00 split! :P

Well my PB (remember I'm 5'7 and 68kg) for 10k is 38:24 which is an average split of 1:55.2, over a year ago now. I think I could definitely do better once I get back into training as that was well before I was at my peak fitness.

10k's are a lot about experience and knowing how to just settle into a rate. In all honesty once you've done them a few times you really find them quite easy, as you just find your rhythm, get some good music on and just plough through it. The only real negatives are boredom, sore arse, sore fingers/knuckles!

Back when I was training I'd rather do a 10k than a 5k, 2k, or even just 10 x 1mins. Seriously!
Reply 918
Just a quick question; what sort of shape should I aim to be in to be a competent rower at University level?

I'm 20 years old, 5 "8 and 220lbs - obviously I know that sounds fairly hefty for my height but I am built more like a rugby player than anything else (very top heavy) and I carry a lot of muscle for my frame, aswell as some extra timber I plan to lose off my stomach in the summer before I go to uni. At my slimmest when I used to play sunday league football I was about 195lbs; now realistically I think I could get myself down to about 200-205 lbs. The unfortunate thing is the part time job I currently hold is at McDonalds and even Ghandi would have succumbed to the odd double cheeseburger.

I used to row at school so I already have a decent grounding in terms of technique - but that was in gigs and toppers; not full 8 man shells

I'm not aiming to be an olympian but if I am going to get in to rowing I want to be committed and not letting my side down. So what time should I be aiming for on the rowing machine in the gym? i.e. how many minutes to do 2000m etc.
Original post by JoshKSM
-

What Uni?

Between now and Uni work on getting some fat off, its all about power to weight when it comes to the water.

Lots and lots of cardio, long steady state, medium stuff (30/40min erg), and some HITT stuff as well.

As for 2k times, depends what level you are wanting to compete at, but a good Uni rower will be pulling sub 6:30 bare minimum, the fast guys will be doing sub 6:10.

Quick Reply

Latest