Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You know you row when you laugh in the face of people who complain about 9am lectures, because you have a 6.30am outing the next day.

ReputationRep:
    How did HoRR go today, for those who participated?

ReputationRep:
    I stood on the bank by Hammersmith Bridge in the rain watching, made me feel so depressed that I haven't raced there since 2010

Was good to watch it though, as I've never actually just watched it, always been there as a rower or cox. A good experience

I hope that next year I can make a comeback to rowing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    How did HoRR go today, for those who participated?
    Really well, actually 'twas great fun! I'd never coxed on the Tideway before, but it went pretty well: we went up 87 places overall (although we were in the Novice category, so I'm not sure how impressive that was ...).

ReputationRep:
    Down in London and since it's the boat race tomorrow, anyone know a good place to spectate the 30 seconds of the boats passing by?

Anyone watching?

ReputationRep:
    Down in London and since it's the boat race tomorrow, anyone know a good place to spectate the 30 seconds of the boats passing by?

Anyone watching?
    Nope watching on tv. Not very optimistic about Cambridge's chances tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Nope watching on tv. Not very optimistic about Cambridge's chances tbh.
    Yeah. Looking at what I've read about the match-ups they've had, it's looking like they're going to get spanked.

Oxford to take 2 lengths by Hammersmith? Haha.

ReputationRep:

Anyone watching?
    Im gonna be down. Hammersmith would be a good place, its where a lot of decisive stuff plays out.

Ive got my money on Oxford, so they better come good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partoftheweekend)
    Im gonna be down. Hammersmith would be a good place, its where a lot of decisive stuff plays out.

Ive got my money on Oxford, so they better come good!
    Ditto (on the bet).

Cheers as well. I'm picking between Hammersmith or Barnes Bridge. Hammersmith for the reason you said, but Barnes/the finish line so I can see more than the boats pass by.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Most dramatic boat race ever!

ReputationRep:
    Well, ****.

On the bright side, I met Matt Wells in Sainsbury's.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford cox will forever be outcast from Oxford BC hahah! Gutted, she was hot too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Oxford cox will forever be outcast from Oxford BC hahah! Gutted, she was hot too.
    Definite would smash/10.

ReputationRep:
    Definite would smash/10.
    Hah! It's not often I enjoy rowing for the 'hot women', since many (most?) female rowers are of a larger stature (and being a 5'7 lightweight, I do not go for this type).

Female coxes? Yes please

ReputationRep:
    What the **** happened there. Absolutely gutted at that result for all involved. The guy that jumped in the river is pathetic.

Will Zeng (2 seat oxford)
    When I missed your head with my blade I knew only that you were a swimmer, and if you say you are a protester then, no matter what you say your cause may be, your action speaks too loudly for me to hear you. I know, with immediate emotion, exactly what you were protesting. You were protesting the right of seventeen young men and one woman to compete fairly and honorably, to demonstrate their hard work and desire in a proud tradition. You were protesting their right to devote years of their lives, their friendships, and their souls to the fair pursuit of the joys and the hardships of sport. You, who would make a mockery of their dedication and their courage, are a mockery of a man.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Agreed, it was an absolute shambles. Gutted for them all, can't even begin to imagine how they must have felt

ReputationRep:
    Ditto.

Apparently it was a protest against elitism and tyranny? Don't see how interrupting a rowing race will get a point across.

Nobody cares about the reason he protested, just that he ruined the race.

ReputationRep:
    Well, ****.

On the bright side, I met Matt Wells in Sainsbury's.
    Clare Balding tripped down some stairs in front of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christop)
    Clare Balding tripped down some stairs in front of me.
    Top gaff.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...ebrations.html

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.