Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IQ Test)
    I'd heard it's good for rowing actually, along with Durham, Bristol and obviously Oxbridge.

I'm not choosing it based solely on rowing (obviously!) but I did actually check that all the places I'm considering have boat clubs
    I don't think you can really include Bristol in that list. Top rowing universities are essentially:

Oxbridge, UoL, IC, Newcastle, Durham, Brookes in no particular order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Water outings can start from 6.15am here (summer only), although you need to factor in time to get to the boathouse (half an hour or so).

Not that you should be choosing a uni based on rowing alone, but Newcastle is incredible for rowing. I believe they have an ex-GB coach.
    Their coach used to be the assistant coach of the Italian squad.

All I'm gonna say is they have one Henley win in the last 50 years. UL has somewhere between 30 and 40.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

BUCS Photo-finish from my race.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by IQ Test)
    Thanks, that sounds good to me; what time are the water outings usually, as in when do you get up and when do you need to be there by? I get up at 5AM to run twice a week at the moment, so I thought the early starts of rowing would suit my sleep patterns well : )

I'm in lower sixth at the moment so I don't know where I'm going, but if I were to apply today it'd be Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle and Glasgow.
    Wednesday ones are in the afternoon, weekend can be any time from 6 onwards. I believe the seniors do a lot more early morning sessions than the novices though.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing Durham City this weekend? If the River Wear isn't still running too high that is...

ReputationRep:
    I have a little boat and I go rowing all the time in the summer, but I don't do it competitively.

<3 x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Not that you should be choosing a uni based on rowing alone, but Newcastle is incredible for rowing. I believe they have an ex-GB coach.
    I rowed at Newcastle; Angelo was in the coaching system for the Italian women's and junior squads.

Things have really picked up since he became the coach, but like partoftheweekend said, Newcastle does lack the history that a lot of the other top tier uni boat clubs have.

The lavender lot on the Wear have an ex-GB rower as a head coach though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabris)
    I rowed at Newcastle; Angelo was in the coaching system for the Italian women's and junior squads.

Things have really picked up since he became the coach, but like partoftheweekend said, Newcastle does lack the history that a lot of the other top tier uni boat clubs have.

Ah newcastle cool, what sort of 2ks do they pull up there, also what sort of time would you think a fresher should be pulling? cheers, need to know if I should erg a little more before,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah.meh)
    Ah newcastle cool, what sort of 2ks do they pull up there, also what sort of time would you think a fresher should be pulling? cheers, need to know if I should erg a little more before,
    Generally, it was around 6'00-6'20 for the top boat, 2nd VIII was 6'15-6'35 and 3rd VIII and extras was around 6'25-6'45.

As to what time you should be pulling, it depends which boat you want to be in. But you know what they say, ergs don't float and that will differ year by year. You're better served working on your technique than your ergo times.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, it was around 6'00-6'20 for the top boat, 2nd VIII was 6'15-6'35 and 3rd VIII and extras was around 6'25-6'45.

As to what time you should be pulling, it depends which boat you want to be in. But you know what they say, ergs don't float and that will differ year by year. You're better served working on your technique than your ergo times.
    thanks, great post. Helpful to see a rough idea of time differences between boats. Cool, well my current coach is all about technique, seems to be the difference between school and uni rowing, schools boys tend to be technique focus and uni rowers tend to be erg monkeys, well at least in my experience.

ReputationRep:

Palatinate

And yes, Wade Hall-Craggs, one of the best coaches I've ever had the honour of being coached by. He's very no-nonsense, and just one session of him coaching me in a single I improved massively.

He was a good distance away from me in the launch, watching me for only a few strokes, and then shouted "You're tensing your left thigh too much. Stop it." Haha...not sure how he spotted that but it made a difference!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just started reading this thread (didn't know of its existence before). I'm hoping to get back into rowing once I go back to uni for a PhD in 2013, but I was wondering do many PhD students actually row much especially considering outings are on Wednesday afternoons?

ReputationRep:
    Durham City cancelled today. Tres frustrating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    Hey guys, just started reading this thread (didn't know of its existence before). I'm hoping to get back into rowing once I go back to uni for a PhD in 2013, but I was wondering do many PhD students actually row much especially considering outings are on Wednesday afternoons?
    When training is depends on which university you are at, it wont necessarily be on Wednesday afternoons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    When training is depends on which university you are at, it wont necessarily be on Wednesday afternoons.
    Ah right, I was under the impression that bar Oxbridge, unis let their UGs have Wednesdays off specifically for sport, which possibly would pose a problem for postgrads :shrug:. You're right though, I'll just have to wait and see till I'm back.

ReputationRep:

Relevant to partoftheweekend, since I guess he'll be racing for the temple against these guys.

5:44 from yesterday.

ReputationRep:

Relevant to partoftheweekend, since I guess he'll be racing for the temple against these guys.

5:44 from yesterday.
    An interesting load of races this weekend. Really looking forward to seeing Washington Varsity at Henley. If you watch the varsity final at pac 10 the Stanford crew are rigged SSBBBBSS. Cant see how that'd be comfortable to row in!?

Harvard freshmen did a 6:02 into a headwind as well... Washington freshmen already done a 5:38 too :s

Not sure what I'm doing at Henley yet either...

ReputationRep:
    I used to row for "Sons of the Thames" club last year, but quit because of the uni. When I was choosing the uni I wanted it to have a rowing club so my choices were Greenwich or Kingston. And I went for Greenwich , but I didn't know that they dont even have a rowing team. The only thing thay had was a rowing club that is next to Uni. My attempts to form a new rowing club were unsuccessful, because of the lack of interset from my peers and unsupportive student union.

So can I join a rowing club of any other university? I just wanna row with my peers and not in 25-40 age group if you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ioNonSono)
    I used to row for "Sons of the Thames" club last year, but quit because of the uni. When I was choosing the uni I wanted it to have a rowing club so my choices were Greenwich or Kingston. And I went for Greenwich , but I didn't know that they dont even have a rowing team. The only thing thay had was a rowing club that is next to Uni. My attempts to form a new rowing club were unsuccessful, because of the lack of interset from my peers and unsupportive student union.

So can I join a rowing club of any other university? I just wanna row with my peers and not in 25-40 age group if you know what I mean.
    It's fairly common for universities to have agreements between themselves where students can join each other's societies (I know Bristol / UWE and Manchester / MMU have this arrangement) or a clause that allows a certain % of a club to be non-students / from other institutions.

However, you may find that it restricts your ability to enter some events - certainly, you won't be able to enter BUCS Head / Regatta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ioNonSono)

at UL there are people who aren't necessarily students at the University of London colleges. Got people at Brunel and UEL who row there. Obviously they cant do BUCS for the club or the student events at Henley.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.