Turn on thread page Beta

What's left to figure out? (about the world/science wise) watch

ReputationRep:
    so in one of my more contemplative moods, I was thinking .. how things seem simple to us right now, education we take for granted

such as the effects of gravity, light is electromagnetic radiation, etc .. etc ..

and just reading about the history of stuff people used to believe in/couldn't figure out, stuff that seems 'so simple' to us and their viewpoints seemed ridiculous [e.g. that sight was down to beams going out from our eyes to the objects]

so what things will we [hopefully] figure out in 10,100,1000+ years that have yet to be fully understood?

can be physics/biology/chemistry/maths

and doesn't have to be anything profound, even something small/minor that puzzles you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    All the millenium problems solved.
    Origin of the universe proven beyond all *reasonable* doubt (I'm looking at you, Creationists)
    Completion of the Standard Model in particle physics (or perhaps it being replaced by something else)

Someone needs to figure out why internet in the UK is so damned slow complared to the rest of Europe too!

ReputationRep:
    I'll add

Dark Matter/Dark Energy (does this count as standard model?)

ReputationRep:
    The Riemann Hypothesis.
    Unification of Relativity with Quantum Mechanics (a quantum theory of gravity).

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of this post when there are clearly an infinite amount of answers.

ReputationRep:
    Forget science..

There are much important questions yet to be answered..

Spoiler:
    Show
    Why do dudes have nipples :yep:
    Why guys like boobs :awesome:
    Why shampoo still burns a gaping hole where my eyes used to be when we've figured out a way to fly at the speed of sound :mad:

ReputationRep:
    So much left. Generally speaking, answering one scientific question will generally generate at least several more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khalaf)
    Forget science..

There are much important questions yet to be answered..

Spoiler:
    Show
    Why do dudes have nipples :yep:
    Why guys like boobs :awesome:
    Why shampoo still burns a gaping hole where my eyes used to be when we've figured out a way to fly at the speed of sound :mad:
    What do you mean yet

Why do dudes have nipples

because we are all born the same before the hormones kick in to give us breasts or balls

ReputationRep:
    why humans insist on inventing increasingly brutal methods of self-destruction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    What do you mean yet

Why do dudes have nipples

because we are all born the same before the hormones kick in to give us breasts or balls
    :top:

Next 2 please

ReputationRep:
    so in one of my more contemplative moods, I was thinking .. how things seem simple to us right now, education we take for granted

such as the effects of gravity, light is electromagnetic radiation, etc .. etc ..

and just reading about the history of stuff people used to believe in/couldn't figure out, stuff that seems 'so simple' to us and their viewpoints seemed ridiculous [e.g. that sight was down to beams going out from our eyes to the objects]

so what things will we [hopefully] figure out in 10,100,1000+ years that have yet to be fully understood?

and doesn't have to be anything profound, even something small/minor that puzzles you
    I thought you were Nigerian?

ReputationRep:
    Are you bloody kidding me??!?!?!?!??!?!?!

We know nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is so much left to learn its pathetic. Every thing we know is a fraction of a fraction of a infintesimally small amount.

ReputationRep:
    The brain still remains as an un-understood complexity.

ReputationRep:
    Solving the hard problem of conciousness will be a good day.

ReputationRep:
    What is left to figure out? I'm not sure. Is there more things to figure out in this world? yes. Our advancement for education is everlasting, until one idiot decides to stop it.

ReputationRep:
    Time travel, the origins of and how to produce life, thought...

ReputationRep:
    There's an absolute ********, synthesising organs etc. Finding the "soul", exploring the sea and much more

ReputationRep:

Optimistically, I'd predict these breakthroughs:

10 years:
    effective applications of the human genome project and stem cell research
    initial findings from the Large Hadron Collider

100 years:
    nuclear fussion as a clean power source
    quantum computing
    genetically engineered humans
    effective treatments for AIDs, cancer, heart disease, Alzheimers etc

1000+ years:
    Discovery of intelligent extra-terrestrial life
    artificial intelligence superior to the human brain
    a completely unified theory of physics
    a complete understanding of cosmology
    maybe even immortality?

Although its unlikely humans will manage to survive 1000+ years without some kind of disaster like global warming, nuclear war, super-viruses killing most of us.

ReputationRep:
    Artificial Intelligence - within our lifetime seems a realistic possibility, but still an unknown
    Human genetic engineering and gene therapy [the two are inherently related but not the same] - rate of advances is increasing hugely, several promising breakthroughs last year, but I can see the religious types kicking up a fuss about improving God's pretty ****** handiwork
    Mass production of carbon nanotubes

More technological, but the fact that we're still only part of the way to understanding how to do or make any of those is some indicator of how far we've got to go on a scientific and technological basis.

ReputationRep:
    "Everything that can be invented has been invented." --Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.