Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's left to figure out? (about the world/science wise) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    time travel, replacement for oil, artificial intelligence that could rival the human brain, using nanotechnology to give us 'super human' biological bodies. There's still plenty, plenty of things we've yet to discover!

ReputationRep:
    why doesn't a ducks quack echo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weirdoooo)
    why doesn't a ducks quack echo?
    It does ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    I am yet to prove P=NP. When I do, everything worth doing will have been done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    I am yet to prove P=NP. When I do, everything worth doing will have been done.
    Let P = 1, N = 1
    P = 0, N= X
    QED

ReputationRep:
    In medicine (to name a few):
    The origins of cancer
    How memories are encoded in synapses
    A large number of conditions that have no known cause (e.g. Parkinson's disease)
    How we age

ReputationRep:
    I'd say fuel is a major area of advancement. If alternative fuels do manage to take off I wouldn't be surprised if 100 years from now civilisation looked back at the fossil fuel times as simple and archaic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatal_Microbes)
    Let P = 1, N = 1
    P = 0, N= X
    QED
    Or just let N = 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    Or just let N = 1
    Was in a rush to demonstrate incompetence, I couldn't fit the exhaustative proof within the text box to contain that particular solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatal_Microbes)
    Was in a rush to demonstrate incompetence, I couldn't fit the exhaustative proof within the text box to contain that particular solution.
    Haha :p:

We are the enlightened. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe one day we will find out why the burgers in the advertisements of MacDonalds never look like the ones you get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignoramus)
    In medicine (to name a few):
    The origins of cancer
    How memories are encoded in synapses
    A large number of conditions that have no known cause (e.g. Parkinson's disease)
    How we age
    We already have some pretty good ideas about why we age ("Oxygen" and "Life Ascending" by Nick Lane do a good job explaining it). Of course they aren't conclusively proven, so you're right to list them as being "undiscovered", but I'd say the essentials are known, and now we only need to continue to uncover some of the more subtle details.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Im sure there will be all sorts of inventions that will be created that we dont need but will make life a lot quicker... and cures for all diseases? Electric cars that really work? An argument that really proves/disproves God's existence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    so in one of my more contemplative moods, I was thinking .. how things seem simple to us right now, education we take for granted

such as the effects of gravity, light is electromagnetic radiation, etc .. etc ..

and just reading about the history of stuff people used to believe in/couldn't figure out, stuff that seems 'so simple' to us and their viewpoints seemed ridiculous [e.g. that sight was down to beams going out from our eyes to the objects]

so what things will we [hopefully] figure out in 10,100,1000+ years that have yet to be fully understood?

can be physics/biology/chemistry/maths

and doesn't have to be anything profound, even something small/minor that puzzles you
    there's still so much to conquer!

We don't have a formula for prime numbers.
    We havn't conquered another planet...let alone our solar system, galaxy, universe.
    Genetics - Being able to regrow tissue...so if you have your arm cut off, you can grow the nerves back which can then be used to control like robotics.
    For that matter - Robotics - We're still struggling to create house robots because of how different all the objects in our houses are and how often they get moved.
    World politics, peace.
    Stem cell growth.
    A renewable energy source.
    Even war machines...we may need to protect ourselves from invasion if there are extraterrestrials after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    All the millenium problems solved.
    Origin of the universe proven beyond all *reasonable* doubt (I'm looking at you, Creationists)
    Completion of the Standard Model in particle physics (or perhaps it being replaced by something else)

Someone needs to figure out why internet in the UK is so damned slow complared to the rest of Europe too!

REPLACE the stardard model, sorry i think i would be so cool if everything we thought we knew about particle physics was wrong, it would make now such a good time to be a physicist!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by .:Emmy:.)
    REPLACE the stardard model, sorry i think i would be so cool if everything we thought we knew about particle physics was wrong, it would make now such a good time to be a physicist!
    Yeah, well...replacing it would be easy but replace it with what????

If we took a string theory approach then it just wouldn't be possible to teach particle physics in schools, even at A Level.

It would be very interesting though. I would like to go into some branch of physics like particle physics because of the vast potential for new discoveries (and getting to mess around with the LHC :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Genetics - Being able to regrow tissue...so if you have your arm cut off, you can grow the nerves back which can then be used to control like robotics.
    For that matter - Robotics - We're still struggling to create house robots because of how different all the objects in our houses are and how often they get moved.
    A renewable energy source.
    we are doing quite well on the re growing/ re wiering of nerves for amputees, its called bionics (scifi i know!) and currently they have got quite far with an arm, and even further with the eye!

as for renewable energy source, We want fusion that needs to be the next biggest discovery, that and everyone to realise that for the time being, fission is the way forward, its so efficient!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Yeah, well...replacing it would be easy but replace it with what????
    No idea! But stardard model is quite flawed and like you say string theory is complex. Maybe we'll make some new quantum leap (no pun intended) in the near future and discover a whole new way of looking at our universe!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by .:Emmy:.)
    No idea! But stardard model is quite flawed and like you say string theory is complex. Maybe we'll make some new quantum leap (no pun intended) in the near future and discover a whole new way of looking at our universe!
    I can't imagine any leaps forward like that for quite some time.
    I'd wait 5-7 years and see if they find the Higgs Boson. If they do then it's quite likely that actually the Standard Model is more or less correct.

Although we still need to find out exactly what Dark Matter is!

ReputationRep:
    I really wanna know how many universes there are.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.