Turn on thread page Beta

What's left to figure out? (about the world/science wise) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    I really wanna know how many universes there are.
    Define uni: A prefix meaning One.

There can only be one by definition!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    We already have some pretty good ideas about why we age ("Oxygen" and "Life Ascending" by Nick Lane do a good job explaining it). Of course they aren't conclusively proven, so you're right to list them as being "undiscovered", but I'd say the essentials are known, and now we only need to continue to uncover some of the more subtle details.
    Thanks for referring me to those books!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatal_Microbes)

Impeccable logic yet again. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I can't imagine any leaps forward like that for quite some time.
    I'd wait 5-7 years and see if they find the Higgs Boson. If they do then it's quite likely that actually the Standard Model is more or less correct.

Although we still need to find out exactly what Dark Matter is!

I personally hope they wont find the higgs boson, i just think a re think would be quite interesting. They aren't doing so well at the moment, but then thats more to do with the machinary and practice rather than the theory.

Dark matter is an interesting thing, do you not think that it may have an effect on the standard model? I just feel there is so much we still don't understand, isn't it a bit early to be announcing we have a standard model for everything. Relatively speaking we having been working on it that long, compared to how long the "problem" has been around.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by .:Emmy:.)
    I personally hope they wont find the higgs boson, i just think a re think would be quite interesting. They aren't doing so well at the moment, but then thats more to do with the machinary and practice rather than the theory.

Dark matter is an interesting thing, do you not think that it may have an effect on the standard model? I just feel there is so much we still don't understand, isn't it a bit early to be announcing we have a standard model for everything. Relatively speaking we having been working on it that long, compared to how long the "problem" has been around.
    I'd be inclined to say that dark matter is just normal matter that we can't see. For example stars clouded by dust, or stars which are simply to faint to detect.
    Or perhaps just dust.
    I don't think it's anything mystical.

It's worth keeping in mind though - everything we think we know about physics is wrong to a certain extent, newton's equations were shown to be wrong by einstein. einstein's equations were shown to wrong on a quantum level. quantum physics still doesn't explain gravity.

All we're doing it getting closer and closer to the "truth", but we may never ever get there.

ReputationRep:
    I want a hoverboard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    All we're doing it getting closer and closer to the "truth", but we may never ever get there.
    And that is why i do physics! Endless possibilities! Plus its FUN!

ReputationRep:

You know what I mean. Outside our one...

ReputationRep:
    Wait. the Chaotic Inflation/bubble universe theory says there can be more then one , no?

ReputationRep:
    I think we still haven't fully been able to explain the Mpemba effect.

ReputationRep:
    The main question to me is ... does God exist?
    They should be able to prove if he doesn't or does?
    That is the biggest thing yet to discover.

ReputationRep:
    You know what I mean. Outside our one...
    According to: http://www.access-jesus.com/god-crea...-universe.html

An undoubtly reliable source.

God only created 1 universe.

So, again, there is only one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:Emmy:.)
    we are doing quite well on the re growing/ re wiering of nerves for amputees, its called bionics (scifi i know!) and currently they have got quite far with an arm, and even further with the eye!

as for renewable energy source, We want fusion that needs to be the next biggest discovery, that and everyone to realise that for the time being, fission is the way forward, its so efficient!
    Yeah ...i saw Edinburgh's stuff on nerve growing...i was like...wow!!

With fission though, i heard there was lots of problems with storing the waste....like its meant to be stored for 10 thousand years(? or a thousand? Something massive) and we're struggling to keep it now....

ReputationRep:
    According to: http://www.access-jesus.com/god-crea...-universe.html

An undoubtly reliable source.

God only created 1 universe.

So, again, there is only one...
    Not funny. Stephen Hawkings on the other hand, says there are possibilities of others exisiting outside our universe.

ReputationRep:
    We still don't understand ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    Not funny. Stephen Hawkings on the other hand, says there are possibilities of others exisiting outside our universe.
    I don't see whats not funny? Everyone knows God created the world around 5000 years ago right?

Hmmmm, who do I trust more, access-jesus.com or a sentient computer?

I guess I'll have to side with Hawking on this one.

Disclaimer: I'm sorry if I have come across as being serious for any part of the duration of this thread. The preceding posts including this one have been a result of random neuron firings and do not reflect my views as a complete organism.

(Original post by Maturity)
    The main question to me is ... does God exist?
    They should be able to prove if he doesn't or does?
    That is the biggest thing yet to discover.
    Erm no, that's ridiculous, you can't prove that something DOESN'T exist. Also why would anyone want to prove something as counter-intuitive as the existence of a deity?

ReputationRep:
    ewe probably know 0.01% of what there is to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    Erm no, that's ridiculous, you can't prove that something DOESN'T exist. Also why would anyone want to prove something as counter-intuitive as the existence of a deity?
    i) I did say prove it does or doesn't exist.
    ii) You can prove something doesn't exist, we can say " burgers eat chips" which we know doesn't exist and we can prove this.
    iii) This is the question that has driven us towards religions etc. this is a very important question for humanity to consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    ewe probably know 0.01% of what there is to know.
    This implies that knowledge is finite...
    Surely knowledge cannot be finite. Becuase it can become knowledge if someone lies for example.
    Say I had 733538732985634 cats. You know that I've said that, but you would also know that I have the potential to say any number in that place. Any number I say in this reference frame would lead to another set of actions, implying different entities have different perceptions and 'knowledge'

So retrospectively, we know little more than absolutely nothing.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.