Turn on thread page Beta

Summer holiday too many choices, help me decide! watch

too many options for this summer after a level exams dont know what to do:

1. Get a job
    i need the money and the experience added

2. holiday
    a) one group of friends, greece quite expensive 1 week fixed organised
    b) another group of friends cyprus cheaper, flexible time and length of holiday i have more say in this, but i'd rather do a)
    c) family want to go away too, but i can get out of this easily so this isn't a problem
    d) just have fun here home go out and maybe go somewhere in the UK but this can be done any time whenever another year also

can do one of a b c only

3. work experience
    i have 2 work experiences ready and they are very good for my future career choice and in good companies, slightly rare opportunity, dates unsure so i could in theory tell them when i'm free, but then if i get a job then i might have to take the job since the experiences are unpaid and i need the money!
    __

importance
    job - money
    experience - rare opportunity
    holiday - all friends going dont wanna be left out

yes i should go for the most important, job, but if i dont get a job then i'll be doing nothing at all and i'll have let the holiday opportunity slip! and i cannot tell work experience yes just yet because i haven't found a job so incase i dont get a job atleast i can go and get that experience..

any help appreciated!
    any help trying to do all 3 appreciated too!!

(will reply to all posts eventually)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    too many options for this summer after a level exams dont know what to do:

1. Get a job
    i need the money and the experience added

2. holiday
    a) one group of friends, greece quite expensive 1 week fixed organised
    b) another group of friends cyprus cheaper, flexible time and length of holiday i have more say in this, but i'd rather do a)
    c) family want to go away too, but i can get out of this easily so this isn't a problem
    d) just have fun here home go out and maybe go somewhere in the UK but this can be done any time whenever another year also

can do one of a b c only

3. work experience
    i have 2 work experiences ready and they are very good for my future career choice and in good companies, slightly rare opportunity, dates unsure so i could in theory tell them when i'm free, but then if i get a job then i might have to take the job since the experiences are unpaid and i need the money!
    __

importance
    job - money
    experience - rare opportunity
    holiday - all friends going dont wanna be left out

yes i should go for the most important, job, but if i dont get a job then i'll be doing nothing at all and i'll have let the holiday opportunity slip! and i cannot tell work experience yes just yet because i haven't found a job so incase i dont get a job atleast i can go and get that experience..

any help appreciated!
    any help trying to do all 3 appreciated too!!

(will reply to all posts eventually)
    Id take the work experiences either at the start of the summer or end, work after or before and fix down either family holiday or a (obviously already planned so easier) and during job applications or interviews say that time is booked and you need it off, non negotiable. And btw you need to seriously look for summer jobs now.

(Original post by Jennie1987)
    Id take the work experiences either at the start of the summer or end, work after or before and fix down either family holiday or a (obviously already planned so easier) and during job applications or interviews say that time is booked and you need it off, non negotiable. And btw you need to seriously look for summer jobs now.
    yeah i'll book them at the times when im free then, september or start in july
    yeah im on the summer job looking thing now, gonna be tough!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    yeah i'll book them at the times when im free then, september or start in july
    yeah im on the summer job looking thing now, gonna be tough!
    thanks
    Thats alright seems simple to fit it all in if you can get them in september/july and your chosen holiday isnt at the beginning of when you start a job as thats usually least when theyll let you have time off.

ReputationRep:
    This all depends on how badly you need the money. If doing the paid job is vitally important to your survival, I don't really see how you could even consider the unpaid work, not to mention the holidays, as options.

I'd go for the work experience if it will help benefit your future career. This in turn can help you increase future income (assuming you're aiming for a career in an industry that pays decently) and thereby enable you to take more awesome vacation trips in the future.

(Original post by teriaki)
    This all depends on how badly you need the money. If doing the paid job is vitally important to your survival, I don't really see how you could even consider the unpaid work, not to mention the holidays, as options.

I'd go for the work experience if it will help benefit your future career. This in turn can help you increase future income (assuming you're aiming for a career in an industry that pays decently) and thereby enable you to take more awesome vacation trips in the future.
    im not desperate for the money, i can last without it, but family pressure for me to get a job is adding to the fact i need a job, i would like the money aswell so i dont feel bad leeching off my parents and i have money for university

yeah the work experience is very good

hmm...

ReputationRep:

teriaki: he doesn't need the money badly, trust me. once he has it, he won't spend a damn penny!

THEREFORE, do not go on holiday. your mates don't want to spend money on a stingebag who is too cheap to pay for his own stuff. Don't get a job either, because this will only eventually lead to your banker getting an earache from you for not giving you the best interest rates.

i joke neo, i joke, abdi. :p:

ReputationRep:
    im not desperate for the money, i can last without it, but family pressure for me to get a job is adding to the fact i need a job, i would like the money aswell so i dont feel bad leeching off my parents and i have money for university

yeah the work experience is very good

hmm...
    Why don't you compare the net present value (NPV) of the money you will make from the job with the increase in future earnings that the work experience will give you do to its career boosting effect.

If you find that the work experience will be more profitable in the long run, I'm sure your parents will understand and support you in this hour of need.

(Original post by nellydee)
    teriaki: he doesn't need the money badly, trust me. once he has it, he won't spend a damn penny!

THEREFORE, do not go on holiday. your mates don't want to spend money on a stingebag who is too cheap to pay for his own stuff. Don't get a job either, because this will only eventually lead to your banker getting an earache from you for not giving you the best interest rates.

i joke neo, i joke, abdi. :p:
    ofcourse i wont spend a damn penny! i gotta save it for university!!!!
    unless you wanna fund my studies? :ninja:
    no ones spending a penny on me!! (unless you agree to pay for my university?!)
    the bank better kno who they dealin with dun kno im gonna need some sick interest rate still

Why don't you compare the net present value (NPV) of the money you will make from the job with the increase in future earnings that the work experience will give you do to its career boosting effect.

If you find that the work experience will be more profitable in the long run, I'm sure your parents will understand and support you in this hour of need.
    this is a good point
    i gotta think about how valuable this experience may be...

bump

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.