Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Basically I wanted to know about the different products/areas within Investment banking. Along with which ones are more beneficial to go into than others. I have a friend whos cousins are in IB in the City.

Also any other general information other users have to offer?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    They all involve googling.

ReputationRep:
    Operations & Finance are two of the biggest areas in Front Office, there's also Compliance and you get paid more in Compliance than anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amit92)
    Hey,

Basically I wanted to know about the different products/areas within Investment banking. Along with which ones are more beneficial to go into than others. I have a friend whos cousins are in IB in the City.

Thanks
    Pretty irrelevant no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Pretty irrelevant no?
    How is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amit92)
    Hey,

Thanks
    Firstly, define your terms, "Investment Banking" is unfortunately a pretty parsimonious term and is often differently defined depending on the institution.

Investment Banking in probably its most specific term, is the Investment Banking Division (IBD) within an Investment Bank. IBD's tend (I'm generalizing here) to be divided into three areas. Product, Sector and Geography. Each requiring a different skill set and body of knowledge.

Product: M&A, ECM, DCM. So capital raising or advisory within the corporate finance field. So M&A executes the acquisition of one firm by another; ECM raises equity; DCM raises debt.

Sector: More of an origination function, the relationships between senior bankers will lead to deals based on the MDs ideas and the rest of the team putting details/specifics around this ideas. The ideas then pitched to senior management of a firm within a sector with the hope of creating a deal. Can be an origination to buy new firms, or raise equity/debt etc.

Geography: In depth knowledge of a specific geography.

Deals usually require task forces across all three teams, so the Cadbury Kraft deal would've required the M&A team, UK team, US team and Consumer team to work together to execute the deal seamlessly.

I care not for Capital markets side of "investment banking", so someone else can run through that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExclusivelyJulian)
    I care not for Capital markets side of "investment banking", so someone else can run through that.
    I believe that I can take over from here, I have been offered a position in capital markets with a bulge bracket institution.

There are a variety of positions available, I will be working in sales.

In all major countries the capital cities (London, Paris, Berlin etc.) represent a goldmine; local fruit and vegetable markets are without fail the driving force behind the country's economy.

Sales - Dealing with the fruit and veg buying customers. You could also end up dealing with stock procurement, pricing of fruit, structuring of product baskets, researching new exotic fruit/veg or researching whether demand for certain fruit is going to go up or down in the future. These are the glamorous front market positions, there are plenty of other functions that make sure the front market staff can do their job as easily as possible.

The bulge bracket markets in London include the likes of Portobello, Camden and Broadway. If you apply for a position in some of the smaller markets you may gain more exposure early on.

Thank me when you're running your very on trading stool at the top of Portobello Road.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.