Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

How is your confidence? (A short Questionnaire) watch

ReputationRep:
    OK i have compiled a short questionnaire to try and gauge the different levels of confidence people have when it comes to relationships and meeting people.

1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? (briefly)

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do?

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to?

5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice?

6 - Do you ever think of yourself as 'a failure'.

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere?

9 - Do you ever feel inadequate compared to someone that you like?

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone?

Please C&P the previous in a post. And please be as honest as you feel you can.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:

I am really confident in myself, I would say 8/10 on a scale.

Loads of things, from making assumptions, basing your self worth on other people's opinion, failure, comparisons.

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do?

Jizz, in my pants.

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to?

Yes, pretty easy.

5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice?

If I know I look good, it does make me feel good about myself, and then it becomes easier to talk to other people. So I would say yes I do gain confidence that way.

I have done, but its only ever a passing feeling, replaced by determination and grit to succeed.

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?

It depends what I/them were looking for. I tend to do things rather than not, so I would probably jump in anyway, and see what happens.

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere?

Absolutly. I think many people find it dificult to praise and give compliments, so I take them positivly when it happens.

Never.

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone?

No, if its not going to work out when being totally honest and upfront, then frankly im not interested.

ReputationRep:
    Not very most of the time, I'm my biggest critic aparently. This weeks its been 3/10 but today I've moved up to 6/10 in terms of confidence.

The past and how I view myself/compare myself to others, peoples opinions of me both physically and mentally.

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do? Freeze up and wish for my friend to come back (unless we really click then I might contribute to that conversation)

Nope

Not always those there are rare occations where I feel good about what I'm wearing and so gain confidence from that.

A lot of the time but not always

7- Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?
    NEVER ( a problem I'm facing right now)

Yes

Yes

...Ok so I've been guilty on one occation..

ReputationRep:
    1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? (briefly) Sometimes I am but generally not very confident at all, I try to be but mostly fail. Unless I'm drunk.

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence? Body issues and things that happened in the past. My low moods and lack of ever having a proper boyfriend.

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do?Talk back all friendly, try to flirt a bit but I'd be really nervous and feel embarrased. It's easier if I'm drunk though.

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to? Not unless I'm drunk.

5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice? If I think I look nice it always helps my confidence so I always make an effort.

6 - Do you ever think of yourself as 'a failure'. Sometimes.

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person? If I really liked someone and they wanted a relationship with me, I dont see why it wouldnt work. If you want to be with someone you can get over everything in the way.

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere? Not really, sometimes. It depends.

9 - Do you ever feel inadequate compared to someone that you like? I don't think I've ever really liked someone enough, apart from one person, to feel inadequate compared to them. I didnt feel inadequate compared to him though, although sometimes I couldnt understand why someone that perfect would call me beautiful:o:.

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone? In some situations, like if I was never going to see them again, not if I actually liked someone properly though, I dont like lies.

There you go, Im a sadcase:o:.

ReputationRep:

I'm very confident in both my personality and looks; very sure of myself and of who I am. However, I don't have 'open confidence' - I tend to look shy and unsure of myself when people meet me, apparently.

I suppose, simply, past experiences. Negative actions/words aimed at you for who you are/how you look/what you've done having a lasting impact.

I'd have a chat, but probably give relatively short answers. I've never liked 'forced' social situations like that - I prefer to get talking to people through friends.

Though I'm in a relationship now, I tended in the past to only fancy people who I knew well already, so I never really experienced this.

I'm always a bit more cheery when my hair goes right, but clothes etc. don't make a difference.

Never

In the past, I would've done, yes. You can never be 100% confident about such things anyway.

Yes. I really dislike compliments.

Nope

Never, no.

ReputationRep:

Not really. Sometimes I detest myself, but that's for a variety of reasons, related to mental health issues.

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence?

Childhood, mainly.

I usually imagine that s/he's here to take the piss or on a dare or something.

Not at all.

Yes.

All the time, unfortunately.

I can't do relationships.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

ReputationRep:
    Quite/very. 8/10 on a scale maybe.

Assuming you mean insecurity in general - Caring too much what other people/the media think and plain human nature. If you're asking about me specifically I have no idea, aside from human nature again.

Be receptive and continue conversation.

Not really.

No (my self-esteem is not based on whether others think I look nice).

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

I suppose the 'cold approach' is the only thing on that list I have any problems with. Drinking/clubbing isn't my thing so that may have something to do with it.

ReputationRep:

Meh...if I was to quantify I'd say about a 3.5/10

Mine or just generally? It could be a number of reasons, e.g. Distorted thoughts, environmental influences, attitudes of close ones etc

Talk to them back. It depends if they were hitting on me or not.

Bahaha, no.

Yeah, because it's like being in disguise.

Mmm, at times.

I don't really know.

I don't think I've ever believed someone's compliments. Just because someone says it, doesn't mean it's true.

Yeah, I have felt this quite a lot.

Exaggerate and enhance maybe but when I like someone I tend to be as honest as possible.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to say that this is a brilliant thread.

ReputationRep:
    I am very confident 95% of the time. There are some days that I am super paranoid though :erm:

Maybe how they've been brought up/who they've been surrounded by in life

I talk back, maybe get his fb or something lol

nopeeee

yep!

yes, all the time. Especially academically. All I can do is let myself down, I'm a huge disappointment to myself.

Yeah, why not

At times, yeah

A little

No, the truth always comes out

ReputationRep:
    1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? Not very, I have quite low self esteem.

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence: I've nearly always had a bit of an inferiority complex, partly due to past experience of bullying and because of the way I feel that I am perceived by others.

I would talk to them but I would probably feel a bit intimidated and nervous so wouldn't make very good conversation, I'm not good at small-talk anyway.

No, I wouldn't do it, because I nearly always assume they wouldn't be interested.

Yes, slightly.

Yeah, sometimes.

Probably, but I'd be worried about being a let-down and not meeting the expectations of the other person.

Sometimes.

Most of the time.

No.

ReputationRep:

I'd do pretty much anything without embarrassment if that's what you're getting at - like singing Christmas carols to myself

Being obsessive about what everyone thinks about you, instead of what you actually are
    Peer pressure
    Choosing to follow trends instead of setting them

Look around and try to ascertain whether anyone else is watching and it's some kind of prank or something.

I find it very easy to approach any stranger except someone I'm attracted to; I love having conversations with random people at bus stops.

I have enough confidence in that respect, and don't really seek any more; nope.

In certain things, not usually as a whole.
    Only really when on a low on the high-low-high-low emotional rollercoaster of life and related things.

Nope; I am far too cautious for my own good.
    But that's the way things are, and I'm not going to try to change that.
    Because we all know from watching The Simpsons that changing somebody doesn't work!

Yes.
    I never really know what to do in situations where someone is complimenting you.
    So I usually don't pay too much attention and then just say "thank you" at the end.

Well I'm made to!
    For some reason, everyone in school feels the need to let me know repeatedly that I was beaten at some tests especially average GCSE "score" by such-and-such-a-person who is admittedly very good-looking.

Not under any circumstances - I'd feel I were cheating them out of knowing the real me by creating some false image.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the replies so far guys and gals. Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:

Pretty sure. I know i dress well, and i'm very friendly and approachable. I do get the odd day in a month when i'm so insecure about my current status, and just future plans in life :s:

Other people's opinions on someone throughout one's upbringing. One's view on life.. ? :dontknow:

Keep the conversation going! Smile, be friendly, interesting, inquisitive of the guy/girl.

Yes. Mostly yes. Depends on the situation though. I'm not the most comfortable at big social scenes with beer in plastic cups, and having most people around you doped on coke.:yucky:

Definitely :yes:

Not really. I know i could have done better in some areas of my life, but its more of a catalyst for me to work harder and never miss an opportunity.

Yes. time will tell i guess?

Who is that 'someone' ? From past experience, i wouldn't say i would just ignore a compliment.

No

Hahaa.. no. Its pointless. The person would like you more, the relationship grows, the person is more likely to find out the 'lies' . Why waste time on a fake relationship? Nah. I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I don't really know who I am, nor what my personality is, it seems to change all the time.

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence.
    Not had many friends most of my life, slightly obese, too clever for my own good.

Probably think either they're trying to make fun of me or are doing it for a bet or something. I'll probably try to talk to them but make a complete fool of myself or become really angry and aggressive.

Not at all.

Yes.

Yes. I'm reasonably smart, but this means nothing to me as it hasn't earned me happiness.

If they liked me back, hell yeah!

Yes.

Yes.

Yes/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, good input. Keep them coming!

[QUOTE=Tom.]

3/10.

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence?

Appearance issues,family issues,academic issues,bullying.

Talk back.But inwardly be prepared for him to take the piss.

No.

Yes.

Always.

No harm trying.

I tend to assume they are being sarcastic or want me to stop moaning, also it's a solution to having nothing to say.

Always.

Probably not.I may not tell them certain things until I know them better,but I don't see what good lying would lead to.

ReputationRep:
    1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? (briefly) when I'm in a comfortable situation I'm very confident and sure of myself, in an unfamiliar/uncomfortable situation I'm the total opposite.

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence[/quote]
    Can be all sorts of things.
    these are the things that have contributed to mine (according to my counsellor :rolleyes:)
    -lack of attention in a large family
    -bullying in school
    -childhood-adult sexual abuse
    -treatment in relationships.
    -sudden weight gain

probably get a little uncomfortable and wonder why they're there but I'd do my best to have a conversation.

no

I think that actually makes me less confident. I wouldn't want them to look at me and think that I think I look really good

sometimes I feel like a failure but I never think I am one

Yup. How can you ever be sure?

Very

Yup

Probably not. I'm a terrible liar and I hate doing it

what's this for?

ReputationRep:

Reasonably confident/sure - I'd say an 8 on a scale of 1-10

Bullying, being rejected, area you live in, strict parents

Smile and talk to them, see where it goes

No, I rarely do it to complete strangers just in the middle of town; if I'm at a party or something then yeah its easier.

Yes

Not usually - I may fail at certain things but that's life; so no I don't think of myself as a 'failure'

Yes

Nope, I've been complimented enough times to not think of anyone as taking the piss

I feel I may not meet their 'dream guy' qualities, but generally I think I'm fine.

It depends on what - I might make a few tiny, insignificant lies, but never anything major.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    OK i have compiled a short questionnaire to try and gauge the different levels of confidence people have when it comes to relationships and meeting people.

1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? (briefly) Very

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence Peer pressure? Bad parenting? No idea

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do? Talk back

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to?Quite easy

5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice?A little

6 - Do you ever think of yourself as 'a failure'.No! Lol

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?Yes. because you don't know until you've tried

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere?Only if I don't like them

9 - Do you ever feel inadequate compared to someone that you like?Not really

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone?I don't think so

Please C&P the previous in a post. And please be as honest as you feel you can.

Thanks in advance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.