Turn on thread page Beta

How is your confidence? (A short Questionnaire) watch

ReputationRep:
    OK i have compiled a short questionnaire to try and gauge the different levels of confidence people have when it comes to relationships and meeting people.

1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? (briefly)
    Fairly, I would say 6-7? Depends on the day

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence
    Comments that others say to you and the desires to be like others?

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do?
    Carry on chatting, smile, scream "OMG!" in my head, and if I feel really confident and hes gorgeous, grab his number.

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to?
    Nope.

5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice?
    Of course... I have particular clothes/ shoes etc that do the trick.

6 - Do you ever think of yourself as 'a failure'.
    I think I'm too young yet to consider that. Ive still got the whole of my life to make decisions.

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?
    Yep! And it was a bit rocky, it didnt work out, but we're still really close mates. Well worth it

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere?
    Depends on the person, I mainly believe them though, unless they've got a reputation for b****ing.

9 - Do you ever feel inadequate compared to someone that you like?
    Yes. Sometimes it's due to their intelligence or looks, but I think I could never be them! But then I remember that you're not going to be equal on every factor.

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone?
    Nope, coz lying's unattractive, and it's uncomfortable, especially if they find out.

Hope this helps... why are you asking??

ReputationRep:

Not very much at all. I constantly doubt myself and my abilities, which funnily enough makes my performance at everything so much worse. I think I would do a lot better if I was more sure of myself but because I don't have the confidence..I miss out on or muck up opportunities.

My childhood and genetics. My mum has Social Anxiety Disorder and it would not surprise me if I have it too. My Dad abused me. I was picked on at school, due to that I skipped most of it and didn't thrive. My peers bullied me because I was the nice but weird, shy, ugly girl.

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do?

I chat to them if they seem friendly and sane enough.

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to?

Not at all, I have never have approached an attractive stranger.

5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice?

Sometimes it helps and other times it makes me feel worse. I don't like drawing attention to myself. Anyway, I never look nice even when I make some effort.

Constantly, and I fail because of my anxiety holding me back.

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?

Not sure, because I have never been in a relationship and all the guys who have liked me I have not had feelings for. I probably wouldn't though because I don't like risk. I don't like making myself vulnerable.

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere?

I don't get many of them, but when I do I see it as a pity thing.

Yes I do.

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone?

No, I do not see the point. I would rather someone liked me for me.

ReputationRep:
    Not very. Especially in terms of ability e.g. at school

In terms of appearance - celebrity culture, role models, obsession with looks and weight

Talk back

Oh lord no. If they approach me then it's cool, but other way wrong and I'm :eek3:

Yes, of course. First impressions will undoubtedly be based on appearance

Yes, e.g. after unproductive days, if I eat too much, etc

Yes. Often your mind is your worst enemy and you shouldn't listen to it:p:

Depends what they're complimenting me on!

Yes

Oh no - 'come as you are'

ReputationRep:
    OK i have compiled a short questionnaire to try and gauge the different levels of confidence people have when it comes to relationships and meeting people.

Very. Everything happens for a reason, I make the best decisions I can but if something goes wrong, learn from it and move on

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence?

Previous failures, degrading comments from those around you, lack of encouragement.

Talk back - it'd be rude not to! If I'm talking for a while maybe just text a mate from the group to say everything's alright or just let them know where I am.

Yeah.

Yep. Well, it's not so much self-confidence, as knowledge. If I go out in a pair of trackies and a slouchy hoody I don't expect to make a very good impression!

6 - Do you ever think of yourself as 'a failure'?

Nope. **** happens - learn and move on

Yep. It's worth a shot, right? If it's meant to be then it will work. If it doesn't work out, then it obviously wasn't mean to be!

Only if they compliment by ability to ballet dance.

Nope - we're all human, and for everything I'm better than her at, undoubtedly there's one thing she's better than me at.

Nope. Lies have a bad reputation for coming back at you, often when you least expect it. Honesty is key to most things in life, not just relationships.

Thanks in advance.

No probs

ReputationRep:

I've become more confident in college than I did at school. My confidence has definitely improved, probably from 2/10 in school to 7/10 (maybe hihgher, I'm not actually sure) at college. I often have doubts about stuff though, so I'm not 'sure' about things all the time. This is why I'm bad at making decisions.

Bullying in school.
    No/hardly any friends and rejection.
    Bad familial experiences, such as abuse.
    Undesirable appearance, such as weight gain and 'ugliness'.
    Conflicting cultural ideals and values.

Talk to them. If I like their personality as well as their looks, I may consider taking it further at a later moment in time.

I don't think I've ever done this, so I can't comment for sure.

Yes.

Definitely. I know I could have done better in high school and at GCSEs. Had I not been so lazy...

I can't comment on this.

I don't hang around with people who would not be sincere in the given case.

No I don't.

No.

ReputationRep:
    I have very little confidence. Though I feel i'm good at some things, even with these I still panic my self silly about failure. My biggest lack of confidence though comes from my body image. I really sturggle in social situations where I know hardly anyone and everyone else knows one another, I just can't seem to make myself talk.

Call me vain or shallow maybe, but i'm quite hung up over my appearance, and this is one of the reasons for such low self confidence. I feel like i'm constantly being judged upon the way I look and I hate that! It makes me feel unbelievably uncomforable.

I'd talk back; I'd feel rude not to. But I'd be incrediby nervous and shy and my covnersation would pretty much consist of just answers, rather than iniating anythign myself.

No.

I feel better about myself if I've gone out with my hair and makeup done nicely and wearing clothes I really like, so my confidence is usually a little better.

Yes.

I dunno...Ive only been in one relationship, so I can;t really answer this properly.

Yep. I can rarely see how they can be sincere.

I always feel bad for my boyfriend that he's stuck with me when he could do so much better. It probably sounds silly and absurd, as he does love me...i just don't get why :/

No.

Ruth xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)

Depending on the situation I can come across as a 10, but usually a sense of false confidence in a way i would suppose.

Feelings of non acceptance/being constantly mis-understood... Wanting things that you just can never really get.

Talk back, and if everything seems to go quite well, maybe actually reciprocate in terms of a conversational point of view... maybe flirt a little, but see what happens (usually I would feel shocked almost)

To a certain degree yes... but i need some sort of comfort (like knowing they barely know anyone around... or me knowing a few people around)

Usually yes

Constantly, though not in a conventional sense... like I feel like I can do anything and am able to, but I don't find enough of a drive to go for certain things... (and ironically I am actually one of the best at most things I do - which contradicts the thought of being a failure by making myself as "why do I feel like I think I am a failure?")

Well considering almost all relationships I believe will end at a point yes i do enter them... but I would NEVER enter a relationship with someone who I would have to grow to like...

Very often yes, I feel most people compliment others for their own benefit.

No, but in terms of a relationship, I do feel I may actually ruin it for them - but thats for other reasons.

No never, in fact I make a constant point of being as truthful as possible, even when someone asks me something involving them.

Please C&P the previous in a post. And please be as honest as you feel you can.

Thanks in advance.
    Answers in the quote in yellow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    I loved your answers! Very optimistic, makes a refreshing change!

ReputationRep:

Erm, I'm quite confident in my apearance, but not really about my abilities. Also, I always worry about whether people like me or not.

Lack of self-belief.
    Being constantly told that you are useless.
    Pressure.
    Never thinking that you're good enough.

Chat back if they look and seem nice (ie. friendly and not scary). If not, leave.

Depends on the situation, at an organised event, yes, but not randomly in the street.

Yes

Not at the moment, but I always think that I'll be one in the future.

Yes, but if it wasn't working after a few months I would end it...might as well try something.

Depends on the person, ie. if it is a popular person at school then no. You can normally tell by the tone of their voice.

Not compared to my friends, but compared to people who I admire.

No, because it would be so bad if they found out.

ReputationRep:
    Not particularly.
    Knocking my front teeth out,leading to retainers and braces, and getting bullied when I was younger.
    Talk,probably.

Nope.
    No.
    Very often.

Nope.
    I think they're insane.
    Err.. yeah?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I veer wildly between utter self contempt and fantastical arrogance; the middle ground is something I strive for. As such, it very much depends on the day and the circumstances.

I have huge issues with my looks. To put it mildly. Mirrors generally strike me with terror. Then again, I can be so manic that on occasion I'm quite capable of outrageously flirting and asking someone out, not batting much of an eyelid at any suggestion it was futile.

Though I could, on occasion, appear somewhat aggressively confident, inside I am almost always likely to be absolutely squirming and desperate to move as quickly as possible.

Funnily enough, I tend to find approaching much easier than being approached, when my mood is aggressive. When it is recessive, I would think of approaching someone as likely to make them uncomfortable and therefore somewhat unfair.

On the occasions where I have felt good about myself in that sense I have been known to become outrageously different. To say yes would be an extremely mild term.

Constantly. In some thing I use it very strategically as a way of striving for improvement. In others the effect is markedly less positive.

I take the view that life is for living as and now. Even if I felt for some reason it wasn't going to work out, but truly liked them, I'd want to let it take its natural course and learn from it that way. Better to love and to have lost . . .

Normally I'd wonder if they are well or are attempting to use me for something. On other occasions it seems so obvious that I wonder why they are not saying it. :p:

In truth I have never felt any other way, deep down.

I have stretched the truth on some things in the past, but purely creative lying, no. Even the former occasions have caused me much guilt. Rightly.

ReputationRep:

Very sure. I know who i am, what i like, what i want to be and where i aim to be etc

Family problems and lack of experience for me i'd say

I'd try and keep the conversation going. But after about 2 mins i'd be struggling and then she'd probably walk away.

Not at all. I get nervous and the words dont come out

Definitley. I stroll down the street to work as though i'm Roberto Mancini in the scarf

Only in the relationships field. In everything else i'm excellent. Great education, job and prospects. Just dont like being alone.

Yep. As things may change you gotta give it a chance.

Sometimes, as i think they might be taking the piss. But 80% of the time i believe them.

Not really. I feel i have a lot to offer, I am a witty intelligent guy who is just a little shy and take a bit of time to open up and be myself with new folks. As soon as i tackle that problem i should be sorted.

Only a tiny lie, nothing major that could ruin a relationship.

ReputationRep:

I'm quitely confident about myself. I may not have the best looks/body/abilities ect. but that doesn't bother me. I am who I am, and people love me for it.

Hormones and the past. They usually have a nasty habit of combining with each other and i'll just feel.. inadequate in so many ways.

If they're hitting on me (If, lol) i'd prolly walk away, i'm not interested. If not, i'll talk to them for about 5 minutes then walk off.

Noo. I'm too shy/get too nervous then start to stammer, which is highly attractive. But even if this didn't happen, I wouldn't really bother as i'd believe i'd have nothing of worth to say to them/be ignored.

Yes.

The only time is at uni, compared to others on my course (Especially music!) I feel like a failure. But I blame that on a) my education and b) the fact i've forgotten basic music due to being out of it for so long.

Never been in this situation, so can't comment.

Yes, always have done.

Compared to my boyfriend, yes - he's done a lot to be proud of.

Noo.

ReputationRep:
    Alright.

Family. School. All sorts.

Talk back.

I don't approach people normally. But if I do it's only because I can find an easy conversation starter.

Nope. Cba dressing up. I'm far too lazy.

Nah. No point.

Yeah. Never know unless you try.

Somtimes. Depends what the compliment was.

Not really.

Nah, no point.

ReputationRep:

like someone up there said, quietly confident. i'm not a loud person but i'm confident in who i am. however, with the added physical appearance aspect, it brings me down to about a 6/10 usually i'd say

physical appearance mostly

reciprocate the friendliness and have a convo

not if there's no reason. if i have to approach them to ask for, i dunno, a spare pen then yeah that's fine. otherwise, nooo it's hard i never do it

yep

very very rarely

hm, probably yeah

yeah

usually

nah, don't think so

what's this for op?

Not really very confident. Sometimes I get panic attacks when worrying about social situations.
    My anxiety disorder, which stems from some stuff that happened when I was younger.
    I'd probably be very flattered, but the paranoid part of my would wonder why the hell he is talking to me.
    Not at all. I have occasionally, but only when I'm actively trying to combat my confidence issues.
    Yes, but then I become less confident, because I worry about whether I actually look nice, or if I look awful. I even panic before the occasion as I worry whether my outfit that I loved in the shop is suitable for what I've bought it for.
    All of the time.
    I would, but then I'd flake out a few months in.
    Yes. I worry they pity me, or are are flattering me so I will do something for them.
    All of the time.
    No, I hate lying, and I hate liars. I probably wouldn't talk to the person in the first place though.

(Original post by Tom.)

Depends, I think I'm more confident in a way when I'm around people 24/7 and feeling like people are always seeing me. But I'm more confident when I feel I blend in with the 'normal' crowd - out with friends, having a laugh and a drink, like everyone else.

Being around people who I perceive to have the qualities I lack - in your face attractiveness, outgoing, instantly seeming to find friends upon being in a new place. If that makes sense.

Talk back, try and find something interesting/witty to say. Think myself lucky because that almost never happens

No. I don't approach guys.

Yes, but I still never feel like I look as good as others who've dressed up.

In the past I saw myself as a good academic achiever with maybe social failings. Now I'm starting to think I'm rubbish at both my studies and my social life.

Yeah.

Sometimes, mostly I accept it though.

Yes, atleast I do at the moment.

I don't lie because if something ended up happening it would be found out. I might leave stuff out or over-exxagerate things though.

Please C&P the previous in a post. And please be as honest as you feel you can.

Thanks in advance.
    Looking at this, in some ways my confidence seems to be going up at the moment, but at the same time I'm getting much more self critical about myself again, having stopped caring for a while.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Looking at this, in some ways my confidence seems to be going up at the moment, but at the same time I'm getting much more self critical about myself again, having stopped caring for a while.
    Should've read 'I think I'm more confident in a way when I'm notaround people 24/7 and feeling like people are always seeing me'
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Not very. 3/10

Many things. Probably for me, my AS is a large contributor.

Try (unsuccessfully) to talk back, hoping my friends were on their way back.

No.

Not much, but it helps.

No. I feel down at times but I never think of myself as a failure.

No.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If alcohol is involved then I'd usually believe it less.

Sometimes.

No. I couldn't lie to save my life.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not at all :\

Appearance, being awkward in social situations, not having a lot in common with most people, having difficulty making friends, generally feeling inadequate and 'lower' than everyone else.

Make an excuse to leave.

Don't think I would.

I tend to feel worse by dressing up because I don't look as good as others.

Yes, because I am

Dunno

Yes

All the time with my bf.

Wouldn't do that. No point really

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.