Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How is your confidence? (A short Questionnaire) watch

Announcements

1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? (briefly)
    not very

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence
    not being reassured enough.

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do?
    talk back, but sort of wonder if its just a joke

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to?
    nope not unless im SURE they like me too

5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice?
    yes

6 - Do you ever think of yourself as 'a failure'.
    usually

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?
    yes

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere?
    absolutely. i feel like they do it because they feel sorry for me?

9 - Do you ever feel inadequate compared to someone that you like?
    all the time

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone?
    nope id be too embarassed if they found out i lied.

ReputationRep:

Well, it mainly depends on who I am with; and my mood.
    I know that sounds extremely vague, but it is true.
    For instance; When I am with my boyfriend.. I generally feel very, very confident (most of the time, unless there's something I haven't tried before.. or thought about before. Or we try to talk about our feelings.. then I falter. xD). While, normally.. when I'm with my friends.. I just.. sort of.. I suppose I'm sort of sure about myself, I just don't talk very much (because I feel so much stupider than them all; and I tend to babble.. So I prefer one-on-one conversations). That being said; I feel very comfortable around new people, as long as no one I know is around. This also makes no sense.. it's just that I know I will most likely never see them again; so I don't bother about trying to make a good first impression, hence I just become very confident, and flowy in whatever I say.
    As for the "mood" thing.. when I'm depressed; I'm depressed. When I'm happy.. I get chatty.. for that matter though, I also get chatty when I'm depressed.. but, then it's more on a one-on-one basis.

A shy nature. To begin with; even if the person is able to pull out of it, as long as they are still in the same social group, they will "play" as if they have low self-esteem and a lack of confidence.

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do?

Depends on how approachable he seems.
    If he doesn't seem that interesting; ignore him, and wave him off with a hand (figuratively speaking).
    If he seems interesting, and we get along.. babble about everything and nothing.

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to?

Depends on how "strangerish" he is.
    I probably wouldn't go up to a COMPLETE stranger on the street and start talking to him. If I was on the same bus, we were in the same store, or at the gym; I would make eye contact and "semi-flirt" that way. (just because I find it a fun hobby- a smile goes a long way). If they like me, they like me.. approach me, and yes.
    If it's one of my friends' friends who is the person in question; I would definitely do my best to get to know him. =) Even just because he's my friend's friend.

5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice?

Sometimes..?
    Depends on my mood.

I used to; because I was the silent one in the corner at my old school. Not so much now because I moved away; and my confidence level wasn't that bad at the end.. but as I said before confidence can be gained over time, it's just hard to show that you're confident when you have already fallen into a "group" or "type" of people.
    Now; it's mostly because of stress at school. =)

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?

Hm, I sort of have with my current boyfriend. So yes. ^^

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere?

Haha. *pokes friends and boyfriend* they believe I do just that.. and makes me swear to believe them when they say I'm sexy, beautiful, pretty, smart, etc, etc..
    So now I'm sort of used to disregard what they say; and just say "thank you".

I have.

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone?

No. Don't see why that would be necessary. If you end up in a long-term relationship with that person; you'd be screwed.

ReputationRep:
    lol not at all tbh, have to be drunk to have any form of confidence except when doing something I'm good at.

I was an ugly kid :yy:

Talk back. Whats the worse that can happen.

Nope, i'd rather wink at them at hope they come over lol

Nah

Yeah. A lot.

Yeah I'd go for it.

Lol yup.

All the time.

Have done before. Probably wouldn't again.

ReputationRep:
    I am everything I want to be. Rather over confident with myself tbh.

Looks, Attention, Which 'social group' you are in, Intelligence.

I talk back to her and take that fine ass home with me

Tbh I don't find it easy and I usually think for about 3-5mins before I do it to make sure I make the best first impression - I think first impressions count for a lot in stuff like that

Yeah definitely.

6 - Do you ever think of yourself as 'a failure'?
    I wouldn't say I'm a failure, no. Although I think it's what I fear the most.. In terms of life.

No. If I was to start a relationship I would need both of us to be confident and want it to work.

Depends what they say. Most of the time no, someone compliments me and I believe it but sometimes I can just tell if people are being fake

There are people who I know are hot but I would never get? Just because of who we are as people. I wouldn't say I felt inadequate though, no.

Generally, if I just want to pull but I know if I tell them the truth about myself they aren't going to want to then yeah I lie and just tell people what they want to hear - Although if I wanted more than a one night stand then I wouldn't lie because as I said above, for a relationship I'd want both of us to be happy and confident it would work etc..

ReputationRep:
    quite, relatively
    other people criticising you - for me its my parents - they dont do it a lot but when they do it effects me more than when others do
    3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do? talk back

not to approach - i never do, but if they approached me then i could talk easily
    yeah
    no, i only ever have in terms of education - and then i realise that im comparing myself to others in my private stuck up highschool of genius' and i realise im pretty good after all
    yeah
    no
    generally no, although im quite paranoid about my figure
    10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone? no not at all

ReputationRep:
    Here is a honest response:

I'm fairly confident but I've only just gained this I used to lack confidence alot

I think it was because I used to think very low of myself

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself
    alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do?
    I'd start talking to her before I wouldn't have done now I'd deffo talk to her where as before I wouldn't have bothered

Depending....In a bar I could but if I saw a hot girl at the bus stop I wouldn't approach her but yeah all depends on situation

Yes reason why I now dress to impress haha you will never catch me looking like a tramp

Used to until I got into college and starting planning my life out slowly

Yes I've done it before and it worked (For a while)

No

Yeah a recent situation she was way above my class money/house/way she was , She was out of my league

Nah it will come back to haunt you I'd rather be truthful about myself

1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? pretty lightly

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence. My experiences of abuse physically, verbally and mentally that's left a bad scar

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do ? talk back but quite coy

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to? Whether they're attractive or not, nope

5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice? When i feel good inside then kind of but generally not really- my best still isn't decent.

6 - Do you ever think of yourself as 'a failure'. Majority of the time, yes

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?I would start and see what happens, but I'm not one to start a relationship if I'm unhappy by myself

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere? It's more accepting and agreeing with them that's difficult for me

9 - Do you ever feel inadequate compared to someone that you like? Generally yes

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone? No, I'm always myself.

ReputationRep:
    Quite, I would say... 8.5/10?

Failure, pressure to succeed, lack of encouragement/praise, media

Talk back Have a nice conversation

Sure, so long as they seem the approachable type

Not really, I tend to feel confident no matter what I wear (so long as I look as presentable as I normally do, and I smell nice)

I worry about becoming one, but I am not one at the moment

Sure, everyone has to take risks.

Quite a lot of the time, however lots of people do like to mock me in a friendly way, so I never know XD

Nope

Never.

ReputationRep:

Im the most inconfident person ever, if it is talking to anyone, I can't do it. A girl that I like its taken me 4 months to say hi. That shows the extent of my lack of confidence.

Never really talked to girls, many people in life. Never tried to, saw no reason to when I was young, stupidly.

In this case, me I would talk back. It is dependent on her attitude, but I should be fine, although sometimes become awkward.

NO!!

A bit but no an unprecedented increase!

Yep.

Yes, of course. I mean I would make the relationship work.

Not all the time, depends on the circumstances.

Yes, if they were rich, really popular then its hard not to feel inadequate.

Not really, its more of a what you see is what you get.

i'll keep this as brief as possible :ninja:

half confident half unconfident

apperance

keep talking

no

yes

no

yes

yes very!

yes

no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    OK i have compiled a short questionnaire to try and gauge the different levels of confidence people have when it comes to relationships and meeting people.

Please C&P the previous in a post. And please be as honest as you feel you can.

Thanks in advance.
    1. Very sure. I know who I am, what lengths I will go to, and what I wouldn't accept. I have more confidence now that I have friends, but I still don't feel I can go round their houses without invading their space interrupting their lives.

2. Lack of social life, bullying

3.Talk back. I would keep the conversation going, talking about trivial things like what is the meaning of life probably lol.

4. No. I would probably wait for them to approach me, or I would try to integrate myself in a group of some sorts and acquaint myself with the person in question that way.

5.No. I can't care less if I looked nice. People should take me for me as a person, not for the clothes I wear.

6. Never. Sometimes I think that I could have made better choices in life, which would have led to a better education, career, etc, but I am happy with how I have turned out as a person.

7. I would not. But I would like to remain friends with the said person, indefinitely or until I am confident that we can continue further.

8.Sometimes. I never take anything positive to heart because I have a very negative work ethic, I believe improvement can always be made, and so never happy with myself. But someone explicitly says that they mean it, it means the world.

9. Not as such. I do have a tendency to feel like I am wasting peoples time when I want to talk to them or go out for a drink, I just think that they may not want me there. If I were to meet someone, I probably at first, yes.

10.No. People must accept me for who I am if a relationship is to work.

ReputationRep:
    Not very

Appearence, sound of my voice. Those two are the biggest ones.

Act rude and look at my feet hoping he'll go away

Nope

Yeah , a little

Yes

I have no idea

Yes all the time

Yes

Yes

Almost constantly doubting myself...
    Not rly having many friends when younger, kids making snide remarks about me...
    go very, very quiet and smiley
    i've never done so- can barely approach friends i'm attracted to
    my confidence lowers when i notice everyone looks a helluva lot better
    yes... with regards to uni apps, so far, no. with regards to everything else, yes
    ofc i would start one- who knows how it'd turn out. as long as i like them
    yeah. i almost never take compliments. i don't see how what they said could be true- so obv they're lying
    yes. unbelievably so.
    no. lying is stupid. i'd feel guilty for making them think i'm like that, even when i'm not.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, really. If with friends, I'm much more confident and could go up to a random stranger and say 'Hey,' or would smile if someone said it to me.. if I'm on my own, I'll think they're taking the piss.

Not too sure, really. I'd think personality is a major factor; I haven't seen many shy, easily embarrassed people totally transform into someone fully self-confident

If I thought they were taking the piss, just sit there and go red.
    If I was sure they were sincere, chat.

Nope.

Yea, sure.

Not really. Only if I, er, fail.

7- Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?
    Probably, yes. You never know how things might turn out, may as well take a chance once in a while.

If I know them, no. If they're a stranger, yes.

No.

Not so far.. probably would, though.

ReputationRep:
    Some days, superconfident, often to the point of arrogance. Other days, not in the slightest, and I don't even want to see anyone because I feel so unconfident.

Thinking about what other people will think. 'I can't go out looking like this, because xyz will think I look awful'

Talk back. Bit rude not to. I'd also be a bit confused, as nobody really does that sort of thing, surely?

Yes. I won't let on that I find them attractive unless they do first though. Not a TOTAL stranger by the way, unless I'm drunk; more a friend of a friend stranger.

Yes, because I never see anyone if I look really rough.

Oftentimes.

Yes. You can't ever be fully confident can you?

Mostly. Mostly it's just because they want to be complimented back or as part of an ulterior motive. Or because they feel obliged to.

ALL THE TIME.

Probably. God I'm a loser.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, very unconfident. all the confidence my friends say i put out is a front and an act...
    people..
    Talk...?! or in my case have a mind blank and go quiet
    No quite the opposite i will have a total mind blank
    doesn't change the psychological so no
    errm define failure :p: i got good academics i got good friends , so i don't think so
    Yes. but they wouldn't start it with me
    yes.
    it's easier to ask when don't i?
    never... they're gonna find the truth eventually so why build a relationship on a lie?

ReputationRep:
    Not very

negative self view - my loos, I act cold and quiet to avoid getting hurt to be honest

feel nervous but alright

not at all, probably wouldnt do it incase they just rejected me or was horrid - sounds pathetic :P but im tryin to be honest

Yes

Not really

Yes deffinately

Yes

Yes

No

ReputationRep:
    Erm, not very, not very at all! Probably like 2/10

I think social surroundings, experiences and genetics

Me = not social, so walk away haha!

No, I don't bother

Yep!

Sure

Of course

I think they're lying >__<

Always

No way

ReputationRep:

I think I'm quite confident about myself. It is true that depends on the occasion, but I'm pretty confident of what I think, or how I act.

Depends on a lot of things. Friends (or people who could call themselves friends) might be awful if they don't help you being confident, close people should bear in mind how strong their opinions are and try not to start saying that you were wrong, or trying to put you down.

Speak with him, of course! I find really easy to speak with anybody =)

Depends on the occasion too, and if this person is with somebody else or not. If he is alone, it's easy to go with an excuse or sth and start speaking.

Of course. The day I wake up and I feel better, or the day I think the make-up is good, or that I found a good outfit I think i will be able to confront the whole world.

I had thought it like two in my life, after failing sth or not being able to work something out... but really it was not to think as a failure, it was like thinking: oh c'mon, you screwed it up.

Yeah, you learn from your mistakes. They say that is better to cry over sth you did wrong, that to cry over sth you were not brave enough to do.

Depends on teh people. It's like you know when they are being sarcastic or hypocrite...

Inadequate... I think that sometimes I used to think I was not in their same league, but finally you realize that there are not different leagues at all.

Absolutely not. I'm a person who does a lot of different things (like, I have a lot of different hobbies) so I always end up having sth in common with the other person, sth that I think helps a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    Tomcat!

Not very. I'm awkward in social situations.

Insecurity about looks, nerves, and caring too much about what people think.

I'd make pleasant conversation.

Not in the slightest.

Yeah, who doesn't?

No, I don't allow myself to.

Yes - just because you're uncertain doesn't mean things will definitely go badly.

Occasionally, but mostly I just smile and thank them.

It depends. If they were a lot more confident than me, then I'd feel the pressure etc.

No - I don't see the point.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.