Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is your confidence? (A short Questionnaire) Watch

ReputationRep:
    1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? (briefly)
    Depends how my hair looks :rolleyes:

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence
    Unwarranted self deprocation

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do?
    Try to have a really good conversation. Might tease them about their forwardness. Move to a different location and usually make some story up that's funny or interesting.

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to?
    - It used to be. Kinda got out of the habbit now
    5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice?
    - Yes of course

6 - Do you ever think of yourself as 'a failure'.
    Course not.

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?
    -yes it's the fun of it

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere?
    - Not at all. You can tell whether it's sincere or not, just in the way it's said.

9 - Do you ever feel inadequate compared to someone that you like?
    - no at all. but then again Does size matter?

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone?
    -Ideally no. It depends on whether you're just blowing your own trumpet or flat out making things up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Question)
    The irony of this post is, that while intending to devalue it, has probably boosted some people's confidence. It has for me anyway.
    explain!

ReputationRep:
    When things are going good I can be quite confident.
    Bad past exeriances
    3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do?
    Start talking back, usually make a joke :P:
    4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to?
    Sometimes, more so over the past 6-8 months.
    5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice?
    Definately
    Every now and again, especially when I waste a day I can be doing work but instead am playing Call of Duty but who doesnt lol.
    7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?
    Doubt it, I like to have assurance first. Its not worth the potential messyness a predicated break up can cause. Then again, never been in the position.
    8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere?
    Depends what they say...
    Nah, I don't believe in 'leagues'
    10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone?
    Nooooooooo. I like them to know who and what I am from the earliest stage. If they like it thats good, if they dont...unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schoolstudent)
    explain!
    It reminds people of other stuff thy're good at, and having a lack of confidence mattering little.

Thus giving them confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Question)
    It reminds people of other stuff thy're good at, and having a lack of confidence mattering little.

Thus giving them confidence.
    I see
    well that's the answer i was hoping for
    and hopefully it'll make the ones who have confidence and nothing else wake up!

(Original post by Tom.)
    OK i have compiled a short questionnaire to try and gauge the different levels of confidence people have when it comes to relationships and meeting people.

Please C&P the previous in a post. And please be as honest as you feel you can.

Thanks in advance.
    1. Pretty confident, pretty sure. I'm not the nervous wreck I used to be, at any rate.

2. I'd say that, from my own experience, that would be being the butt of many jokes and the like as a young child.

3. Talk back, but let them talk if they appear too confident.

4. Never had to try; don't know.

5. Sort of.

6. Every now and again. Mainly when I get worried about finding a job and somewhere to live - still with my parents.

7. Definitely not.

8. Sometimes, though I've not been complimented very often.. maybe about three times.

9. I generally seem to be attracted to girls who are very, very attractive, though I'd say I'm no more attractive than anyone else, so I do, sometimes.

10. Nope. I'm daft enough that if I ever did lie, I'd be found out before you could say 'iota.'

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all!

ReputationRep:
    Very, it's somewhat arrogance, and somewhat self love, but I'm sure

People feeling less worth than others

Chat her up, flirt, get her number, see what shes doing that day, get her back to mine and have sex?

yes, it gets easier and easier every day too

yes

occasionally

NO! Relationships aren't meant to be airy fairy, if you need sex fine, but don't settle for the first girl that comes along

no I don't

no, i usually feel on the same level at the very least

yes yes, I know i shouldn't but it's sooooooo easy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)

Chat her up, flirt, get her number, see what shes doing that day, get her back to mine and have sex?
    If you're as serious as you claim to be about getting rich, will you not have to stop arsing around so much some time soon?

ReputationRep:
    Not very confident at all

Shyness, fear, how you were brought up, lack of experience in things

Talk to them, same as I'd talk to anyone else but probably a bit shyer and gigglier

Oh god no, haha

Yes, I feel more confident if I've put an effort into appearance

Sometimes

Yes, you never know

Yeah but I'm getting a bit better with that

All the time. I'm obsessed with the idea that I'm not good enough for my boyfriend

Not lies as such, just maybe try and change little things about myself to be more 'agreeable' maybe. But no, I don't lie.

ReputationRep:

Not very

Past experience. Also, I used to move houses a lot so I was always the 'new girl' and didn't always click with others

Talk back but nervously (stumbling on words etc.). If he talked for a while I'd probably get more comfortable replying.

Nope

Definitely

Sometimes. When I do I'll have a sob and be sad for a while but then I try to be positive

Yes

Usually, yes. But it does depend on who's doing the complimenting

Yes

Yes - only a small lie though

ReputationRep:
    I have my moments where I'm really confident, but as soon as someone says the slightest mean thing, I'm knocked right down and I'm usually not all that confident, though I'm confident with theatre and public speaking which is weird. I've definitely grown in confidence these past two years.

Rumours people spread about you, people's opinion of you, but mostly past experiences and situations.

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do? Act confidently but as soon as it gets awkward, make some excuse to leave probably. But depends how I feel on the night.

No way.

Sure do

A lot of the time but not always

7- Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?
    Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yesss :/

Not at all confident really, not anymore anyway. I used to be quite confident in school until i met my ex.

How I've been treated in the past, but also the fact that I've never really got over my past enough to build my confidence back.

Panic, what the hell do i say?! Probably find an excuse to leave

No. My boyfriend now did all the chasing.

A little bit. I'm more confident if I feel I've made an effort with my clothes/hair/make up, but if I wear the same things more than once, i lose that confidence (hence why i'm broke now!)

Yes

I guess I am in one.. I don't know if it will work, but I really like him. I'm risking a lot, but he's worth it.

Sometimes, depends what they compliment

All the time

Not really

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty confident, simply because I know my faults and my attributes and I accept them as I part of who I am.

As cliché as it sounds, not believing in yourself and not like being in your own skin eats you up from the inside out.

I'd talk back, possibly try and flirt a little- although saying this I find my confidence mentioned in question one sometimes shrinks into a tiny blob if I was approached by an attractive guy!

Sometimes I would be fine with it, other times I'd refuse profusely to do it.

Dressing up is great for an extra confidence boost, I take pride in what I wear because I like to look classy and elegant, and I think that enhances and affects how you act around other people, and how they act around you.

Not seriously, no. Some aspects of my life could be better- I've never had a boyfriend which occasionally bugs me- but I'd rather wait for someone I actually want to be with rather than hooking up with some stranger. One thing I know for sure is that at my school, I've built up a reputation where guys respect me, and I way prefer that than people thinking I'm a ****.

Why not? If I liked the person and they liked me, I'd certainly try.

Innocent until proven guilty? I take compliments as sincere unless I have a valid reason to believe otherwise.

Yes, definitely, sometimes I feel that I'm aiming too "high". But then most people do.

Crikey, erm, I don't think so. I try and stay true to myself and to others- what you see is what you get, and if you don't like that, GTFO!

ReputationRep:
    1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself?

About 60% - not enough to be confident but enough not to feel like a complete waste of space.

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence?

Being looked down on and treated like a pack mule at work, general appearance sometimes, seeing everyone else hook up whilst I'm left as the third wheel - that kinda stuff, but work is the biggest factor right now.

Talk back; flirt a little if I'm up for it. Try and join his "group" seeing as I can't find mine. Try and get a phone number. I'm very confident once someone has made the first move.

No. It's much easier for me if they make the first move. I won't do anything otherwise.

I make an effort with my appearance pretty much every day as I know I'll feel more confident. If I look nice, I feel nice.

Lately I have, but only at work.

I have always admired from afar; I can always find a reason why it won't work and it always holds me back. I've yet to come across mutual feelings but I'd like to think that'd give me the support I needed.

No - I always go out of my way to compliment people. If you like it, say it. So I'd like to think that other people are being just as sincere as I am; why waste your time on fake compliments? Although, saying that, I have come across one or two men who like to use compliments to get me to do their work for them - quite a few people have actually. But then again, that's the work thing.

Not compared to, but they tend to make me feel inadequate.

Nothing big; I've said I said something to someone - who neither of us will meet again (i.e. cashier, telemarketers, etc.) - when actually I was just thinking it. But that's as far as it goes. I've seen serial liars and they're not pretty.

ReputationRep:
    1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? I am sure about myself in certain aspects, such as my academic ability and I feel that I'm a good friend and good person generally, but there is room for improvement! I am quite shy.

Worrying about what other people think about you - it really holds you back in certain situations.

Chat back!

No I prefer to be approached. But i think this is more because i'm a girl and i don't want to appear 'too keen' you know.

Definitely. But i will still feel pretty shy with new people but at least i know i look nice!

Sometimes, but not for long. Ican be a bit melodramatic!

No.

No i say thanks!

No i just tell myself that not everone's the same...

No I can't lie lol. I blush uncontrollably so it would be totally obvious!

ReputationRep:
    Not very, it depends where I am a lot of the time. Maybe 4/10?

Being uncomfortable with my body and feeling like people are looking at me all the time and thinking nasty things :sad: Also, the way a certain guy I know always goes out of his way to put me down, he's been like that since Year 7 and part of me thinks that there must be a reason for it, and that other people are just more polite about it than him.

Also, being quite clumsy :sad:

If he actually meant to sit by me because of me, I'd talk to him, but be worried that he didn't actually want me to talk to him though...

If I approach them, relatively easy.

Yes. But worry about how I look and what I'm wearing constantly.

Yes.

Yes.

No, it always feels like they're taking the piss.

Someone I like as in, romantically? Not really.

Depends what it's about, nothing too far fetched of course.

ReputationRep:
    thanks Tom
    great questionnaire

ReputationRep:

I'd say about 8/10 in terms of confidence and sureness (the result of the rising over several years of bullying from all sides)

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence?

Failure, an unwillingness to change the status quo and to step out of ones shell

Talk to her. What else?

Somewhat...it used to be a bit weird but I've got over it...

Definately...the clothes to a certain extent maketh the person

Nope...I've failed before, but like Thomas Edison said, '
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work'

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you you really liked the person?

Not really...if it doesn't click from the off, and it's not a 'friends with benefits' relationship, forget it.

Sometimes...but I'm getting over it...

I used to...not any more.

I'll be honest...depends on the situation. 9 times out of ten not though.

ReputationRep:

10/10
    I know what I can do, and I know what I cannot do.

Self-efficacy

Talk back..

Pretty easy, I just make an observational opener, smile and go from there.

Yeh

Never.

Yes.

Nope. Doesn't even matter if they are or are not.

Never.

I don't need to lie. Besides, if they she didn't like me for who I was she can get ******.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.