Turn on thread page Beta

How is your confidence? (A short Questionnaire) watch

ReputationRep:
    1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? (briefly)
    In everything but relationships

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence
    A whole host of things. Like I said, I am confident in life, I love meeting new people. At Uni, I meet new people all the time and I love it. But the second I'm attracted to someone, BAM, every ounce of confidence flies out the window. Literally, like that, its gone. Theres a few factors:
    My height. I'm about 5'6, and smaller than most people I know. MASSIVELY insecure about this. Second, every girl I've liked seems to hurt me. Third, I over think things WAAAAY too much. The smallest thing, even a silly facebook status or something along those lines will set me back MILES. Four. I feel pathetic for feeling like this, yet if I want to talk about it, I clearly have to bring this all up. Nearly 20 and never been in a relationship doesn't scream much.

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do?
    Get talking! Although at the moment, I can't stop thinking about one person in particular, and I don't want to even flirt with anyone else, purely because I want said person so badly.

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to?
    No. But I know the second we actually get talking, I'll be fine. I fear rejection, because I know it will knock my confidence more.

5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice?
    I am a very confident person anyway, but when I look good, I really do love it. And I know that it does get noticed! I don't mean to brag, but I do get a lot of female attention, I just can never capitalise well on it.

6 - Do you ever think of yourself as 'a failure'.
    Constantly. I'm embarrased about my lack of relationships in the past. I know its not a bad thing, because I never found the right person, but at the same time, it has knocked my confidence back massively.

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?
    I'd try everything in my power to make it work. In fact, talking about said girl above, these are my thoughts exactly.

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere?
    It depends on the person giving the complement

9 - Do you ever feel inadequate compared to someone that you like?
    Definitely. Mainly because I have never been in a relationship, I feel inexperienced and that I don't know what to do, whereas they will have been, and I worry that I'll be learning massively and they'll get bored of it.

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone?
    No. I don't like lies. I am very honest, and I don't have secrets. What you see is what you get with me. If you don't like me for me, then I don't want you. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    I think good about myself, I know I'm very pretty, intelligent, skinny, but I'm not confident. Or maybe I am confidence but have low self-esteem - or perhaps its the other way around. Either way, I'm confused about why I am so unconfident around other people, even though I see myself as above them.

Perfectionist tendencies & caring too much on how people view me. I know you can't please everyone but I want to.

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do?
    I would engage in conversation, although it really depends on how I am approached. People who are too 'out there' or prying make me close up, yet people who don't know how to make conversation make me really awkward. On the whole though, at first I think I would talk for a bit, if the conversation dies I would go find my friends.

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to?
    Definitely not. Thats something I really would never do, unless I was under the influence tbh.

5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice?
    Yes.

Sometimes. I'm a perfectionist. I'm 1.64m tall and 48kg, but I still see myself failing to be skinnier. My grades are the top in my year, yet when I get one that isn't 'the best' I beat down on myself. When I got rejected from Oxford I kind of had a mental breakdown too.

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person?
    Yes, because it could. Attraction is always there for a reason.

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere?
    No.

Nope, I haven't met anyone thats made me feel like that.

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone?
    No.

Below average in terms of confidence, but extremely sure of myself, if that makes any sense.

Fear of rejection and embarassment.

After getting over the shock, I'd try to get a decent conversation going, in order to find out whether they have the right personality.

I've never actually made an approach before. Guess that means no, huh?

Looking good definitely helps, but ultimately it's about compatability.

Never.

Yes. How can you know before trying?

Yeah... I get a little paranoid and ask myself whether they're playing mind games, being sarcastic, etc., but I never let it show.

Yes, but only in terms of physical attractiveness. That's what keeps me from approaching people. I'm sure of my intellect and character.

Never.

ReputationRep:
    Not overly.
    Bad experiences, not confident with appearance.
    Talk back
    No
    Not really
    No
    No
    No
    Yeah
    No

ReputationRep:
    - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? (briefly)
    Quite confident now because I feel attractive and happy with most things. If I want something, I do my best to achieve it.
    But I used to be quite unsure of myself, in my earlier teens (had acne, braces, was just miserable really)

People maybe being unhappy with their appearance, or having family or friends who put them down.
    And things that have happened in their past.

I might be surprised at first, that someone was confident and came over, but I'd happily talk to them, if I liked them I could flirt a bit.

Not usually, but it depends on the situation.

Yes... I refuse to go out without makeup and reasonable hair. I love making an effort with my appearance and it boosts my confidence.

Only if I am suffering a depressive spell xD I never think it seriously, though I sometimes think I could work harder at stuff, but wouldnt go so far as to call myself a failure.

It would depend... If I thought I would definitely end up getting hurt or being used and was not happy with that, then I would have to seriously assess the situation. But I think there is ALWAYS going to be a risk it won't work... so sometimes you just have to grab life by the balls and go for things!

I used to, when I was in my early teens, but I am quite confident with myself now, most of the time so I would say thank you and believe them!

Not really.

No not majorly. I think people do sometimes try to act in ways that would impress another person, but I wouldn't change who I am to make someone like me.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Tom.]OK i have compiled a short questionnaire to try and gauge the different levels of confidence people have when it comes to relationships and meeting people.

Pretty confident. Like everybody, I have my moments of doubt about various things.

Aspects such as negative self image, not taking care of your body, the way others treat you, the way you were brought up etc. Also, the media to a certain extent.

If they don't look dodgy I am usually happy to talk to anybody.

I don't often find myself fancying complete strangers I've never spoken to. I would probably prefer if the guy approached me first.

I do like to make a bit of an effort if I'm going on a night out but I wouldn't say it boosts my social confidence to a huge extent. I'm just as confident meeting people in everyday situations when I am dressed casually, minimal make-up etc.

I have done in the past when I haven't put enough effort into something or not done as well as I should have done in a test/uni assignment etc.

Yes, I have done, sometimes you have to follow your heart.

Depends who it is & what the compliment is. Usually I just say thanks & accept it.

Not really, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

Have done when I was young & foolish. Wouldn't do it these days.

ReputationRep:

not very, being with my bf has made me better than i used to be but when on my own my confidence is pretty low

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence?

i was bullied a lot up until only a few years ago, both physically and mentally

hesitate, see whether they seen trustworthy. then talk for a little bit and either make a quick escape or keep talking if he seems decent

nope, not at all, i just admire from afar

a pretty outfit can make me feel more confident but i can be very self concious about the length of my dress and things like that

not really, i did when i was rejected from cambridge and durham but im fine now, im still predicted good grades

id see how it went for a bit but would say if i didnt think it was working

all the time!! my bf hates it cos he cant win, whatever he says is wrong

yup, i think my bf deserves better cos i think he's extremely sexy and i aint

no, if they dont like me for the crazy lady i am then can sod off

ReputationRep:

Around 4/10

Peer pressure + peer opinions, your own experiences (bad ones), rejection

Talk back, I'd be pretty over the moon really. I just talk a load of crap that seems to always make girls laugh ha.

I've never really done so... But I have struck up conversations with people I barely know at school - using humour again really.

I guess so, I mean I wouldn't feel confident if I looked terrible

I used to, not so much now.

Yeah I would

Yeah, usually take it with a pinch of salt

YES

Nope, no point

ReputationRep:
    How is your confidence? (A short Questionnaire)

OK i have compiled a short questionnaire to try and gauge the different levels of confidence people have when it comes to relationships and meeting people.

Not very, I always doubt myself, and if someone says I'm wrong I would probablyjust agree with them then argue.

I don't know really, the fear of upsetting people (pathetic I know!)

Be totally freaked, turn bright red, but try my best to chat to him

Never have, probably never will lol

Yes, if I know (think) I look good then I find it easier to chat to people etc.

Nope. I sometimes feel like I've failed something, or someone, but not that I am a complete failure.

Maybe, this one depends on the circumstances.

I don't really mind/care. Compliments are nice, but not the 'be all and end all'.

Yes, all the time :|

No! Whats the point in that?? I might exaggerate the better things about myself thought.... :P

ReputationRep:
    That depends, I doubt myself sometimes but I know I don't need to hide myself and can put on quite a show i necessary. Though, I don't feel this "necessity" often, so I'd go with 6/10.

Fear, nothing else. Only my fear of loosing/failing prevents me from doing what I really want, as soon as I can overcome my fear it's like it never existed in the first place.

Talk with her about her studies/life plans, I think a lot of people like telling other about it to, well, kind of reassure themselfs and get a little advice. It breaks the ice easily.

No, well, depends on how much I drank before or if I am in a good mood, its quite easy than. Usually I wouldn't do it, though.

Hell I do, its a good feeling when others tell you your efforts are actually succesfull, e.g. your looking good.

No, I think that no one is a "failure".

Is their something like "fill confidence"? I'm never 100% sure about a thing, but in love, that's not even important, if I really love someone I would at least give it a try.

No, I kinda know when they are sincere and when not.

Yes

I don't lie, but sometimes I hide things I don't want others to know about me, which could be counted as lying.

ReputationRep:
    It changes according to who I'm with really. Generally I don't have much self confidence.

Experiences when young, and the friends you have. What you base your self worth on (I.e. how many friends youhave, how clever you are etc.)

Talk back, but let him lead the conversation.

Not at all.

Yes

No, I think "Failure" is a bit final, like something you'd judge at the end of your life...and I still have my whole life to live, so I have time to rectify anything I think would make me a "failure".

Probably not

Sometimes, but I always find that I feel really awkward when someone compliments me.

Most of the time, yes

No

Ok-ish, generally 6/10 but more with things I know I'm good at like work/uni/sport.

Lack of any interest in me by any girl ever.
    Being bullied at school.
    Being the quiet guy that's always overshadowed.
    Image/reputation from previous 2 points that can't be shaken off.

Have a conversation.

Not at all, I've never done this.

Slightly.

Generally no, but in terms of relationships yes.

Probably. If I can't imagine that things could ever work out then no.

Yes, doesn't happen often but I have in the past.

Yes. Almost everyone seems to be more awesome than me and I often think why the hell someone I like would want me and not someone else.

No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by op who probably doesn't want this in their quote list, so lets make a really long seeming name that will probably span over 2 lines, gosh, I really am feeling silly right now[s)
    p[/s] ]OK i have compiled a short questionnaire to try and gauge the different levels of confidence people have when it comes to relationships and meeting people.

very

giving emotional authority over to other people

talk back and ask them fun questions that pop into my head. Should they like good twee music perhaps try to get them to dance with me.

Not sure, I don't generally have the urge to just do that. It depends entirely on the situation. Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't.

If I feel I don't look repulsive I lose confidence, if I feel I look attractive or neutral the confidence is the same.

I used to tell myself I was almost religiously. I've worked on that a lot and now I just accept the good and bad things in general.

yes, but so far I've not had to. I prefer open relationships, I don't feel they're a good place to project possessiveness.

depends what the compliment is and who said it.

only with very specific areas of my life. Generally I then try to change myself so that I'm more like what I want to be. This tends to be a very conscious decision.

I might hide the truth but I wouldn't actively lie, unless it was a jokey thing.

Please C&P the previous in a post. And please be as honest as you feel you can.

would I lie to you ?

Thanks in advance.

your welcome
    This message is too short.

ReputationRep:

Im not at all confident, and often doubt my own ability.

Paranoia. Popularity. Failing instead of succeeding. Unsure about body. Unsure about self.

Well, talk back to be polite. Although, not really take it seriosly, think it was a mick take.

No. I never do. I always think I have no chance, so what's the point.

Not really no. My confidence level stays the same.

Mostly.

No. I would have to be sure first. If they were immature for example, then I wouldn't see the point.

Yes. I always question opinions. If I can't see it, how can anyone else?

Yes. I think that I have no chance.

No. What's the point about lying about yourself? They would find out anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Fluctuates, sometimes I can have a pretty healthy ego, other times it can be pretty deflated depending on life events. But on average I'd say 7/10 maybe.

Bad experiences. With me it's things like being really awkward with someone => less confidence about conversational skills, messing up something performance-wise => stage fright kinda thing. But it works the other way round too :yep:

Probably be pretty taken aback! But I'd try and make conversation and all.

Hell. No. Not sober :p:

I guess maybe a teensy bit. But then if I'm just a pretty face who doesn't come across as interesting or likeable then what's the point?

No, I can always reassure myself with achievements but I feel more of a failure in comparison to people close to me quite alot.

Yeah, give it a chance at least

Depends on the person, with people I trust then I believe them. But there are some people who are often sarky, and some people who are outright fake and I'd probably be a bit sceptical.

Yarp. Don't most people?

I have done in the past when I was younger and stupider but definitely not anymore.

ReputationRep:
    1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself (briefly)?

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence?

Social conditioning; insecurity.

Run game on her, foo'.

3 second rule.

Mhm. All of that stuff helps 'inner game'.

6 - Do you ever think of yourself as 'a failure'?

Yep.

Definitely. It's not a big deal.

Nope.

Never; abundance mentality.

Yup.

ReputationRep:
    Quite high like a 7.5

Fear (of inadequacy/rejection/failure)

Talk to them

Yea fairly easy, alcohol helps...

Probably yeah but I pretty much always dress the same unless I am suited...

No

Yea I would give it a go

Depends who it is

No

No

ReputationRep:

I like to think that i'm a confident person, but I have my insecurities and I really hope to get over them in the near future.

Personally, my height (i'm only 5'7ish), my race, my body, rejection in front of friends, etc...

I'd start talking back of course

I wishhhh. Maybe one day.

I do at the start, but I don't use any of this confidence to actually go approach anyone, and the factors that I think attack my self-confidence, just whittle me back down again.

Sometimes, I look back and think, I could have done all that differently and life would have been so much better, but I guess I now know what I need to do to make sure I won't fail in the future.

I tried, it failed. Never doing that again.

Not really, i've been complimented enough to know where my good points are, but that was in a time where I personally think I was more 'confident'.

Nah, I just want to get with only fit people.

I would, but I find lying extremely hard to do as I don't really believe in it.

ReputationRep:
    4/10

Expectations, comparisons, physical appearance

Talk back reluctantly

Ha! Nope

Pretty much

When I'm having a bad day

Probably not

Definitely

Yeah

Maybe little things

ReputationRep:
    1 - How confident and 'sure' are you about yourself? (briefly) - I'd say I'm really quite confident with myself, around an 8 on a scale of 1-10.

2 - What do you think contributes to lack of self-confidence - Assuming I'm being judged on my bad features instead of good.

3 - Imagine a scenario: You're out with your friends and you find yourself alone, an attractive guy/girl walks over and sits down next to you and starts talking to you. What do you do? - I'd chat back, offer to buy them a drink.

4 - Do you find it easy to approach and talk to a stranger that you are attracted to? - I've never really been in that situation having been in a long term relationship for a while but I think it'd depend on the circumstances, if alcohol was involved etc.

5 - Do you gain confidence about meeting people if for example you dress up and feel good about yourself because you look nice? - Definitely, it's always nice to feel that you look good.

6 - Do you ever think of yourself as 'a failure'. - No, never.

7 - Would you ever start a relationship that you weren't fully confident would work? But you really liked the person? - Sure, you never know fully that you're right for a person and vice-versa, it's all about taking chances.

8 - If someone compliments you, do you find it difficult to believe they are sincere? - Depending on how sincere they sound. Usually I'm cool with it though.

9 - Do you ever feel inadequate compared to someone that you like? - I try not to, it has happened though.

10 - Finally - Would/do you lie about yourself to make you seem more attractive to someone? - No, I stand by 'taking me as I am'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.