Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I am going to study a History and Government degree at LSE in September, yet I come from a family of investment bankers. They have given me their advice now I would like yours. Is there any division you suggest I try to get into, with this degree? Also will NOT having an A*/A at GCSE Mathematics disadvantage me?
    Many Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think you'll be fine. You're at the LSE, that's the main thing. If you get good internships and extracurriculars under your belt, there isn't much to stop you.

I would think not having the grades at GCSE would only matter if you didn't have mathematical aptitude. They'll discover this on the psychometric tests, if it's the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bramlow)
    I personally think you'll be fine. You're at the LSE, that's the main thing. If you get good internships and extracurriculars under your belt, there isn't much to stop you.

I would think not having the grades at GCSE would only matter if you didn't have mathematical aptitude. They'll discover this on the psychometric tests, if it's the case.
    Thank you for your advice. Do you think that interning with a Politician in a different country who is involved in the economy would help? This would be done during my summer before university, this year.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't hurt, but I expect it won't make a huge difference. The really important internships are the spring and summer ones you'll have the opportunity to get with banks.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a whole family of Investment Bankers, it doesn't matter what you study .

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does, I want to get this on my own, not through them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fearless.)
    Yes it does, I want to get this on my own, not through them!
    Meh, why bark if you have a dog?

ReputationRep:
    there will be tonnes of events for you to attend at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Go for the division you want to do, rather than bizarrely framing it by degree choice.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.