Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, which would you chose!!??

ReputationRep:
    god knows - ask OllyH and FutureAfricanGameVet.

meanwhile i'm trying to choose between bristol and glasgow - fricking impossible!!

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably choose Nottingham.
    But only on a "personal" level, Bristol just didn't feel as 'right' when I visited.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, no no, don't just "ask OllyH and FutureAfricanGameVet"...they're both at Nottingham, that'd prove very pro-Notts :p:

Nottingham may have the advantage to you of the brand new course and facilities. It's not yet accredited by the RCVS, which is a definite, if not only temporary, downside. The campus, as far as I recall, means living with all the other vets and is isolated from Nottingham.

Bristol, my personal favourite, is just amazing :p:
    The course is fairly modern, with a "hands on approach" from Day 4, as they say. Everything for the first three years is all located within the city, it's having a lot of money spent on the facilities to improve them to meet the RCVS standings.

Which course structure do you prefer? Do you want to be in the city, living with everyone? There are so many contributing factors to why you might pick one over the other!
    Have you got offers for both?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter what TSR would choose, Isn't Vet Med one of those subjects where it doesn't matter what University you go to e.g. Medicine? Visit each and see how you like them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PowerLewis)
    Haha, no no, don't just "ask OllyH and FutureAfricanGameVet"...they're both at Nottingham, that'd prove very pro-Notts :p:

Nottingham may have the advantage to you of the brand new course and facilities. It's not yet accredited by the RCVS, which is a definite, if not only temporary, downside. The campus, as far as I recall, means living with all the other vets and is isolated from Nottingham.

Bristol, my personal favourite, is just amazing :p:
    The course is fairly modern, with a "hands on approach" from Day 4, as they say. Everything for the first three years is all located within the city, it's having a lot of money spent on the facilities to improve them to meet the RCVS standings.

Which course structure do you prefer? Do you want to be in the city, living with everyone? There are so many contributing factors to why you might pick one over the other!
    Have you got offers for both?
    yes they are obviously both at notts, but you are going to bristol so you're biased too.
    i said to ask them because if you recall, both of them had notts and bris offers and therefore can offer some better advice as how to make a decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_vet)
    yes they are obviously both at notts, but you are going to bristol so you're biased too.
    i said to ask them because if you recall, both of them had notts and bris offers and therefore can offer some better advice as how to make a decision
    I was joking

But I'm trying to offer the OP a constructive view of both, and trying to see which factors they'd consider important. It might be that they crave the city life or want the guarantee of current RCVS accreditation available at Bristol. Or it might be that the OP wants the latest course, as offered by Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    When choosing between the two, there are probably two main differences to focus on. The RCVS accreditation issue is largely a red herring, Nottingham will almost certainly be accredited as all the visits from the RCVS have been very positive so far.
    First, the course structure, as you probably know at Bristol is traditional pre-clinical years followed by clinical years, and doing clinical rotations in the onsite hospital. Where as Nottingham is systems based (modules are split by body systems as opposed to Anatomy, physiology, biochem etc) and clinically integrated so we'll learn skills from year 1 and hence have longer to practise them. Clinical rotations are at clinical partners, so you'll be travelling to nearby practices and taught there by Nottingham staff. There is also a research project at the start of year three accompanied by teaching of how to critically appraise academic papers etc.
    Personally, I prefer the Nottingham approach as I think it highlights the relevance of the more dry scientific learning due to integration and it allows me to practise the skills I'll be using over a period of 5 years as opposed to 1/2 years which hopefully will mean I'll be more competent and confident after graduation and yet I don't think the course misses out on any of the more academic aspects. However, it may not suit everyone, for example with a subject such as embryology it sometimes feels a little disjointed here where you'll only concentrate on a specific area at a time when embryology is arguably best tackled in chronological order as opposed to an arbitrary systems based order.

The second big difference is the location. At Nottingham you'll be living out at SB for the whole 5 years, so if you're desperate to live in the middle of a city for a few years you won't get that at Nottingham. However the transport links are very good (and most of the time free or very cheap) and I don't think the social life at SB suffers due to its location.
    At Bristol obviously you'll get the city living experience for a few years and then move out to Langford.

Nobody can tell you which one is more suitable for you so it's just a case of looking at the differences and deciding which is more suitable for you. (but Notts is better :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. 2 be)
    Thanks for all the replies! This is my first post on here and its great to get such a big response.

I live in London so i'm not too fussed about living in the city. 2 be honest, notts just felt right but I i'm a grad and remember having to make a similar decision a couple of years ago, Kings or UCL and i chose Kings coz it just felt right and now UCL is ranked so high in the country and the world! I sometimes wonder if i made the right decision especially since Kings is so bankrupt these days half their computers dnt work, theres hardly any place to study on campus.. and u pretty much have to pay for most journal papers!!!

I think i just need to revisit both unis and spend some time deciding. I also want to chose the one that will be the easiest to get back to london from.. but they seem pretty similar in that respect..
    surely if you're a grad you would choose notts cos it is so much cheaper

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=PowerLewis]Haha, no no, don't just "ask OllyH and FutureAfricanGameVet"...they're both at Nottingham, that'd prove very pro-Notts :p:QUOTE]

hehe- too right PowerLeiws, as proved by my collegues very long and fair analysis finishing with..... [QUOTE=OllyH](but Notts is better :p: )QUOTE]

once a NOtts vet ALWAYS a NOtts vet :yes: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future African game vet)
    as proved by my collegues
    Is that what you're calling each other now?! Colleagues?! :p:

(Original post by Future African game vet)
    once a NOtts vet ALWAYS a NOtts vet :yes: :woo:
    Haha, I thought as much! I knew you guys would get all sneaky and make Nottingham seem the best with your tricksy ways :p:

But really, the same could be said for any uni. I have been, since about the age of fourteen, a Bristol vet :rolleyes:

OP, if you're going in for Grad entry, where else are you applying? Presumably you know the fees aren't subsidised by the government now that you're no longer an undergraduate, so you'll pay full fees for the five years.
    Unless, as Anna mentioned, you go to Nottingham...or Cambridge and the RVC. These three are the only Vet schools to offer reduced fees for graduates so this may be one of the most important factors to consider.
    Bristol (although miles better and being in a sexy city :p:) is going to be far more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Choose LIVERPOOL!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Flip a coin

ReputationRep:
    u have a notts offer?????

ReputationRep:
    no i dnt lol

i'm thinking ahead for if i do!

ReputationRep:
    ooooo was gona say!!! u have an interview im guessing? bristol and notts yr favs?
    i personally as a grad wud go notts, notts dont give out many grads offers and the fee's would sway it for me, think how much money u would save!!
    do u have a bristol offer???

ReputationRep:
    yer i'm inclined to chose notts. i absolutely loved it at the interview ( and wasnt execting too!)

yer got a bristol offer 2 days ago..

which would u chose out of urs ?

ReputationRep:
    ooo awesoooooome!!! RVC fee's are pretty good aswell arent they for grads??
    urrrr i really dont no!!!!! my favs are bristol and edinburgh :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. 2 be)
    hey guys, which would you chose!!??
    This is Guy isn't it?
    I'm Steph (as you may have gathered, I have you on facebook, haha).

Personally I would choose Bristol if it was me, but only because I want to live in the city for the first few years and my boyfriend is here. In fact, I'm in Bristol now, sitting in his flat while he is a sleep The city is absolutely lovely, and I need nightlife to function.

However, you're at King's College now aren't you? So you've already had three years of the best nightlife in London, so maybe you want something a bit quieter in Notts? SB is lovely and the course structure is interesting.

But, before you set your heart on Notts, wait and see if you get an offer. You don't want to be really disappointed if you don't.

ReputationRep:
    'expecting'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 13, 2010

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.